Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:25:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDaedalus Cube (playtesting)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Daedalus Cube (playtesting)  (Read 6662 times)
devi ever
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2013, 11:54:04 PM »

First thing that really struck me as nice was the sound design.  There's something extremely pleasing about the little start up sound and all the other incidental noises.

The game-feel using the keyboard was BEAUTIFUL... and I realized this was meant for tilt-based mobile platforms... but as a pc game... it just feels great. Smiley

It seems you have a great foundation for a game, but I think if the gameplay was left as-is, it might grow very tedious and boring after a few dozen levels or more.  Something as simple as different backgrounds, ball / cube textures, and music could really break up the stylistic monotony.

Also, from a gameplay perspective... because of the kind of gamer I am, I would imagine this to be a lot more engaging if there were puzzles within the maze to solve... like triggers that need to be pressed to open gates... maybe even occasionally with a timer.  Also hazards like electricity, or water... things that would really push forward the importance of good balance while playing.  Or heck... even a monster that chases after the ball on some levels that keeps you having to move and thinking quickly.

Another idea... just spit balling here (har har)... but what if instead of a Ball... it was a mouse?  I think that's the kind of stylistics / out-of-the-box thinking that might make this game more memorable.  I mean, the whole ball-rolling-around-thing has been done endlessly, and while this variation is nice, it might be nice to see it taken even further, or in a different direction as far as the whole ball vs. maze.

Just some ideas.  Definitely a great start!
WildFactor
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 05:45:54 AM »

I agree to devi ever totally.

The sound is fantastic.
the control are great (except clicking to pause Huh?).

You need to had more variety in the gameplay and from the first level (classical pushing button to reverse travolator etc..).
Even if it's new, it doesn't feel like it!

I'm against time pressure. If you didn't personalize it (monster, water), it just feel to increase difficulty not fun.

You add a score system, but I didn't "understand" it. I mean I didn't know what to do to improve it and what should I do (faster ?, shorter path ?).

The 3 stars system is boring but you always underdand what you need to do to get 3 stars.

TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 05:18:53 PM »

Thank you for the feedback, Devi and WildFactor!

I do have half a mind to release a somewhat different game building off the rotating cube mechanic, albeit taking advantage of the PC gaming environment to create something a little bigger and more complex and interesting.

Right now, my only plans are to release a mobile phone game via Google Play.

To go the PC route.. that's going to take quite a bit of extra effort just setting that up as a release channel (i.e. own web site store, steam/greenlight, payments, etc). Between that and making the game bigger would be a whole project unto itself. So my thinking is to fork that off into its own thing. I do have some ideas for this..

otoh, there's still this little roll-a-ball game, which, yeah, it does need something done about the higher level meta-flow of the game still. i'm not quite happy with that part just yet. also this is an old build. i've been adding bits of graphical polish here and there since march. lately i've been working on another project, which i will get to in a different thread. i do need to and would like to get back to this one very soon, though.

gotta run for now. might post later!

thanks again  Beer!

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic