Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 03:05:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioElectro Trap, Dubstep, Moombahton, etc
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Electro Trap, Dubstep, Moombahton, etc  (Read 2867 times)
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:03:33 AM »

Hi all,  Waaagh! Tears of Joy Beer! Mock Anger

I've been out of the electronic music scene for some time and now I get back I see it is evolving quickly. I see that there are a couple of trends that are now ruling the world like trap, dubstep, moombahton, and other styles. I don't think they are very suitable for a game but I've started a Soundcloud profile with my creations on this topic. If anyone needs something like that for his/her game, you can contact me.

Here I leave my latest example:
https://soundcloud.com/zzzaaappp/truly-bombastic

And by the way, what do you think on these styles? Frankly, I see like this scattered panorama looks pretty much like the '-ism' trend on the twentieth century in art. Minimalism, cubism, informalism, etcetera. Dunno where we will go afterwards but I think soon these styles will become obsolete.

medieval
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:57:31 AM »

I really like dubstep, and I think it's a genre in its own right. It has some more evolving to do though. I think most of it is terrible, but there are some artists who are absolutely genius; especially

and

, among others. The problem with many dubstep 'artists' though is that they rely heavily on samples/existing tracks, synth presets that basically create the melody for you, and other 'cheat' methods that are found primarily in FL Studio. Same goes for other electronic genres.

I don't know what trap or moombahton is
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »

Trap is what happens when you start with hip-hop and then remove anything of substance.
That being said I think it can be played pretty well for humor https://soundcloud.com/flux-pavilion/onetwothree

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:34:28 PM »

Harlem Shake is a good example for Trap, and most of what Baauer does.

Moombahton or Moombahcore is a more latin approach to electronic music. I'm from Spain, and I don't like Reggaeton but I like Moombahton a lot. An example of Moombahton can be found here:

https://soundcloud.com/moombahton/oh-hai-by-the-killabits

Whatdya think?

medieval
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

Trap is what happens when you start with hip-hop and then remove anything of substance.
That being said I think it can be played pretty well for humor https://soundcloud.com/flux-pavilion/onetwothree

Ergh. I don't like it. The only difference I see between this and dubstep is the beat. It sounds like we're recycling used up resources.

It sounds interesting, but in my opinion it doesn't have a distinct enough style or sound to warrant its own genre, since it might as well be house or some derivation of it.

I don't know why I like dubstep that much more. perhaps because I was younger when I heard of it, maybe it's just had more time to develop. Then again, I still think most of it is shit.
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »

Ergh. I don't like it. The only difference I see between this and dubstep is the beat. It sounds like we're recycling used up resources.

Yup, that's the joke.

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:29:21 PM »

I think that Dubstep is really taking over the world because nowadays most of the styles have been influenced by those beats. I just discovered a new style: Glitch hop. But when listening to a couple of songs self called glitch hop, I find another small twist on dubstep and the current sounds Skrillex is using.

Examples of glitch hop (to me, pretty similar to dubstep):
https://soundcloud.com/glitchhop

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »

To me they are all dubstep, electronic music culture subdivides itself by minute details more than it should.

Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »

I think there is naturally a lot of crossover in the electronic/bass music scene largely down to how that music is intended to be experienced.  Structurally speaking they are all designed to fit into DJ sets and as such will have easily identifiable sections that can be dropped.  In order to counteract the formulaic nature, I suppose its inevitable that the variations will occur to keep things fresh.  Each one of these variations being dubbed a separate genre does seem a bit pedantic, but I guess it makes sense to make some sort of distinction.

With that said, I've been listening to a lot of  Wick-It the Instigator http://soundcloud.com/wick-it who is doing a really good job of producing tracks across the whole repertoire of these new styles.  Moombahton/Trap/Dubstep/Hip Hop stuff.  He's done a piss-take Trap Mix of Bryan Adams which I laughed my head off at.  His Tarantino-inspired album is a must hear.

As for its relevance to games?  I'm not sure, racing games are a likely candidate.  I don't know if trailer dubstep is still a thing.

medieval
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 10:28:49 AM »

I think there is naturally a lot of crossover in the electronic/bass music scene largely down to how that music is intended to be experienced.  Structurally speaking they are all designed to fit into DJ sets and as such will have easily identifiable sections that can be dropped.  In order to counteract the formulaic nature, I suppose its inevitable that the variations will occur to keep things fresh.  Each one of these variations being dubbed a separate genre does seem a bit pedantic, but I guess it makes sense to make some sort of distinction.
I think the -step suffix should suffice (pun not intended), with subgenres like deathstep and drumstep it just seems logical to me. This should apply to trap for sure. Moombahton leans much more towards different electronic styles than dubstep, but it does sound like it could be a subgenre of something else (besides reggaeton).

With that said, I've been listening to a lot of  Wick-It the Instigator http://soundcloud.com/wick-it who is doing a really good job of producing tracks across the whole repertoire of these new styles.  Moombahton/Trap/Dubstep/Hip Hop stuff.  He's done a piss-take Trap Mix of Bryan Adams which I laughed my head off at.  His Tarantino-inspired album is a must hear.
I don't know, he definitely sounds good but I just feel like trap's only hip hop influence is the part of hip hop that had already lost any sense of substance when it came into existence. I love hip hop, but I believe there are

to do these crossovers

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 12:09:31 PM »

Sounds like these fit best into DJ sets or upbeat games. Are these like the really great examples of the genres?

My intuition says they are very limited in the sorts of games they can work well with (that is not a bad thing, most game music is that way) - as someone mentioned, racing games, or a radio station in GTA...a nightclub infiltration game? o_o

play hydlide 2
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 01:00:41 PM »

Making some trap style beats right now. The vocal chop isn't that good but the drums are done.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/46477897/muzik/beat33_5.mp3  Hand Money Left Hand Money Left Hand Money Left
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 01:06:52 PM by Mono » Logged

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 07:40:28 AM »

this is brilliant! I imagine beastie boys would've sounded like this if they were 20 years younger.

I think dubstep in general has a tendency to get boring really fast. The build-up is always the same and while I like that wobble sound, it doesn't have too much creative potential. However, that doesn't mean that I thoroughly dislike it. Also, I think there's still much potential for development. I've not heard that much about moombahton, but Trap feels more like a gimmick to me than like an actual genre of its own. However, stuff like

is just ridiculously funny.
I'm really a fan of all these more experimental hiphop/electro crossovers happenning right now; stuff like Flying Lotus, Tokimonsta or Montgomery Clunk.

You pretty much nailed the style, Mono, better hurry and put it up on iTunes now before posttrap becomes the latest fad and nobody listens to drums anymore.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 09:10:58 AM »

reading what people are mentioning as examples of "dubstep" itt makes me sad. Sad

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:31 AM »

reading what people are mentioning as examples of "dubstep" itt makes me sad. Sad

well, it might be a problem of proper terminology, but the so called "brostep" is probably more where popmusic is at at the moment. the original dubstep stuff mostly remains a niche in popmusic.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:23:55 AM »

Remember street of rage (especially n2) it was totally out of trend and out of genre for the game: so it's possible. It was actually music stolen from discotheque.

https://soundcloud.com/moombahton/rogerthat-by-atrasolis

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 09:29:09 AM »

well, it might be a problem of proper terminology, but the so called "brostep" is probably more where popmusic is at at the moment. the original dubstep stuff mostly remains a niche in popmusic.
yeah i know

i never thought i would feel old for liking shit that was made like 6 years ago and not really "getting" the newest trend :/
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 09:59:21 AM »

Just to point out that there's a small tendence to use chiptunes over dubstep, properly speaking, some dubstep uses chiptune sounds.  Gomez

The other day I heard a word that describes dubstep perfectly: laser. Laser here laser there, looks like we are on Star Wars!  Hand Shake Left

Lauchsuppe
Level 3

hruabp

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:18 AM »

you might like moe moe kyunstep then. it's laser chiptunes, although it remains moe.

@sinclair: yeah, the "original" dubstep has a lot more to offer because it's just not so focused on drops and wobble sounds.
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »

The next trend undoubtly will be in one of these terms: afrodubstep, moombahtrap, trap'a'ton, glitchstep, moombahstep, bongotrap, tribalstep, afrotrap, tribalton, bongoton, and the best one: tripiton, or cryptoton.

I'm already familiar with all those styles. Come to my soundcloud and add me!
http://soundcloud.com/zzzaaappp

LOL

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic