Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:18:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignUT99 vs Quake/s
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: UT99 vs Quake/s  (Read 5644 times)
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »

UT99 - Weapons are Ace.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59:13 AM »

They're also as well-balanced as could possibly be expected of a game with actually interesting mechanics that can't easily be mapped to a spreadsheet.
Quake can't be mapped any more easily to a spreadsheet than UT. You seem to overlook it but there aren't only weapons and their stats...

Further, given that UT has more viable combat options in general than Q3
And this is not true. The fact that UT has redundant weapons doesn't mean that you have more viable combat options. As said above, it isn't just about weapons.

If the choice is between an interesting poorly balanced game and an uninteresting well-balanced game - don't play either.  At least, not for very long.  Play UT instead!
Or any Quake game (interesting well-balanced game)...

I'm cheating, but the link gun from later games buffs the floor with every idea iD software ever had (which isn't saying nearly enough), and is one of the nicest and most elegant pieces of game design ever game designed.
What? A combination of plasma gun and laser gun (which is by the way the same thing as UT99 plasma gun) is better than everything ever made by id soft?  You don't even have to say anything anymore. It's clear that you're biased and probably secretly hate Quake games (probably because your ass got kicked when playing it)
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2013, 08:17:57 AM »

He's probably talking about the ability to link to team mates for more damage (and heal stuff in weird game modes).

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2013, 08:24:52 AM »

He's probably talking about the ability to link to team mates for more damage (and heal stuff in weird game modes).
Oh this thing. Yeah, that's nice, but saying that that single weapon is better than everything ever from id soft is just dumb, sorry.

By the way, the healing AFAIK works in every team mode.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2013, 03:47:32 PM »

Oh this thing. Yeah, that's nice, but saying that that single weapon is better than everything ever from id soft is just dumb, sorry.

By the way, the healing AFAIK works in every team mode.
I meant it's a better idea than anything they ever came up with, not everything all together.  That's also not even remotely outrageous either - iD for all their nice qualites (when they were in their prime) was hardly a house of ideas.  That just wasn't the sort of thing they did.  I'm not going to bother responding to that other post, I really don't think you're ready to have this conversation and I don't even think you would understand if I made an effort to explain why you're wrong. 
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »

Damn did I miss this discussion...

Anyway, both Unreal and Quake are great games, for it's time and still.
Quake is the better shooter I think, it's movement is just better, but some things in Unreals lore and game modes I really enjoy and the campaign is better.

Oh and the music, the music from Unreal Tournament is really really good, some of the tunes, like Mechanism Eight and Underword II are just two of the best tracks ever made (I think).

I've been making levels for all Quake games, but mostly Q3, never got into Unreal, mostly because of the issues I have with it's movement. I also think, that the level design, where it matters is better in Quake than Unreal, especially the newer Unreals.

(only reason why I'm not making Q3 levels right now, is because I've been so damn busy working with entire games...)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 04:02:59 PM by Hipshot » Logged

Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »

gota goo fast

Super Heavy perk > gotta go fast

=)

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59:57 PM »

Newer Unreals are different games. It is about UT99 here.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Ziggurat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2013, 08:03:35 PM »

Quake 1 (netquake, not qw) for me. Quake 1 was when I first started to realize people could actually be a level designer as a career. It was also when I began to understand how important level design is to replayability (while playing ctf 6+ hrs a night!). Some of the amateur level designers that influenced me significantly are still in the industry now

headshot, ztn, iikka keränen, matthias worch, pingu
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 09:12:15 PM »

why do you prefer netquake to qw?

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2013, 04:15:37 AM »

I meant it's a better idea than anything they ever came up with, not everything all together.
That's more reasonable. I can understand that. Some of the UT weapons are nice. But that doesn't make it so much better game than Q3 because of just that.

I'm not going to bother responding to that other post, I really don't think you're ready to have this conversation and I don't even think you would understand if I made an effort to explain why you're wrong.
I don't know. You started this thing:
Quote from: Sharkoss
Further, people who like Q3 are stupid babies what wet themselves.
I like Unreal games (especially Unreal and UT99) and I think they are great games. I never said anything different. But you just said that Q3 is bad (and it's players are dumb) and didn't even write any good arguments as to why.
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2013, 05:59:37 AM »

When it comes down to it, putting your headphones on, getting that adrenaline up, Quake just is the better game.

However I'm twisting this around, I can't come to any other conclusion.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2013, 07:22:34 AM »

really?

Ziggurat
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2013, 11:00:28 AM »

the physics changes, which might have been a non-issue for most people, kind of broke ctf which is what we played the most. in qw ctf you could jump and then immediately grapple the ground directly in front of you and release for a huge speed boost. this was kind of akin to "skiing" in tribes, except on any flat surface. to us, this broke ctf.

all the local lans and competitions still used nq too.

there was an intense rivalry between nq and qw ctf players too which was really funny. it seemed like most other communities all migrated to qw and weren't split as much as we were. I guess it didn't break other mods quite as much.
Sharkoss
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2013, 03:45:50 PM »

really?

That was intentional (read it aloud).  The whole sentence is an ironic joke and was not meant to be taken as a serious insult - if anything it was self-deprecating.  I mean, just look at it: it starts of with 'Further,' slips in a grammatical error and accuses Q3 players of being stupid self-wetting babies.  Normally I'd say you can't blame the audience ... but this is Quake 3 fans we're talking about.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2013, 05:30:57 AM »

the physics changes, which might have been a non-issue for most people, kind of broke ctf which is what we played the most. in qw ctf you could jump and then immediately grapple the ground directly in front of you and release for a huge speed boost. this was kind of akin to "skiing" in tribes, except on any flat surface. to us, this broke ctf.

all the local lans and competitions still used nq too.

there was an intense rivalry between nq and qw ctf players too which was really funny. it seemed like most other communities all migrated to qw and weren't split as much as we were. I guess it didn't break other mods quite as much.

I never realized that. I switched to QW quite fast. In fact I think it's possible that I may have never played CTF on netquake.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic