Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:49:41 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsKingdoms Rise
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Print
Author Topic: Kingdoms Rise  (Read 61221 times)
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »

Clock wipes yo!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2013, 09:43:51 PM »

been working on a tutorial level, today I made all the pop-up control hints.
It's the first proper tutorial I've made (I don't count the one from little dragon since it basically just gives the user a bunch of text to read)

PS: oops, i totally just noticed that I told people to press the right trigger and yet highlighted the left one :S

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2013, 10:06:15 PM »

We recently got physics assets floating around the level to respond to being walked into or hit by swords, see
http://www.indiedb.com/games/kingdoms-rise/videos/physics-interaction-with-weapons-and-player

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2013, 11:17:48 PM »

I love those animations and sounds.

R.D.
Level 2

Making a game about balls. Yepp.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 01:47:20 AM »

This looks really nice. The attack animations are a bit slow a wacky imho. When he holds up his sword to start then swing should be much faster. Or is this intended? (I kinda looked like the waggle sword from Skyward Sword)

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2013, 04:07:25 AM »

This looks really nice. The attack animations are a bit slow a wacky imho. When he holds up his sword to start then swing should be much faster. Or is this intended? (I kinda looked like the waggle sword from Skyward Sword)

The game has direction parries, so when starting an attack the animation needs to make the attack direction clear to anyone wishing to defend themselves and also needs to give enough time to react, it might look silly in isolation like this, but trust be, when you get into playing this against other people for the first time you'll think it's too dam fast!

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2013, 04:39:46 AM »

FINALLY, submitted a build of KR to the PAX Australia Indie Showcase, hopefuly the guys who judge it will enjoy the game, I would really love to get to go to a tradeshow as an exhibitor!

It's been so intense rushing this build together, at least I can relax a bit this weekend now Smiley

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: April 08, 2013, 11:04:30 PM »

fleshed out a bunch of helmet designs i've had floating around my head for a while,
tell us which ones you like,

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 08, 2013, 11:26:12 PM »

First three look best Smiley

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2013, 12:05:57 AM »

Not the horns, please. That's a silly Hollywood invention.

(Unless they break off when you get hit in the game. Then it would actually be kinda neat.)

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2013, 05:14:15 AM »

Atrus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2013, 01:02:04 PM »

4, 5, 6  Coffee
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2013, 01:12:06 PM »

I'd like to seem them without the wireframes, but they all look cool.

Kinda hard to read what's going on in the face region of 2.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »

Paul coded in a rad sword trail effect yesterday, what do you think of it?

Uykered
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »

Looks nice in image form, except the start of the trail is contrasted too much. Hard to offer a proper opinion without seeing a longer movie of it though.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2013, 10:42:06 PM »

Looks nice in image form, except the start of the trail is contrasted too much. Hard to offer a proper opinion without seeing a longer movie of it though.
the video is on the facebook and twitter
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 01:26:13 AM by Jackson31 » Logged

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2013, 02:46:01 AM »

New map in progress,

Also, responding to some user feedback re "it's too hard to see which direction enemies are attacking from, thier sword blends in with the background", we have made the sword glow and 'power up' as you perform attacks

In addition we have done some work displaying player HP using a screen filter and 'edge blood'

Check out all of the above here;

Uykered
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2013, 03:29:36 AM »

That looks really nice, great environment too! Would it be less confusing if the sword wasn't always creating a trail but only when swung?
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2013, 05:31:23 AM »

Sorry if this has been answered before, but is this game going to have inverse kinetics that enables dynamic motion like stopping incoming attack animations at precise angles of impact so that you won't find objects passing through each other in replays (apart from when metal goes through flesh)? Or even morphing into entirely new animations if you can deflect attacks in new directions to create dynamic openings for your next attacks?

Ever since I saw the first Hitman game, I've lamented the lack of inverse kinetics in games like Mount & Blade which feel so canned that combat really isn't interesting on the individual level. I guess Die By The Sword did this, but their implementation was quite clunky.

Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2013, 05:44:30 AM »

It doesn't yet have much IK controlling the blades hitting blades, instead the system uses and insane amount of animations all blending into one another dynamicaly to make the outcome look good and prevent object clipping.

It is still possible for swords to clip, but later down the track I hope to add more IK into the animation system, since I agree, the technology is there, it's existed for a very long time, but most game devs still hardly use it to enhance the look of their games (save for Wolfire, those guys are IK crazy)

On an unrelated note, here's a gif i made for fun;

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 19
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic