Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1057130 Posts in 42938 Topics- by 34885 Members - Latest Member: nmonte

October 25, 2014, 01:27:18 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeDesignLooking for a tool for gamedesign/planing...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for a tool for gamedesign/planing...  (Read 1079 times)
Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

78633171 Squirrelsquid@hotmail.de
View Profile
« on: February 20, 2013, 06:33:26 PM »

I am currently trying to find a tool, of which I saw a trailer like a year ago... sadly I can't seem to recall the name of it, and google searches have been tedious and not crowned with success, sadly.
The Software was designed for planing game design, not actually designing a running game. Useful for Game design Documents and so on.
It kept track on all items you created, so if you changed the items' name or description, it would be changed on all other instances. You were able to make the document fit in graphically with your ingame content, by using any amount of images you'd wanted and are able to lay down even complex story structures with crossreferences to enemies, items etc. without making it look cluttered/unreadable.
Maybe anyone has an idea what it was, I'd be most grateful.  Gentleman
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 04:12:57 AM »

I would be really interested in this, too.

I've seen a few tools means for books, but not for games.  Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of them.  If I find them, I'll come back and post, in case they help.

Edit:  Found http://www.tripwiremagazine.com/2010/01/17-fantastic-apps-made-especially-for-writers.html which seems to be a decent list of novel writing softwares.  Might help.
Copywright
Level 0

roscoe's wetsuit

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2013, 07:56:50 PM »

I think what you refer to is articy: draft, recently greenlit on Steam. Really great tool for branching dialog, world maps, and character development.
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 04:10:37 AM »

That looks nice, but so pricey.  Sad  Thanks for posting it!
forwardresent
Level 5

UNINTENTIONALLY DEADPAN.

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:21 AM »

If articy was more affordable and didn't have such awful licensing it would be excellent. The Steam version is essentially the non commercial EUR100 student version from what I can tell from their forums.

I guess I'll stick with yEd and my flow charts.
forwardresent
Level 5

UNINTENTIONALLY DEADPAN.

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 03:26:42 PM »

I grabbed Articy on Steam, and it's neat, I like it and it has potential. Some major things need added but development is ongoing and I think the Steam version will be updated until 2.0 (still awaiting some confirmation on that).

It looks like a flowchart program, but it's got much more depth than that. It'll be useful to have handy when designing narrative based games.

It's current exporting options are pretty bad, that's my only real complaint.
pelle
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »

I use org-mode for everything that needs organizing, like game design.

http://orgmode.org/

Squirrelsquid
Pixelhead
Level 1

oh! you need that nut?

78633171 Squirrelsquid@hotmail.de
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 02:37:56 AM »

I think what you refer to is articy: draft, recently greenlit on Steam. Really great tool for branching dialog, world maps, and character development.
Yea, that was it. I was pretty surprised to find it on steam yesterday. I was confused with the licensing model at first too. As far as I can tell from their forum posts on steam forums regarding this, it seems as if you are able to use it as a commercial product, though they rely on your good will to upgrade to a commercial license once you reel in enough profit that you can easily fund it. They likely wouldn't start a witch hunt either if you would not upgrade it... Anyways, I'll buy it later this month when I have the funds for it.
forwardresent
Level 5

UNINTENTIONALLY DEADPAN.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

Just on the off chance anyone interested is a student they're updating to articy 2.0 soon (Steam will remain at 1.5) with some neat new features and they offer a student license from their site for roughly(or exactly) the same price as SE.

If this was clear on the Steam page I probably would have bought it through them for the extra features. Hell I'll even pay for an upgrade to 2.0 on Steam if they did something like combine it with the professional license upgrade.

I've asked about Steam updates, and the devs responded positively saying that sales on Steam were good and they might consider it later on in the year.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

Before you drop any money, I'd suggest giving EverNote and TiddlyWiki a try.  I use the former for collating random notes, and the latter for complex interrelated things like API documentation, nonlinear story design and worldbuilding.

TiddlyWiki is a single HTML file that contains a whole wiki inside it that you can easily send to people, keep on an SVN or upload to a website.  Check out these API docs I'm writing with it.

...Oh, and if you ever do any fictional languages or similar stuff check out SIL's "Flex", a free research tool.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
forwardresent
Level 5

UNINTENTIONALLY DEADPAN.

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:45:07 PM »

Before you drop any money, I'd suggest giving EverNote and TiddlyWiki a try. 

...Oh, and if you ever do any fictional languages or similar stuff check out SIL's "Flex", a free research tool.

Flex looks very neat, I'll definitely check that out.

Before dropping any money I recommend you try the demo of Articy for the 30 days and try all of the free alternatives, last thing you want is to shell out for something that doesn't quite match your needs.

Take into consideration how you plan on using it, whether you're solo or part of a team, and how well the program does that.
Muz
Level 10

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:45 PM »

Scrivener's quite good too, it's designed more for novel writers and such, but good for say, world development. However, I think Evernote beats it a little in workflow recently.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 05:53:29 AM »

TiddlyWiki looks cool. I use emacs. Shocked
Versigtig
Level 0

... carefully, now.

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2013, 05:58:18 AM »

TiddlyWiki does look pretty awesome, actually. My game designing friends and I usually just use shared Google Drives when editing, planning, designing, or etceteraing for a videogame.

Gonna have to try out this Wiki thing, though, as it looks pretty promising! For some reason organizing "stuff" is one of my favorite things to do. I'll usually spend more time perfecting an organization system (labels, document-structure, colors denoting special meanings, etc.) then I will when writing the actual content that goes into there!

Oh, I did have one service I thought was pretty neat before I moved to Google Drive: Rizzoma. It is very similar to Google drive in some aspects but is different and feature rich enough to be worth a look see. (My favorite part about it was editing stuff with others in real time. And then I learned Drive did that too~)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 07:53:40 AM »

Rizzoma looks intriguing. I was just thinking about collaboration tools that were more flowy.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic