Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 12:37:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesPlaystation 4
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Playstation 4  (Read 6703 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 01:33:54 AM »

Mr Blow says he wasn't paid for releasing on the PS4 first.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/77949/the-witness-ps4-timed-exclusivity-due-to-limited-resources-console

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 01:47:19 AM »

Not that I am bothered with what other people are doing but if horse power is the concern then you don't plan a release on ios or macs (if these informations are correct at all).

But there is nothing wrong with exclusivity-contracts if you want to push the hardware/system you like anyway.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 02:32:41 AM »

He also said they "like the positioning of the PS4 (it's about games) a lot more than what we perceive Microsoft's positioning is going to be."

So what is Microsoft's positioning going to be?

I think he's implying that the Microsoft system will be more of a media-hub crossed with a lot of social media type stuff. He says he thinks ps4 is more games-focused.

Whether or not that's true we shall see.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »

Plus game are multiplat, expect non exclusive to be on pc, it's even a good news for pc gamer because it will unlock new level of production value hold back by console.
actually that's bad news because it means you can't run new games on a mediocre older pc anymore. the cool thing about pc gaming right now is that you don't need a gaming "rig" and don't need to invest in hardware to keep up with new releases.

tho otoh, where i live the price gap between console and pc games is so huge that it's probably still cheaper even if you buy new hardware.
Ant
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2013, 04:24:38 AM »

It's always the way really, once a new console is released it takes a while for a mid-range PC to reach those specs, I doubt we'll see the next new console generation for a very long time. I don't really agree games need new levels of production value though, games like Skyrim already look splendid enough, the only benefit I'm looking for is larger open worlds to explore but that will mean even longer dev times.
Uykered
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2013, 04:27:54 AM »

I can't wait for the graphics to finally get better.
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2013, 04:28:16 AM »

I think he's implying that the Microsoft system will be more of a media-hub crossed with a lot of social media type stuff. He says he thinks ps4 is more games-focused.

Whether or not that's true we shall see.

Given what I know of Microsoft's plans for world domination, I would say this is probably not incorrect.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2013, 06:15:03 AM »

It's always the way really, once a new console is released it takes a while for a mid-range PC to reach those specs, I doubt we'll see the next new console generation for a very long time.
If the assumed specs are true you can expect the ps4 to be around when Paul Eres turns 50+.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2013, 06:20:47 AM »

if you're waiting for console graphics to become better than PC graphics you'll have to wait forever, that hasn't been the case since the 70s or something, consoles always just barely keep up with PC during the release year for each generation, and then fall behind again; if you play games for graphics then PC is best

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2013, 06:27:13 AM »

but they said the ps4 is like a pc except super charged do you really think they would make something like that up?

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »

if you're waiting for console graphics to become better than PC graphics you'll have to wait forever, that hasn't been the case since the 70s or something, consoles always just barely keep up with PC during the release year for each generation, and then fall behind again; if you play games for graphics then PC is best

It's the advancement of console graphics and performance that steer the industry right now so I think it's valid to be excited. You don't see many PC only titles that are pushing the envelope. At least it means no more ports with low res textures.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2013, 06:41:16 AM »

but they said the ps4 is like a pc except super charged do you really think they would make something like that up?
like a pc but way more X-TREME

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »

It's the advancement of console graphics and performance that steer the industry right now so I think it's valid to be excited. You don't see many PC only titles that are pushing the envelope. At least it means no more ports with low res textures.

there are still a few AAA PC-exclusives with graphics that could not be done on any console, though -- for instance, starcraft 2

J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2013, 06:51:35 AM »

Making up new words is for marketing. "HD" is nothing but a marketing purpose for example. But I think the justification mainly comes from the shared and very fast gddr5-ram. That way the hardware doesn't need to transfer the data from ram to the gpu-ram like on pc. It is already there without this step. Potentially this can even  outperform a beefy gaming-pc in practice for some years to come. Regarding flops the gpu is stronger than the gtx580, the best pc-card not long ago. Of course it is about how many of those flops can be used at a time but I don't expect sony to make inefficient decisions on this part. And given that it is a fixed hardware you can always utilize more of it than on a pc with similar specs.

I hope the cpu won't be the downside though. It is important to have at least one strong core because there is always computation you cannot split up into several threads. So its execution-unit will be the bottleneck, no matter how many cores you have. In short I think a strong quad-core is a lot safer bet than a significantly lower clocked 8-core.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2013, 07:00:20 AM »

there are still a few AAA PC-exclusives with graphics that could not be done on any console, though -- for instance, starcraft 2

Planetside 2 being another example. Still these games are rare and have little impact on the rest of the industry.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 03:33:06 PM »

Also those games came out at the end of the cycle. I dont agree about SC2 either.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2013, 03:40:57 PM »

Don't worry those perf will met their fate when they will inevitably start to generalize voxel, we will see a great mixed of hand made and procedural content, crowd system will finally mature, fluid water will make a return and it will be all about blending everything.

Uykered
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2013, 04:14:36 PM »

if you're waiting for console graphics to become better than PC graphics

I'm just happy consoles are finally getting better graphics/hardware, as there are still developers who haven't moved to the PC yet.
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2013, 04:21:33 PM »

Console graphics hold back PC graphics, so that doesn't even make sense. There's a reason you can still play most new games on maxed out settings with a three+ year old PC.

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2013, 04:38:41 PM »

Console graphics hold back PC graphics, so that doesn't even make sense. There's a reason you can still play most new games on maxed out settings with a three+ year old PC.

sure, if you only play console ports. if you play genres specific to the PC, such as RTS games, MMORPGS, turn-based strategy games, etc., you can't play new games on maxed out settings even with *new* PCs

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic