Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411420 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 11:40:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsStonehearth
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Stonehearth  (Read 17607 times)
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:09:02 PM »

Devblog | Facebook | Twitter |

Hi TIGSource.  Long time lurker, first time poster!  Stonehearth is our sim/RPG/strategy hybrid set in a voxel, fantasy world.  We are inspired by Dwarf Fortress and the tactics games of the SNES and PS1 generations, as well as table top RPGs.

Our goal is to combine simulation and city management elements with a great, tactical combat  and RPG-like progression for your town's citizens and heroes.   Here is a longer description of our ambitions for the game, if you're interested.

Primary Features
  • Randomly generated, destructible worlds built with voxels
  • Scripted RPG-style adventures to discover
  • RTS-style combat with an emphasis on tactics over micro and speed
  • Robust class trees for both combat and civilian units
  • Mod friendly

Long Live Mods!
We love mods, especially for sandbox games.  So we’re building everything: UI, unit AI, scripted scenarios (everything!) as a set of "1st party mods" to our core engine.  As a modder you will be able to anything we've done, including introducing new content (items, monsters, scripted events, etc), reskinning or adding to the UI, adding new character classes, you name it.

Screenshots
These screenshots are from our Nov 2012 prototype (here's a

.  Sorry, no download).

Current Status
In 2012 we fleshed out the game concept and build a C++ prototype that demonstrates the building mechanics.  Now that we've defined the core game, we are integrating LUA scripting and implementing the core game features like crafting, AI, and combat.

I would say our ETA for something playable is "when it's done," but that's always such an annoying answer, so I'll instead say ambitiously "sometime in 2013."

poe
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2013, 04:19:20 PM »

Absolutely looking forward to this!
Goran
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2013, 04:26:01 PM »

Stonehearth is our sim/RPG/strategy hybrid set in a voxel, fantasy world.

Enough said... following!

Those are some beautiful renderings of voxels. Looking forward to how this turns out.

christonian
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2013, 05:09:45 PM »

looks great cant wait to play

Indie Focused YouTube Channel feel free to PM me if you want a showcase of your game or someone you know that needs coverage
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2013, 05:43:48 PM »

dat art style

Don't change anything...It's so perfect.

inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2013, 06:18:02 PM »

dat art style

Don't change anything...It's so perfect.

Wow thanks!  There's lots more art on our devblog.
devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2013, 06:48:42 PM »

You're doing a great job! I'm going to keep an eye here!
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:56 AM »

Here's a dev update.  As always, you can find out what we're up to by visiting our devlog.

Our short-term goal is to implement a "first pass" of the three pillars of the game: resource gathering, building/crafting, and tactical combat.  We're doing this so we can start tuning the overall pace and feel of the gameplay as early as possible.  Resource gathering and building are complete, and we've moved on to combat!

So while Ponder (the coder) focuses on monster AI and threat tables, I've been working on both our UI infrastructure and modelling the basic enemies and combat units.

Combat Models
The first monsters we're adding are goblins.  Goblins will always attack in packs, and will coordinate their actions.  Here are a few different goblin variants along with some weapons and a battle standard.  

And here is a set of models showing the gear progression for a melee combat unit.  So you will be able to gear up your townsfolk and army through crafting and looting monsters.  The progression shown is no armor -> leather -> iron -> steel

UI Progress!

First, yes, the world is tiny and ugly as crap!  We haven't ported proper world generation to the production code.  Don't worry, the real world will look even better than our prototype.

This kind of simulation game has a lot of management sections, so there are two big goals of the UI.

• Different parts of the UI should be easily discoverable
  • Stay out of the player's way!

UI Tech

Our UI is 100% HTML and JS, using the Chromium Embedded Framework.  Basically the UI runs in an offscreen chrome window and communicates with the game via a tiny embedded http server.  Every frame the game renders the chrome window to a texture and overlays it on top of the game.

As you can see from the 2nd half of the video, this gives us all kinds of goodies for free, like an excellent debugger.  We also get to take advantage of the many great UI tools that exist in the browser: jquery, css, html5 canvas, etc.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2013, 12:47:35 PM »

Looks really nice. I'm very interested to see how this develops.

Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2013, 03:26:24 PM »

Looks incredible!

Kurt
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2013, 04:31:05 PM »

Mmmm

jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:43:09 AM »

I really like your voxel work.
Those Goblins are super cool and funny looking, lovely style.
Also, judging from the video, you have very good animations, considering you are using voxels.

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 04:27:23 AM »

This whole thing looks fantastic!
Love those goblins!
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 06:32:37 AM »

Saw this on one of the Reddit ScreenShot Saturdays a while back. Very impressive. Colour tones are great, shading is amazing, really makes everything look soft. I feel that's something other voxel art games lacked.

Looking good gents.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 06:43:59 AM »

Incredible!

Please, add mages! Please!

Like, dark wizards or so. Oh, it would be so nice  Wizard

devMidgard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 06:58:10 AM »

Wow! I'm loving the art style!

Keeping an eye here!
Vovosunt
Level 0

Lolcat

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »

This looks amazing! Smiley

Thought I bet the first mod will be a one where it's turned into Minecraft XD

Gremlin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 07:57:39 AM »

What does the art pipeline look like? Is that a custom-built voxel modeling program?
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »

Thought I bet the first mod will be a one where it's turned into Minecraft XD

Noooooooooo...
inkblot
Level 0

I <3 voxels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 08:53:24 AM »

What does the art pipeline look like? Is that a custom-built voxel modeling program?

I use Qubicle Constructor to model (http://qubicle-constructor.com) and 3DS Max to animate.  We have a custom pipeline that imports .qb files directly into the game.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic