Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:08:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingWhat do successful characters have in common?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: What do successful characters have in common?  (Read 4058 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 08:34:01 AM »

You think character as personality, I say they are symbol too. Symbol don't need personality, they need concept.

There was half a dozen character in the vein of mario and sonic, what did these two stand out more? Maybe quality and exposure help too, but that's not all. I'm sure we can find character that wasn't more than fad and didn't stay (ninja turtle). Note: i'm a huge ninja turtle fan.

Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35:17 AM »

@evan what do you think would be a good way to change this tradition? Maybe having a more organic conversation with others would break the mold but this is easier said than done.

Someone started to touch on this in the player/character thread.  A small number of deep, dynamic relationships in a game have the potential to be much more interesting than a massive number of potential shallow ones.  It's neat that you can marry (nearly) anyone in Fable, but imagine a game where you have a single close friend or significant other throughout the game who you frequently interact with.  That character would inevitably be a lot deeper and more developed.  Now make it so most interactions with that character are more sentimental than strategic or story-relevant -- this way players aren't obsessively wiki-ing what to say or fixating on what they thing will get them the "good ending" -- and voila!  Players will be inclined to make choices that express their emotions toward that character.  I've been planning something similar to this in a project of my own.

To expand on that "sentimental" remark -- I think the player's optimization instinct can really mess up role-playing in games.  As an example, there are items in Fable you can only get to if you marry this awful, black-hearted woman any decent person wouldn't touch with a ten-foot pole.  (It's in her bedroom)  One could argue that obsessive collection is part of role-playing but I tend to disagree.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
VortexCortex
Level 2

Engram Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 08:53:32 AM »

You think character as personality, I say they are symbol too. Symbol don't need personality, they need concept.

I think of characters as being CHARACTERS.  Look up that word.  Symbolic Face-Men?  Sure, there's lots of success here.  Although I put it to you it's pointless to duplicate the success of a marketing machine behind a forced face-man.  That's not going to advance the medium or show insight except into the marketing world, which is fine, if you've got millions, you can make a Symbol popular.  However, I still won't give a damn about the crap symbolic character.

Have you got any examples of symbols without personality that are successful outside of being forced down folks throats by millions of dollars of marketing?  I'd just love to hear about it.  Eg: Kirby has lots of personality, and is symbolic.  What's Mario symbolic of, eh?  Please do enlighten me.

You're basically paraphrasing me now:
Quote from: Me
What do successful characters have in common?
Success.
TL;DR: Many shitty characters are quite successful.  Meh.

Edit: If I sound a bit hostile, it's because I don't take kindly to being told how I think.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 09:18:29 AM by VortexCortex » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 09:11:22 AM »

It's not exclusive, it's my point, it need to represent something before it has any depth, otherwise it's confusing. If you read my posts before, that concept need to create relatedness and have some singularity (generally contrast). Proof is that meme are pretty successful and live and die on concept alone, there is no money involve.

malicethedevil
Level 0

Damned Irish Devil

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »

creating depth of relationship in a character is difficult unless its part of the progression of the story line. Like Star Wars Force Unleashed when Vader's Apprentice runs off to quell the rebellion he listens to another Jedi and gains a relationship with that character through the game the relationship deepened which would be difficult to pull off in a game form like Fable or Elder Scrolls. Depth of character comes from the story, and back story of a character as well as emotional levels and responses, but in a game like Fable the emotional responses were the Player's control.

Graphic and Video Production
Fringe Games, War Command
Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2013, 05:33:23 PM »

I don't know... I am starting to think the one way to make a character "successful" is to just make the game play amazing. Yes, Mario is a great contrast to his element but would it still have been just as good if he was a knight in shining armor?

I still think that Mario's personal characteristics themselves are vital to his rise in pop culture. If he were a pixel, or some grotesque-looking rat thing, or a jumping toilet, he would not be a popular icon. Super Mario Brother's appeal doesn't just come from the platforming - a lot of it comes from the game world and the characters who inhabit it. Mario may be not be well developed, but he isn't just an avatar - he's still a proper character who is relatable both through his appearance(cute-ish human) and motivations (save the princess).

EDIT: Crap, totally forgot to read the second page. Whoops.

EDIT 2: Done. Just want to add - this doesn't mean that Mario's a great character, or that the game's success and marketing weren't also huge factors - but just having a simple, likable character in itself is crucial, even if s/he's totally shallow.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 05:39:53 PM by Alchiggins » Logged

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic