Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 06:30:19 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJapanese Indie Games
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Japanese Indie Games  (Read 8945 times)
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »

having a special ending for getting all characters doesnt seem that ridiculous to me
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »

having a special ending for getting all characters doesnt seem that ridiculous to me
Damn right. Play Suikoden and watch the last scene, where they refer Gremio. You will restart the damn game to get him back after knowing it can be done.

Yeah.
feminazi
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »

dum da diferenc betwen "western" and "japanese" gams r just japanes gams r stil coin op gams

/super dum generalization
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »

and usa games want to have an oscar
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »

most of the games i played (maybe 90%) i played before youtube existed (and before gamefaqs existed for that matter) -- so i still feel it's cheating to go and look up how to get a secret ending, let alone to watch it on youtube
GameFAQs was launched in 1995. Have you really gamed so little in the past 18 years that everything you played during that time only makes up 10% of all games you've played total?
feminazi
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »

most of the games i played (maybe 90%) i played before youtube existed (and before gamefaqs existed for that matter) -- so i still feel it's cheating to go and look up how to get a secret ending, let alone to watch it on youtube
GameFAQs was launched in 1995. Have you really gamed so little in the past 18 years that everything you played during that time only makes up 10% of all games you've played total?
he makes gams unliek u
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2013, 07:38:47 PM »

correct

i was born in 1978 and the majority of games that i played were in the 80s and early 90s. i haven't really played many games since then

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2013, 10:00:23 PM »

In case you didn't realize it yourself you changed your position from "The best action games come from the East period." to "I don't like action games from the West period."
No, I didn't notice, and still don't.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2013, 01:24:22 PM »

Hint: you arbitrarily exclude a pretty fucking major subgenre of action games dominated by western developers (seemingly because you happen to suck at them?) instead of removing your "period" and adding an exception.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2013, 04:58:35 PM »

correct

i was born in 1978 and the majority of games that i played were in the 80s and early 90s. i haven't really played many games since then

I too was born in 1978 but during a blustery January on my granddad's birthday. However, I don't think I would have been able to beat SMB1 without some "Nintendo Power" tips a friend had shared with me nor would I have been able to exploit the turtle shell trick until my lives went past numbers to letters and the subsequent world of glitch. Having too many lives became the last life. And since then I have learned it is okay to sometimes play efficiently and academically.

Digressing aside, I have a game to share.

BigMan

Mash Z, X, C and V until the little people kill you.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2013, 07:25:07 PM »

i beat smb1 without using that 1up trick actually. i actually could never get that trick to work. i remember reading it in NP, and trying it, but i could never figure out how to get it to work. but even before i knew about that trick i had beaten the game; it's not a particularly hard game. the hardest part for me was level (i think) 8-1, which had a jump where you need to run *over* a small gap in the floor and then make a big jump. it took me a while to figure out that you can run over gaps of 1 tile without falling in

but anyway, 78 to 95 is still 17 years. i think it's fair to say that *most* of the games i've played (maybe not exactly 90%, but certainly more than 75%) i played in my childhood, before i was 18. after 18 i haven't really had much interest in playing games. i make games, but i don't actually enjoy playing them all that much as a hobby. i still keep up with a few series that i liked as a kid, but even that has begun to stop. for instance, my username, "rinkuhero", is named after link from the zelda games. zelda1 is my favorite game, and i love the zelda series. but even so, i haven't played most of the new ones. the most recent one i played was wind waker. i simply have zero interest in playing any more zelda games, even though it's my favorite videogame series of all time

the only games i really play now are league of legends (for social reasons, since a lot of my friends play it), and the occasional indie game that looks interesting (especially if the indie game was made by a friend of mine). i spend maybe twenty minutes a day on average playing games, compared to when i was a kid, where i'd often play games for 6 or more hours a day

i think a big part of this is just that i don't enjoy most of the genres being created today. i hate FPS games for example, and can't play them at all (as eva will tell you; whenever i tried to play halo with her i just wound up shooting at the floor half the time and getting scores like 0 kills 33 deaths). i also hate actiony-rpgs (rpgs that aren't turn-based) and most rpgs today are not turn based. so basically a new game in a genre that i'm interested in (turn based strategy/tactics, or turn based RPG) rarely is released. the last "big budget" game that i enjoyed was civilization 5, and, before that, persona 4

i'm not saying i'm typical for my age range; i'm sure there are people who are my age who still play games regularly, it's just that in my particular case i don't enjoy most of the games being created anymore. that's part of why i'm making games, i want to make games for people like me, who have tastes similar to my own in games, because so very few people are making games for people with my tastes
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:32:13 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

flowerthief
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2013, 02:09:18 PM »

Hint: you arbitrarily exclude a pretty fucking major subgenre of action games dominated by western developers (seemingly because you happen to suck at them?) instead of removing your "period" and adding an exception.

(shrug) If all it takes to make you happy is removing the "period", fine, remove the period.  It was there to contrast with the statement I was originally replying to. That is, it's not just the best shmups that come from the East, it's the best action games generally. In a similar way, a person might say people from Country A are the best at swimming after seeing Country A win 70% of the Olympic swimming events even though Country B might have won a few. (not that that in any way proves such a statement of opinion any more than anything I can say can prove my statement of opinion; the best one can do is state reasons to support the opinion) I thought all this was understood.

Would replacing "period" with "generally" lower your irrate meter? Because in case you didn't realize it yourself, a person comes off as irrate when they suddenly start cussing and caricaturizing another person's posts with unsubstantiated nonsense like saying he doesn't like Western games or that he sucks at them.

In case I'm still not being clear, I'll go out and say that the West *does* make some great 3D shooters. No, the East doesn't own us in that area. I just don't think this counts for as much as some people do. Not when these games tend to rehash the same mechanics and same engines that weren't that good in the first place. The East makes fewer 3D shooters but sometimes, ya know, they impress me more. (For instance, RE4, which influenced several notable Western shooters such as Gears of War, Dead Space, and Uncharted--all good games, I'd agree) I think they like to build engines for specific games, which results in the games being more unique albeit fewer in number.  Just that someone makes more of something doesn't impress me. Just because someone makes something that is popular doesn't impress me either. Otherwise I'd be worshipping Farmville.
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2013, 06:49:34 PM »

a lot of japanese games have complicated mechanics that are are almost completely abstracted from the game's "world." (what does the combo counter represent in devil may cry for instance?). i think its rooted in arcade games and their highscore mechanics which are also completely abstract and sort of bleeds into things like jrpgs and tactics games and etc as well.

The bigger question is why arcades are a bigger deal in Japan in the first place. They didn't die out over there, and were always pretty big. That's my understanding. Western players need to invest in the "world" more. In Japan it's drilled into you that the world is this system. You have duties and you must adhere to them. Do X, Y, Z. Don't lead with your emotions because that's disrespectful. Study them then master what is being asked of you.

In the West we'll go crazy to accomplish something because it suits our "character" that we defined. That's our choice. Getting a high score? How does the relate to our instincts? That's just doing what you're told. We have more self-respect than that....

You see a Japanese player playing a coin-op shooter in the west. They hold the gun by the top then use a finger on their other hand to flick back and forth between the trigger and reload trigger - generalization. Why? More points. I wouldn't do that because it's out of character. "I'm man enough to do it for real." (low score).

... Or maybe it's just about choice.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2013, 08:01:59 PM »

the best videogames come from Eastern Europe, usually Russia or Poland. japan seems to emphasize what are known as japanese-style rpgs (heavy on the awful storytelling and boring teenagers, light on quality or any kind of merit) or shmups, which are alright if you like that sort of thing and have the fervent desire to impress another person with your inherently uncreative videogame skills, that being the only purpose of a scoring mechanic apart from (space purposefully left blank to emphasize the lack of any other reason)

this is also true in independent games
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 08:13:14 PM by crowe » Logged
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2013, 08:05:08 PM »

I like JRPGs about boring teenagers, and anime.
Uykered
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »

or shooters, which are alright if you like that sort of thing and have the fervent desire to impress another person with your inherently uncreative videogame skills

Dum. I love shooters, because they're thrilling and exciting etc. I don't play any game to impress someone else, that'd be silly (that's not a thing specific to shooters anyway.)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2013, 12:01:11 PM »

The scoring systems in shmups are fun to work out and are kinda crucial for games where you're playing stage one a million times trying to beat them. Even if you're stuck at a particular part in the game you can still try to score better on the parts you have beaten. And in a lot of shmups you get extends for score so playing to win and playing for score kinda work together in a more direct way.

So most of the time you're just trying to impress yourself earning these scores... you know, if you're on a particularly high-scoring run for yourself it raises the stakes and makes it more exciting. But if you know other people playing the game and want to compete/compare/learn/improve together then that's just another enjoyable aspect of the game. I don't see why any of that is silly.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »

btw im fucking sick of the assumption that everyone who likes "difficult" and/or "complex" games is an "elitist nerd" who wants "impress" other nerds or stroke their own ego or w/e the fuck.
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2013, 02:25:20 PM »

I don't think playing or trying to succeed at difficult games make you elitist, but I do think playing for score is something people do to impress others if that makes sense. It's such an arbitrary measurement of success in a lot of games that use scoring mechanics.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2013, 02:45:21 PM »

It's such an arbitrary measurement of success in a lot of games that use scoring mechanics.
that's true and i haven't really played any gams for score. i wasn't even really responding to your post, just the general sentiment that ive seen expressed against ppl who like so-called "hardcore" games.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic