Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:28:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingTwisty's Asylum Escapades (Free 3D PC game)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Twisty's Asylum Escapades (Free 3D PC game)  (Read 2224 times)
TwistedJenius
Level 0

Entertainment with Brains, Brains with Bite!

View Profile WWW
« on: February 24, 2013, 07:00:20 AM »

Hi, I'm John Prophet. My associate and I just put out our first game called Twisty's Asylum Escapades. It's a dark, 3D, single player action adventure video game that is completely free to download and play.

You play as Twisty; the lovable, disembodied floating brain with a mouth full of razor sharp teeth, as he makes his way through this bizarre mental facility, fighting enemies and solving puzzles in order to secure his own "early release" from the asylum.

We're looking for 3 basic types of feedback. How well you're able to run the game, how well you understand it and are able to progress through it, and just how fun and entertaining it is. But any feedback is appreciated!

Minimum System Requirements:
•1.8GHz dual core processor
•GeForce 7800 or equivalent ATI card
•2GB RAM
•350MB Free Hard Drive Space
•Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Recommended System Requirements:
•Intel Core2 Duo 2.4GHz or equivalent AMD processor
•GeForce 8800 GT or equivalent ATI card
•3GB RAM
•500MB Free Hard Drive Space
•Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP

Here's our IndieDB page and here's the game's official site, you can download the game from either. I hope you will try it out!

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 06:56:39 PM by TwistedJenius » Logged

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
Vote for it on Steam Greenlight!
WonderlandGames
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 03:40:36 AM »

Doesn't look like my type of thing but I applaud you on your creativity and really pushing the limits. Playing as a brain in bloody locales is crazy. Shocked
TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 06:23:30 AM »

Actually those locales weren't bloody before the player got there. Grin

Here's the DevLog of the game I'm currently working on- Reptile Zoo: The Sinister Mutation
TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 03:13:23 AM »

The game is also available on Indievania-

http://www.indievania.com/games/twistys-asylum-escapades

It's free to download and play! 

Max_Marozaw
Level 0

Navina Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 12:56:57 AM »

After updating complete.
Error message is displayed: Unable to launch the application.  Sad
Win 7 x64.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »

First impressions after a 30-40 minute session:

- The whole thing gives off a great late 90s shareware/advergame vibe, with the slightly off lo-fi aesthetics and constant pushing of the posters. Grin

- Not digging the level design: long hallways, labyrinthine architecture, everything an order of magnitude larger than it perhaps needs to be. Entire game of fetch quests/navigation challenges so far. Areas have distinct color sets, but it's a chore to find your way around when most of the time you don't even know where you *want* to be going. I do appreciate the signs, but it's occasionally inconsistent where they're placed.

- I played until I reached the mosquito, but couldn't find the brain he told me to eat. (The notepad says it's on the second floor, but I think I searched everywhere? There's a specimen room on the first floor that I haven't been able to reach yet.)

- Combat. Janitors and basic ghosts are easy enough to fight, but I can't fight the machete doctors and larger orderlies without taking tons of hits unless I can pit them against passing ghosts. I love the disguise. Haven't figured out how to get hypnosis to do anything. Respawning enemies gets irritating fast, and the whole game is long enough that limited lives is an odd, antagonistic choice.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 02:23:28 AM »

The graphics have a nice solid look and charm. I could have seen this game sold alongside 90s classics like System Shock 2. You know, games that aren't tech monsters these days but actually hold up decently.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 10:07:52 AM »

Noyb

Thank you very much for the feedback! 

It's sometimes hard to tell where the problem areas of the game are and what needs to be improved when you're too close to it, and this is why it's great to hear things from a player's perspective like this. 

I'm happy that you like the vibe of it.

The brain that you are looking for is on the first floor, in that specimen room.  We probably need to change the text on that notepad to make it clearer. 

Having limited lives could also be a mistake on our part, having made the game and being so close it, it's hard for us to gauge how difficult it is. As always it's about balancing, we don't want to make it super easy but we don't want to make it unreasonably difficult either.

Here's a tip: the hypnosis "attack" can be used on the roaming inmates, the bald guys wearing the hospital gowns that you can't bite. You can get them to follow you around and fight the other enemies for you with it.

TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 10:10:50 AM »

Alextended

Thank you very much for the kind words and just trying the game out! I'm glad that you're enjoying your experiences with it! 

aeveis
Level 0

some guy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 10:55:12 AM »

After Updating Complete I got an error:
The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.

In the update log after it finished there is this:
updater/main.cs (58): Unknown command disconnect.
  Object UpdateVarHolder(1301) UpdateVarHolder -> ArrayObject -> SimObject
Cur. D3DDevice ref count=1

It looks like I'm missing some requirements or files?
I have a Windows 7 Professional computer with a Nvidia Geforce GT 420M card.
TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 11:25:56 AM »

Thanks for letting me know about this and giving me those details.  Let me talk to my programmer (I'm the artist on the project) and see if we can figure out what's going on.

If anyone else is having any problems running the game, I would definitely appreciated it if you could let me know. Thanks!  
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 11:32:06 AM by TwistedJenius » Logged

TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 10:42:49 PM »

Okay, I think we've fixed the problems that some people may have been having with the game.  Try it out and download the latest version!

coAdjoint_Tom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »

Haha this reminded me a lot of the freeware you used to get with PC Gamer discs in the early 2000s, happy memories

Working on skill modelling and adaptive AI systems in video games http://www.youtube.com/coAdjointTom

Game Ai blog:

http://coadjoint.wordpress.com/
TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »

Ah, nostalgia! I'm happy that you had fun with the game! Smiley

TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 06:50:49 PM »

Twisty's Asylum Escapades has received a major update!  This includes improved graphics, as well as many other enhancements and new content.  

Side-by-side of the old and new graphics respectively.

Features:
- Seven different attacks and items to obtain and use.
- Nine different types of enemies to fight.
- Two types of friendly minions to bend to your will.
- A massive three story building to explore with multiple hallway systems, large rooms and secret passages.
- Persistent blood, creepy music and various supernatural happenings.

Download and play it for free at:
 http://asylumescapades.com/

The game also has a new trailer-

« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:10:26 PM by TwistedJenius » Logged

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »

Wasn't this mentioned before? Or did I only see it on modddb?

Anyway, I did finally try this a while ago. I kind of liked the premise but at the same time the various corridors and areas seem to be too long, like you could cut them down to half length or less without losing gameplay. Going back and forth each side of the walls to pick up the posters wasn't very fun because of that. Perhaps there could be less of them to make them less of a chore? Still, it's a pretty cool, charming effort.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
TwistedJenius
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2013, 11:24:09 AM »

A new version of Twisty’s Asylum Escapades has been released!  We continue to improve it in this update which includes additional content and cut scenes, plus bug fixes and more!

And as always, you can download the game for free at-
http://asylumescapades.com/

It's a fun, unique game; if you have yet to play it then come check it out! Also, any feedback about Twisty’s Asylum Escapades is welcome.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic