Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:16:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid Work[WANTED] [PROFIT-SHARE] Pixel Art Animator
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [WANTED] [PROFIT-SHARE] Pixel Art Animator  (Read 4619 times)
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« on: February 25, 2013, 08:40:14 PM »

Hello everyone!  I'm looking for a pixel art animator for my current project, Traversia.  You can find the game here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=30360.0

For now, I've been doing all of the graphics myself, and while I'm relatively good at tilesets and other graphic design IMO, I'm not good at pixel art animation.  This is where you come in.

I'm mainly looking for someone who can do animations for the player, as well as other creatures (Butterflies, frogs, birds, etc.), and possibly tilesets (Waving grass, trees shaking in the wind, etc.).  I don't want extremely fluid animations, but I don't want "lifeless" animations either.  Somewhere in between (Like FEZ's animation) would be perfect.

If you'd like to apply, create a walk cycle for the main character (Sprite can be found here: http://i.imgur.com/8YL3pjd.png).  It can either be submitted as a .gif, or a horizontal, frame-by-frame strip.

For now, the work will be unpaid, but since I plan on selling the game when it is completed, you will get a share of the profit.  I'd prefer working with someone who isn't just in it for money, and truly wants to work on a project.  I can't guarantee that the game will be a success, so I'd rather you be in it for the experience and whatnot.

You can contact me through any of these methods:

Twitter: @Forstride
E-mail: [email protected]
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:27:24 AM by Forstride » Logged

siskavard
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 08:00:05 AM »

I really like the game you've shown so far, so as an animator I wanted to try my hand at animating your character.

I'm a traditional & Flash based animator, I don't have any experience animating pixels, but its something I'm very interested in & have been tinkering with lately. So if you're willing to work with someone like that, then great!

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »

-snip-
It looks okay, but I was hoping for something a bit more fluid.  I forgot to mention it in the opening post (Thought I did, but apparently not Tongue).

siskavard
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:48 AM »

Well you do say something like FEZ's animation, which is really nice & fluid. I guess that's where my traditional animation knowledge is clashing with the pixel art, as it's tough for me to get fluidity at 16x16 pixels. I'll take another crack at it, but I have a feeling that you're gonna find someone here who is really gonna nail it!
Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »

Well you do say something like FEZ's animation, which is really nice & fluid. I guess that's where my traditional animation knowledge is clashing with the pixel art, as it's tough for me to get fluidity at 16x16 pixels. I'll take another crack at it, but I have a feeling that you're gonna find someone here who is really gonna nail it!
Yeah, I edited the post to say that.  Tongue

Anyway, you can try making the player 16x32 (Or 16x24) if that'll help.  He doesn't need to be 16x16, but I don't want him to be very tall either.

ompuco
Level 3

oh my god whats happening

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:43 AM »

I'll be working on a walk cycle tonight, but I've put together this turntable animation since it really helps me put together nice animations.

I'm still relatively new to pixel art and animation in general, but I really like how your project is coming along, and I'd really like to help. I also have never been part of a project before, and would really like to have some experience working with someone.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 09:57:35 AM »

-snip-
Heh.  I saw it on Twitter, and it looks cool.  Looking forward to the walk cycle.

siskavard
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 11:03:59 AM »

That rotation is awesome.

I gave it another go at 16x16 (I like a challenge). It's totally cool if this isn't what you're after, I'm just having fun.  Grin

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 11:19:32 AM »

-snip-
That looks a lot better!  Works nice in-game as well.

I'll wait to see Sajextryus's walk cycle before deciding on who to bring on board.  If you want to, though, you could also do an animation of this bird flapping its wings:

The more examples, the better!

siskavard
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 08:42:21 PM »

here's a pass

Probably easier to see like this
ompuco
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 08:51:09 PM »

I'm still not sure if I'm so comfortable with those legs, but I've made several different versions and this one looked best to me. I might revise them if I can figure out a good way to do so in the future, but I hope this fits in somewhat well. I hope it's not too fluid or something, like you've noted to avoid in the original post.

Now that I think of it, I don't think it's too awkward as I kept thinking. Hope to hear your opinion.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:03:00 PM by Sajextryus » Logged

Guildenstern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 09:19:29 PM »

I like that the neck is not stretching as that looks odd to me but he looks like he's skipping merrily to a birthday party rather than lost on a strange planet exploring.
ompuco
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 09:34:01 PM »

I like that the neck is not stretching as that looks odd to me but he looks like he's skipping merrily to a birthday party rather than lost on a strange planet exploring.
Hah! You're definitely right on that! I was going for something that matched both the happy, colorful visuals from the game and the fact that he's an alien child, but I definitely have enough content to easily construct a more careful/concerned looking run cycle if Forstride would rather have that. I'll get on that in a little bit, probably, so I can see how that looks.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 11:49:13 PM »

Yeah, it's more like an awkward skip than a normal walk.  The fluidity of it is good, but he just has a really weird stance.

ompuco
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:45 AM »

I tried going for more of a normal walk. I still think I can work on the legs a bit more to look a bit more calm or something, but I'd rather post this before I end up revising it so much that I lose grasp of what I was doing in the first place. I uploaded it at two different framerates since it was a bit hard to tell entirely what was happening at 10FPS.

There's still a few more approaches I want to try with the legs that I haven't been able to yet, but it's getting awfully late tonight, so I'll have to try that tomorrow.

Forstride
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2013, 10:31:35 AM »

Looks a lot better.  Now, the actual sprite is 17 pixels high.  This isn't a huge problem, but the player's head would appear inside ceilings if he was in a 16 pixel-high tunnel, for instance.

Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2013, 11:24:56 AM »

Can I join too?

(Not serious btw Wink )

(← new art twitter)
ompuco
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2013, 11:29:48 AM »

Looks a lot better.  Now, the actual sprite is 17 pixels high.  This isn't a huge problem, but the player's head would appear inside ceilings if he was in a 16 pixel-high tunnel, for instance.
Well, I can easily animate different walk cycles for different situations. It'd also add to the games feel a bit, I could imagine, with more dynamic animations!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic