Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411497 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:32:05 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJapanese Indie Games
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Japanese Indie Games  (Read 8949 times)
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 02:57:53 PM »

For me score is a measure to challenge myself to get better at a game. Wether its breaking my high score or not.

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2013, 03:14:26 PM »

score seems to just be a motivator to encourage players to understand and try to subvert the system more. i guess that's lazy, but i guess the other alternative of creating a design that demands it would probably alienate players. so i'm fine with it. i know it's there. it's nothing.

at the same time, i feel that the intent that a lot of western games give about building "characters" actually restricts or undermines agency, because meaningful effects are diluted for the sake of the design. and even then, a lot of western games try to avoid narrative dissonance, and we end up with schlock like uncharted.

aka no matter what ur a loser when you play vidcons
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:22:49 PM by kummerspeck » Logged

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Zeredek
Level 0

Call me Zerb B)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 06, 2013, 12:56:11 PM »

Actually, just to make sure, everyone knows about Warning Forever, right? If not, go play it, it's awesome.

Speaking of Warning Forever.
Did anyone else play the Indie RTS based on it?
It was called Battleships Forever, and is probably my favourite Indie Game of all time.
Too bad he never finished it.

ra51
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2013, 08:30:21 AM »

Speaking of Warning Forever.
Did anyone else play the Indie RTS based on it?
It was called Battleships Forever, and is probably my favourite Indie Game of all time.
Too bad he never finished it.

I played it before and it was...ok. Kinda interesting to create a ship and let it go at it against other creations. However, the same author did attempt (at least i think it was him) an actually shmup game himself and implemented a key combo system which i thought was quite unique for that genre.
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 14, 2013, 08:34:11 PM »

i think a big part of this is just that i don't enjoy most of the genres being created today. i hate FPS games for example, and can't play them at all (as eva will tell you; whenever i tried to play halo with her i just wound up shooting at the floor half the time and getting scores like 0 kills 33 deaths). i also hate actiony-rpgs (rpgs that aren't turn-based) and most rpgs today are not turn based. so basically a new game in a genre that i'm interested in (turn based strategy/tactics, or turn based RPG) rarely is released. the last "big budget" game that i enjoyed was civilization 5, and, before that, persona 4

Do you like chess? Because chess.com and some word games are games I like to play. There I would like to discuss with anyone who would like to discuss making indie games on facebook, I'd be happy to discuss with you while turn-based-playing.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
GameBoy
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2013, 11:32:27 AM »

the best videogames come from Eastern Europe, usually Russia or Poland.
Can you expand that? I'm from Poland, but I don't think that the best games comes form us.
Sure, some Polish devs made games like Witcher, Painkiller, Bulletstorm, Dead Island and Russian devs made Pathologic, Turgor/Tension/The Void (it had different titles in various countries), Stalker (it's from Ukraine though, but for some it's still Russia Smiley ).
These are great games, but I'm sure they are not the best. Maybe except Stalker.

Anyway, from Japanese games I love Irisu Syndrome:
http://www.vector.co.jp/soft/dl/win95/game/se463417.html
English translation:
http://www.mediafire.com/?nlujzb91wjl0bu7

It's a mixture of tetris-like game and visual novel. You unlock story by beating milestones (every 10 000 points). Story is quite good and delivered by messing with ingame files and some other weird tricks. Gameplay is VERY good. It's simple and complex at the same time.

Truth is overrated. Avoid it at all cost. Tom Waits
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

There's also the games by Reality Pump (the Earth 21X0 series, Two Worlds 2, etc), and then there's Necrovision, Silent Storm, Call of Juarez, Real Warfare 2

and some other games which are not the best, but still good, i.e. Knights of Honor, which was made in Bulgaria
TacoBell_Lord
Level 2

Burrito Connoisseur

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2013, 11:31:05 PM »

I literally googled this same title this morning

RPG Gamer/Burrito Addict

Explore the Cosmos. Working on Project 88x doods.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic