Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

999477 Posts in 39224 Topics- by 30630 Members - Latest Member: FlyingShisno

April 23, 2014, 07:27:34 PM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesJapanese Indie Games
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Japanese Indie Games  (Read 4176 times)
Tuba
Level 8

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »

Extra-Credits has a nice video about how guns are portrayed differently in american and japanese games: http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/the-myth-of-the-gun

Relevant to the debate, I think.

And keep mentioning worthy japanese indie games, I don't know many aside from the ones from Nigoro and Nekogames

John Sandoval
Cpt. Dum
Global Moderator
Level 10

get mad

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 10:17:11 AM »

ikkiki, pixel

flowerthief
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »

The Extra Credit guys have also argued that genres should be defined not by mechanics ("it's got a first-person camera and you shoot things, therefore it's a first-person-shooter") but by what the player gets out of the experience. (competiton, satisfaction of overcoming a challenge, a cinematic experience, etc)

Japanese eschew the first person camera for reasons given in the article Derek linked. Anyway, imho first person shooting works better when it's on-rails (Virtua Cop, House of the Dead) than it does when the player is expected to navigate a character he can't even see. Their efforts to find other ways of delivering action shooters, including 3D actions shooters, makes me appreciate the Japanese more, not less.

And Bunny Must Die was great. The Japanese own metroidvanias, arguably. They own shmups. They own fighting games. (for the latter, does anyone else even come close?)

Flowerthief\'s Games -- Experiments creating hybrid monsters
Türbo Bröther
Pixelhead
Level 10

duh-duh-duh-nah-nuh duh-duh-duh-nah-nah

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 04:42:04 PM »

It's also an RPG, adventure game, fighting game and a shmup, since you're playing the role of someone on an adventure, fighting people by shooting them up!

Let's argue game genres, I'll fight you to the death
Well, first person shooter isn't really a genre it's a summary of the POV that the action takes place from prefixed to the actual genre.
Schoq
Level 10

Imperial stronghold, midwinter

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 04:46:25 PM »

Japanese eschew the first person camera for reasons given in the article Derek linked. Anyway, imho first person shooting works better when it's on-rails (Virtua Cop, House of the Dead) than it does when the player is expected to navigate a character he can't even see. Their efforts to find other ways of delivering action shooters, including 3D actions shooters, makes me appreciate the Japanese more, not less.
In case you didn't realize it yourself you changed your position from "The best action games come from the East period." to "I don't like action games from the West period."

make games, not money
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2013, 07:58:34 AM »

I'd first like to share another publisher of doujin, Rice. This UK group also does quite a bit of news and reviews.

Second, sometimes I like Japanese Indie Games for their quirkiness.

Uwabami Breakers

It's a freeware Touhou shmp with a bar theme. You run up a tab instead of a score for shooting food and drinks that shot back. You have a beer gauge that increases the power of your chopstick shots up to 3 levels. And then there is the back-story, provide by Touhou Wiki:

A twilight bar-room.
A heaven on earth where even the lowest of drunkards sleeps peacefully.
This was the home of a group of master bartenders who boasted they could send even the heaviest of drinkers under the table.
These bartenders, called the "Uwabami Breakers" (or "Drunkard Breakers") devoted their every waking hour to devising new menus every day.
Many brave men had fallen to their menus.
Even though the wasted drunks were afflicted with the worst of hangovers every day, they couldn't resist the masters' stimulating new menus.
That was just as the masters had planned.
Nobody dreamed of defying the "Uwabami Breakers" in this bar.

Except for one certain drunk.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 08:17:49 AM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
VDZ
Level 3

My post is there read that instead ->

supervdz@dolfijn.nl
View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2013, 08:34:06 PM »

I'd first like to share another publisher of doujin, Rice. This UK group also does quite a bit of news and reviews.
They only sell Nyu Media's games (and host Warning Forever and Rayhound).

Speaking of Western doujin publishers, I don't think anybody's mentioned Fruitbat Factory yet. I haven't checked out their games yet, but I guess they're at least worth keeping an eye on if you're interested in this kind of stuff.

They own shmups. They own fighting games. (for the latter, does anyone else even come close?)
I'd say One Must Fall 2097 was on even ground with the other fighting games of its time. There was also Mortal Kombat, but it's always had some issues, mainly a horrible balance and ridiculous AI. For modern fighting games, I can't even think of any non-Japanese 1v1 fighting games after 2000 except for the new Mortal Kombats (not counting crappy flash games).
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2013, 07:18:05 AM »

from derek's article-link i especially liked this passage:

"You know the drill when starting a JRPG: read an F.A.Q. to discover what seemingly innocuous tasks you must perform throughout the game in order to get certain rewards and/or "The Good Ending" (Suikoden 2 anyone? Tales of Symphonia?). Japanese games want you to master their fictional worlds on their terms, rather than take control of it and creatively subvert it with your individualistic ego."

i think part of that is because (stereotype/generalization) the japanese culture sees people as random pawns in the hands of fate, whereas in the west we are told that we make the big decisions and our lives depend on our own decisions. consequently, in western rpgs, the ending is determined by choices in dialogue trees. in japanese rpgs, the ending is determined by some obscure stuff that is usually pretty random and non-obvious, like not killing any of your party members in disgaea, or whether or not you collect 108 characters in suikoden

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2013, 11:49:36 AM »

from derek's article-link i especially liked this passage:

"You know the drill when starting a JRPG: read an F.A.Q. to discover what seemingly innocuous tasks you must perform throughout the game in order to get certain rewards and/or "The Good Ending" (Suikoden 2 anyone? Tales of Symphonia?). Japanese games want you to master their fictional worlds on their terms, rather than take control of it and creatively subvert it with your individualistic ego."

i think part of that is because (stereotype/generalization) the japanese culture sees people as random pawns in the hands of fate, whereas in the west we are told that we make the big decisions and our lives depend on our own decisions. consequently, in western rpgs, the ending is determined by choices in dialogue trees. in japanese rpgs, the ending is determined by some obscure stuff that is usually pretty random and non-obvious, like not killing any of your party members in disgaea, or whether or not you collect 108 characters in suikoden

If I want the good ending, there is Youtube. I just want to play the game, and I'm getting old, lazy, and trying to be more efficient with my time.

Also, I always saw the "seemingly innocuous tasks" as an attempt to immerse the player in another culture (fictitious or not).

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
ஒழுக்கின்மை
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

RinkuHero
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2013, 01:11:12 PM »

most of the games i played (maybe 90%) i played before youtube existed (and before gamefaqs existed for that matter) -- so i still feel it's cheating to go and look up how to get a secret ending, let alone to watch it on youtube

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2013, 04:09:45 PM »

having a special ending for getting all characters doesnt seem that ridiculous to me
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »

having a special ending for getting all characters doesnt seem that ridiculous to me
Damn right. Play Suikoden and watch the last scene, where they refer Gremio. You will restart the damn game to get him back after knowing it can be done.

Yeah.
evelynjolie
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2013, 04:37:53 PM »

dum da diferenc betwen "western" and "japanese" gams r just japanes gams r stil coin op gams

/super dum generalization

my website/tumblr (devlog): http://evajolli.com/
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2013, 04:39:43 PM »

and usa games want to have an oscar
VDZ
Level 3

My post is there read that instead ->

supervdz@dolfijn.nl
View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2013, 04:45:07 PM »

most of the games i played (maybe 90%) i played before youtube existed (and before gamefaqs existed for that matter) -- so i still feel it's cheating to go and look up how to get a secret ending, let alone to watch it on youtube
GameFAQs was launched in 1995. Have you really gamed so little in the past 18 years that everything you played during that time only makes up 10% of all games you've played total?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic