Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:05:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMelodisle
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Melodisle  (Read 18906 times)
Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »

Falling off of the "note blocks" over the water near the beginning sets you down in a place where you just continue to fall. You can get out of the loop by going right or left depending on what side of the block you're on, but you might still want to look into fixing that, especially if there's ever going to be a penalty for dying. gawd schil read the rest of the thread before you make bug report, what a noob

EDIT:

On the same subject, holding down the jump button should make you jump again when you land.

EDIT:

And one more thing, since 3's the magic number: It's really creepy when the protagonist's mouth appears on his forehead when you try to sing while falling.

Pretty cool and original, even though I couldn't get through some of the puzzles.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:48:31 AM by Schilcote » Logged
jiitype
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2013, 11:47:11 AM »

Relaxing and very pretty game. I really liked the music, even just pressing all the notes randomly sounded pleasant.

Those birds... I think I'm too stupid or something Shrug
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »

@nobody: That's essentially spot on and excellent feedback to boot! It was actually one of the first puzzles I incorporated, long before I started to actually tie colours to each note (so it's not a compatible puzzle with the game in its current state). I only came across these issues after-the-fact when I realised a lot of people were having difficulty, having already tried a bunch of very plausible solutions (some I actually like WAY more than the original puzzle.)

But the upside to it is that it encourages people to abandon the quest to explore and have fun with all the musical objects, which is something I think is totally cool, to the point where I almost want to leave it the way it is. If this game was larger scale there would be a bunch of things I'd do differently, of course.

mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2013, 03:59:55 PM »

I was going to do some other stuff, then I downloaded this game, and played it through. I still don't fully understand the bird puzzle - I just input the brute-force solution - but I honestly don't think the complexity of the puzzle and/or the obscurity of the answer would be a problem if the game were ... well, for example, the size of Fez.

Since in a game that size there are SO many puzzles, the average player will not feel compelled to complete each one, and the harder ones will challenge the more 'hardcore' puzzlers to extreme levels; in each case, the player can feel totally satisfied with a run-through. In this short game, though, I feel the difficulty spike is a little rough Wink

Great job, though. There should be more music- and [other media]-based puzzle games. You see rhythm games and stuff, but you don't see a heck of a lot of puzzles that can call on specific skills like pitch matching to solve puzzles. As a musician and a puzzle fiend, I greatly appreciate it :D

Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:15 PM »

@mysteriosum: I wanted to try and cover the spectrum of difficulty in Fez with Melodisle. Arguably, yes, the spike is rough for that particular puzzle.

I could pretty much direct all my excuses to "I didn't have enough time".  If this was a full-fledged game (which seems to be likely in the far-future :D) there perhaps wouldn't be as many issues. This is just a #1GAM game.

I guess the plan now is to release a patch which fixes a few bugs, then focus on the next game as well as other current projects. Melodisle was a heck of a lot of fun Smiley
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 07:22:28 PM by Andrio » Logged

Ant
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2013, 04:05:08 AM »

i look forward to the rest of your 1 gam a month projects, but i do hope you come back to this thing, there's a nice spark to the gameplay that would be a shame not to expand upon   Hand Thumbs Up Right
El kapinou
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2013, 05:09:24 AM »

This is a great little game, sir. I'll be sure to check what your next creations will be Wink

About the Triforce puzzle
I solved it easily only because I know well Ocarina of Time and Zelda's Lullaby. Did I miss any more obvious hints in the game about which notes to play for people not familiar with it at all?

Thanks to Raycast for posting the solution to the bird puzzle. I've had a hard time figuring out this one and yet I was so close...
One of the things I tried was playing the birds' notes from top to bottom and from bottom to top... Why didn't I think of trying the same thing horizontally? Facepalm Seems pretty logical now that I know it.

Anyway, congrats for making such a nice game, I'll be sure to recommend it Smiley
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2013, 05:35:39 AM »

About the Triforce puzzle
I solved it easily only because I know well Ocarina of Time and Zelda's Lullaby. Did I miss any more obvious hints in the game about which notes to play for people not familiar with it at all?

There weren't any other hints other than the triforce and arrows. I figured nearly everybody who'll play it would understand the reference, and at the least know how to find out if they couldn't remember. Which seems to be the case, but I know the puzzle itself isn't too elegant (it's actually transposed). Just wanted to make a cheeky reference Smiley

Coffee Thanks guys! Help spread the word!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:41:25 AM by Andrio » Logged

wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2013, 11:18:15 AM »

Congrats on making it onto RockPaperShotgun!

Looks like a nice little game.  Not sure how I missed it this long.  Smiley
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2013, 03:28:15 PM »

Holy shit.

nobody
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2013, 04:21:42 PM »

Oh, right. In getting so caught up with the birds I forgot to mention anything about the Triforce puzzle!

The problem is that even if you get the reference and even if you correctly guess which melody the game requires from you, there are three(?) other plausible notes you could start on to render the equivalent three note melody.

Any reason not to just count any of the four(?) possibilities as correct? You risk making it too easy to stumble upon the solution by accident, but that seems maybe better than a three-out-of four chance of a 'correct' answer getting no feedback response (and so likely suggesting to a player that they're not on the right path).
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »

I just saw it on RPS, nicely done! For the bird puzzle I tried playing the from left to right, after that didn't work I quit with that and the triforce puzzle unfinished. It'd be a real shame if you didn't return to it but I'll look out for your other #1GAM entries!
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »

You guuyyss. Now all of my stuff is broken.

Here's a temporary solution while I sort this out. (Melodisle Download)

I might have to look into web hosting. If anyone who likes Melodisle and wants to help out by donating some money through PayPal to my e-mail address (andrewgleeson01[at]gmail[dot]com) that would be awesome! Just so I'm not having to pay out-of-pocket for something I'm doing for free.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2013, 06:01:48 PM »

You guuyyss. Now all of my stuff is broken.

Here's a temporary solution while I sort this out. (Melodisle Download)

I might have to look into web hosting. If anyone who likes Melodisle and wants to help out by donating some money through PayPal to my e-mail address (andrewgleeson01[at]gmail[dot]com) that would be awesome! Just so I'm not having to pay out-of-pocket for something I'm doing for free.
check out NFShost.com

geepit
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2013, 03:27:05 PM »

This is a really cool game, really enjoyed it and the mechanic is very nice. Definitely something i'd love to see expanded upon.
The only thing was again the bird puzzle, for the same reason as others in this thread, but it wasn't that bad. However pressing the notes for it wouldn't register for a while, even after checking with and doing the order Raycast posted, but it did work eventually.
Andrio
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »

Okay, bump from the dead.

Might start a devlog for all my #1GAM games, but I've been super busy with school lately and probably won't even make it in time for March. I guess we'll see.

But thank you to everyone who sent me an email, made a youtube video, or wrote an article about Melodisle! I'm proud to have created something people actually liked and went at length to express their feelings about it. It's made me really passionate about making games and is quite possibly the best thing I could have hoped for what is quite literally the first game I made and finished myself.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 04:15:40 AM by Andrio » Logged

Gimlao
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2013, 02:43:32 AM »

Hello, could you tell me what did you use to develop your game ?

I discovered that Melodisle and Home can't be detected by the automatic "Screen Region" feature of XSplit.

I noticed they both have no name in their window title bar, and use F4 to switch between fullscreen and windowed mode.

Apart from that, I love FEZ, so I also love your game. =D

[Edit] Is it "GameMaker" ?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:37:27 AM by Gimlao » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic