Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1027668 Posts in 41235 Topics- by 32851 Members - Latest Member: suetx2105

July 28, 2014, 06:35:23 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlaystation 4
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Playstation 4  (Read 7594 times)
ClayB
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2013, 09:45:58 PM »

What do you expect from a big corporate press event like this? Considering past e3s, I was pretty impressed. It's not everyday you get new hardware announced. The games were bleh, but the possibility of new indie titles on a platform like this excites me.
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2013, 09:52:16 PM »

On input I think they miss a huge opportunity, the dual-move-shock patent would have been the true next step by merging motion with traditional input. We should not underestimate the impact of simply pointing at the screen as an input, and the motion tracking they have with move is the most robust, removing the awkwardness of the wiimote with waggle and out screen precision. Plus dual motion map correctly into two hand making interaction actually natural. Imagine a fps, pointing is superior to analog stick, now you would have dual pointing + stick navigation + stick head orientation, you could literally operate some env interaction WHILE shooting someone elsewhere, it would also ensure you have less automation (mark and execute) with greater interactivity because you always has access to one stick and 6 buttons per hand, which mean as much contextual/fixed interaction per pointing. It would have been a huge increase in interactivity bandwidth.

And instead of a plain touch pad a low quality (think gba) touchscreen would have been much better to convey important information back to the player and why not a manual or button layout or contextual feedback (off course personal info like crystal chronicle) all of these don't need retina expensive display.

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »

BTW
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/02/sony-ps3-promises

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 12:10:13 AM »

I'm still waiting on this

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2013, 01:31:59 AM »

You can communicate to a new cybercity... This will be the ideal home server. Did you see the movie The Matrix? Same interface. Same concept. Starting from next year, you can jack into The Matrix!
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

Feminism is back!

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2013, 01:49:13 AM »

the matrix he?
http://io9.com/5976148/a-chip-that-turns-your-body-into-a-battery?tag=futurism
http://io9.com/5978026/an-android-you-can-make-with-a-3d-printer?tag=futurism
http://io9.com/5985558/temporary-tattoos-could-make-electronic-telepathy-and-telekinesis-possible?tag=futurism

J-Snake
Level 10

a fool with a tool is still a fool

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2013, 02:35:10 AM »

I'm still waiting on this
Actually if we are honest for a second consoles don't make really sense anymore since everything they do can be achieved on a computer or a mobile computer (for less power hungry games) plugged to your tv. The main reason for their existence is simply our cultural conditioning for ease and lazyness, people are expected to be too lazy to plug in some cables or pc-input-devices.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.

Super Metroid Tournament: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=38039.0

TrapThem: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=222597670
VDZ
Level 3

My post is there read that instead ->

supervdz@dolfijn.nl
View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2013, 03:10:03 AM »

Input and horse-power are the major limitations of many game-ideas. Only better input and more power offer the ground to realise new or enhanced ideas.  

regarding the importance of power by example:

If someone of you have taken a comprehensive look of my TrapThem, just imagine to take TrapThem's block-physics into a large environment of a metroid-like setting. You need massive computation power because it has to detect cut out shapes of arbitrary size in real-time, unlike minecraft. Luckily with some effort it is a problem that can be splitted up in many threads with some effort, gpgpu with opencl or similar stuff is where the massive power comes from.
Utter bullshit. Scribblenauts managed to properly do physics with various shapes with only 67 mhz and 4 MB RAM (even disregarding that everything but the sound is competing for that same CPU). That was small scale, but on modern console hardware (such as the PS3's 3200 mhz) you could easily do it on a huge scale if programmed as efficiently as in Scribblenauts. The problem with hardware limits isn't that the hardware is slow, it's that programmers these days are waaaaaay too inefficient (I'm "guilty" of this as well). You should really try coding Assembly for once and calculate how many cycles you need to perform certain tasks. You'll be amazed at how fast modern hardware really is.
TomHunt
Level 2

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 03:25:26 AM »

Actually if we are honest for a second consoles don't make really sense anymore since everything they do can be achieved on a computer or a mobile computer (for less power hungry games) plugged to your tv. The main reason for their existence is simply our cultural conditioning for ease and lazyness, people are expected to be too lazy to plug in some cables or pc-input-devices.

I have yet to find a PC that plugs into a TV quite as easily as a game console, runs natively in a 10' experience, and is priced competitively with a console. We may start to see such PCs appear soon (Win8 MCPCs, SteamBox, Apple's rumored TV thing), but at the moment they are still pretty firmly in the enthusiast camp. They're not a mainstream thing just yet.

The technology has to stabilize a bit and become cheaper and more accessible to the common folk for that to happen. Once that happens, it will "explode" overnight as if no one was expecting it to.

ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »

What do you expect from a big corporate press event like this? Considering past e3s, I was pretty impressed. It's not everyday you get new hardware announced. The games were bleh, but the possibility of new indie titles on a platform like this excites me.

but here's the thing. the guy said that sony will CONTINUE to be the best place for indies for consoles. but, as every indie know, getting on the PSN is the hardest thing ever. very very few indie games are for sale on PSN, even compared to the wii virtual console or XBLA. it's the LEAST indie-friendly of the three major consoles. so for sony to claim that it's already the MOST indie-friendly and will continue to do what it has been doing is, as they say, a bad sign

this to me means: they won't change a thing, it'll just be the PSN all over again, impossible for the average indie to get a game on unless they are an IGF winner or something

Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 04:30:08 AM »

Just make a fun, bugless and chrome-polished game and you'll get on PSN in no time.

Wait, I see why that would be very hard...  Huh?
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 04:40:22 AM »

there are reasons there are so few indie games for the psn. count the number of them and compare them to the number on the xbla and wii virtual console -- it's something on the order of five to ten times fewer. it's the most tightly closed of all of the closed platforms. i'm in a couple of business related indie game mailing lists so i've heard the private stories of people trying to get games on the psn, and almost without exception they have nightmare stories of how unfriendly sony was towards them, and how terrible they were to work with

Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2013, 04:47:35 AM »

Well, I can easily imagine that, with Sony being a humongous company. They have guidelines for guidelines, they're THAT big. And the bigger they are, the harder to deal with they get. It's like a fly poking an elephant to ask it for some sugar, then the elephant takes forever to notice the fly and by the time it turns around to respond, the fly's long past its lifetime.

Microsoft has its shit a little better organized, so it isn't as painful (not that there is no pain at all when dealing with them. Ugh.)
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2013, 04:52:42 AM »

well, it's not just that they don't notice small indies, it's that even indies that already have games on the psn or indies where sony has accepted their game for the psn and they're in the process of getting it on have their emails ignored for months sometimes, or aren't paid on time, or are led along and led to believe that their game is just about to launch on the psn only to have sony suddenly change their mind without explanation, things like that

and these aren't just unknown indies i'm talking about, i mean people who already have games on xbla and steam and have sold in some cases millions of copies who also sometimes get this treatment

Mipe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2013, 04:57:29 AM »

Yeah, that is why you need to have at least a cousin working in Sony to get things done.

Still looking for a Japanese girlfriend (can be slightly tsun, it's OK, I dig it) with at least one of parents working in Sony.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic