Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:59:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlaystation 4
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Playstation 4  (Read 18610 times)
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 05:42:26 PM »

Thoughts:

Watchdogs looks freaking amazing. If this isn't some deceptive wall-garden of invisible walls I can see this being on of the best open-world games ever.

The sculpting stuff looks pretty cool, but all I could think of was all of the inevitable flood of penises everywhere on PSN :/

Quantic's facial tech demo really was the highlight of the show for me. The facial animations were incredible, I expect no less from the folks at Quantic, but wow, it was something to behold. I look forward to their next game for sure.

Other notable things were the fact that the system is using x86 architecture and has 8GB of system RAM (fuck, looks like the Wii U is going to end up like the Wii: very few multi-plat ports). The integration with phones/tablets could be interesting, I know a lot of people hate it, but I can see it's uses and adding something to the game (and I can also so it being ridiculously and irritatingly intrusive as well, we'll see).

Diablo III? First thought: YAWN. However, after they revealed 4-player co-op I can see it at least being a fun game to play with friends. It's also pretty cool how a lot of games are being concurrently developed on PS3/PS4 (i.e. Destiny, Diablo III, Watchdogs) it looks like late adopters won't have to salivate too much at PS4 exclusives.

WHERE THE HELL IS THE DAMN CONSOLE?!?!?!

Why do game companies keep doing this? First the initial Wii U annoucnement and only showing the gamepad off and now the PS4. I like to see the damn hardware. Hell, all we got was a glimpse of the controller. I suppose the design hasn't been finalized perhaps? Oh well, I suppose we'll get a real look at E3. Hopefully the digital download only crap is just a rumor, I'm sure it is, seeing as how Sony banks on people buying their consoles as an all-in-one media solution and if there wasn't a blue-ray player on the thing a lot of people would cry foul.

Anyhow, I am excited by what the future might bring and defintiely am looking forward to Microsoft's announcement soon as well.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
deathtotheweird
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 05:56:49 PM »

Watch Dogs looks cool but it's Ubisoft. I remember seeing early videos of Assassin's Creed and being excited and turns out that game was fucking awful.

If it was by anyone else I'd be excited for it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be disappointing.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »

Watch Dogs looks cool but it's Ubisoft. I remember seeing early videos of Assassin's Creed and being excited and turns out that game was fucking awful.

If it was by anyone else I'd be excited for it, but I'm pretty sure it's going to be disappointing.
haha yeah p much. i want to be optimistic about it but i have this feeling that all the cool looking shit is going to be smoke and mirrors and the actual gameplay is going to be pretty dull because asscreed was the same way and the games look very much alike.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 06:41:15 PM »

If you look at his parkour, it even looks like the same engine, and with that comes the impression of similar gameplay-constraints. But of course there can be no judgement until the game comes out.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 06:44:28 PM »

haha yeah p much. i want to be optimistic about it but i have this feeling that all the cool looking shit is going to be smoke and mirrors and the actual gameplay is going to be pretty dull because asscreed was the same way and the games look very much alike.

yeah, it looks like they took AC and tried to make it modern and then it wasn't AC anymore so they just named it in another way pretending a new IP.
It looks cool but every scene screams "HEY I'M SCRIPTED" and I'm afraid that in the game you will only be able to use the same template tricks over and over and shoot people, which would be pretty bad.

But hey, 8 gb GDDR5! That's sure much better than current-gen PCs and should be enough to actually make the blatant CG they showed in some trailers.

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2013, 07:12:18 PM »

It is good that sony still has a focus on horse-power. GPGPU is certainly a vital approach and the x86-cpus introduce a more native development environment.It is also good that sony keeps the focus on more precise input-tools instead of kinect or other gimmicks.

Input and horse-power are the major limitations of many game-ideas. Only better input and more power offer the ground to realise new or enhanced ideas.  

regarding the importance of power by example:

If someone of you have taken a comprehensive look of my TrapThem, just imagine to take TrapThem's block-physics into a large environment of a metroid-like setting. You need massive computation power because it has to detect cut out shapes of arbitrary size in real-time, unlike minecraft. Luckily with some effort it is a problem that can be splitted up in many threads with some effort, gpgpu with opencl or similar stuff is where the massive power comes from.

regarding input:

I still think the input can be a lot better. We have 10 fingers, and still we are using only few of them in a time-window. With 2 fingers even the best piano player cannot provide the expression he wants. With 10 fingers however you can listen to a wonderfull melody.

The same goes for games which have a focus on rich real-time interactions, I call this realm "piano-games". No game of this realm is in existence because the usual joypad only provides a fraction of the required potential, thus you end up with many poor shooters allowing you to perform only 1 or 2 repetitive actions. Not that every shooter needs to be a piano-game, the point is just that many games don't need to be plain shooters only.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 07:17:53 PM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
FGG
Level 0

Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2013, 07:32:33 PM »

The conference was simply another way of telling me that console gaming is no longer fun.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2013, 07:42:35 PM »

Depends, there was no word lost on physical copy vs cloud.

Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 08:31:41 PM »

If someone of you have taken a comprehensive look of my TrapThem, just imagine to take TrapThem's block-physics into a large environment of a metroid-like setting. You need massive computation power because it has to detect cut out shapes of arbitrary size in real-time, unlike minecraft. Luckily with some effort it is a problem that can be splitted up in many threads with some effort, gpgpu with opencl or similar stuff is where the massive power comes from.

l o l

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »

i was hoping to see the last guardian, which i've heard has been moved from the ps3 to the ps4, but no go

that's just a rumor at this point. I hope we hear about its status soon though.

ClayB
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »

What do you expect from a big corporate press event like this? Considering past e3s, I was pretty impressed. It's not everyday you get new hardware announced. The games were bleh, but the possibility of new indie titles on a platform like this excites me.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »

On input I think they miss a huge opportunity, the dual-move-shock patent would have been the true next step by merging motion with traditional input. We should not underestimate the impact of simply pointing at the screen as an input, and the motion tracking they have with move is the most robust, removing the awkwardness of the wiimote with waggle and out screen precision. Plus dual motion map correctly into two hand making interaction actually natural. Imagine a fps, pointing is superior to analog stick, now you would have dual pointing + stick navigation + stick head orientation, you could literally operate some env interaction WHILE shooting someone elsewhere, it would also ensure you have less automation (mark and execute) with greater interactivity because you always has access to one stick and 6 buttons per hand, which mean as much contextual/fixed interaction per pointing. It would have been a huge increase in interactivity bandwidth.

And instead of a plain touch pad a low quality (think gba) touchscreen would have been much better to convey important information back to the player and why not a manual or button layout or contextual feedback (off course personal info like crystal chronicle) all of these don't need retina expensive display.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »

BTW
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/sony-ps3-promises

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »

I'm still waiting on

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »

You can communicate to a new cybercity... This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:13 AM »

the matrix he?
http://io9.com/5976148/a-chip-that-turns-your-body-into-a-battery?tag=futurism
http://io9.com/5978026/an-android-you-can-make-with-a-3d-printer?tag=futurism
http://io9.com/5985558/temporary-tattoos-could-make-electronic-telepathy-and-telekinesis-possible?tag=futurism

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:10 AM »

I'm still waiting on

Actually if we are honest for a second consoles don't make really sense anymore since everything they do can be achieved on a computer or a mobile computer (for less power hungry games) plugged to your tv. The main reason for their existence is simply our cultural conditioning for ease and lazyness, people are expected to be too lazy to plug in some cables or pc-input-devices.

VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:03 AM »

Input and horse-power are the major limitations of many game-ideas. Only better input and more power offer the ground to realise new or enhanced ideas.  

regarding the importance of power by example:

Utter bullshit. Scribblenauts managed to properly do physics with various shapes with only 67 mhz and 4 MB RAM (even disregarding that everything but the sound is competing for that same CPU). That was small scale, but on modern console hardware (such as the PS3's 3200 mhz) you could easily do it on a huge scale if programmed as efficiently as in Scribblenauts. The problem with hardware limits isn't that the hardware is slow, it's that programmers these days are waaaaaay too inefficient (I'm "guilty" of this as well). You should really try coding Assembly for once and calculate how many cycles you need to perform certain tasks. You'll be amazed at how fast modern hardware really is.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »

Actually if we are honest for a second consoles don't make really sense anymore since everything they do can be achieved on a computer or a mobile computer (for less power hungry games) plugged to your tv. The main reason for their existence is simply our cultural conditioning for ease and lazyness, people are expected to be too lazy to plug in some cables or pc-input-devices.

I have yet to find a PC that plugs into a TV quite as easily as a game console, runs natively in a 10' experience, and is priced competitively with a console. We may start to see such PCs appear soon (Win8 MCPCs, SteamBox, Apple's rumored TV thing), but at the moment they are still pretty firmly in the enthusiast camp. They're not a mainstream thing just yet.

The technology has to stabilize a bit and become cheaper and more accessible to the common folk for that to happen. Once that happens, it will "explode" overnight as if no one was expecting it to.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »

What do you expect from a big corporate press event like this? Considering past e3s, I was pretty impressed. It's not everyday you get new hardware announced. The games were bleh, but the possibility of new indie titles on a platform like this excites me.

but here's the thing. the guy said that sony will CONTINUE to be the best place for indies for consoles. but, as every indie know, getting on the PSN is the hardest thing ever. very very few indie games are for sale on PSN, even compared to the wii virtual console or XBLA. it's the LEAST indie-friendly of the three major consoles. so for sony to claim that it's already the MOST indie-friendly and will continue to do what it has been doing is, as they say, a bad sign

this to me means: they won't change a thing, it'll just be the PSN all over again, impossible for the average indie to get a game on unless they are an IGF winner or something

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic