Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056771 Posts in 42926 Topics- by 34871 Members - Latest Member: radik

October 23, 2014, 11:42:24 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsDreams of Sand
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dreams of Sand  (Read 1238 times)
xoorath
Level 2

I make things.

View Profile WWW Email
« on: February 28, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »

This is Dreams of Sand.

Two years ago I was in a coma for a week and I'm not entirely sure why it happened. This game is inspired by that event, but the story bits are under some heavy development right now. I'll be sure to post more when it's flushed out.

Holler:

Version (dd-mm-yyyy):               Leap SDK:    Windows Build:    Mac Build:            Source Code:    What's new:
Alpha 5 (02-06-2013)0.7.3unavailable(win)download(mac)githubPlaceholder Art
0.0.1.x (28-03-2013)0.7.3download(win)download(mac)githubMaze exploration
0.0.0.3 (18-02-2013)0.7.3download(win)download(mac)githubMaze generation
0.0.0.2 (06-02-2013)0.7.3download(win)download(mac)githubMac build and UI
0.0.0.1 (30-01-2013)0.7.2download(win)unavailable(mac)githubInitial build!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:01:30 PM by xoorath » Logged

xoorath
Level 2

I make things.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:21:24 AM »

Update : Version 0.0.0.3

You might be wondering what I'm making exactly (you curious kitty you). So here's the down low on what it is now and what I'm hoping for it.

Mechanically the game is pretty simple, you're a glass ball in a maze trying to collect sand. There will be an opponent for most of the game that's trying to take sand from you by collecting anti-sand (for a lack of a better name). Every time you collect sand you get closer to victory and every time they collect sand you get further from victory.

Under the surface the game is about a very personal life experience of mine where I got very sick. Each level of the game represents one night of me being in a coma, there are 6 levels in total. As you play through the levels you're playing the role of my body fighting through the night to hold on. If you complete the level you get a little bit of story where you hear the discussion happening between my family and the stresses it put on them. If you fail the level I don't plan on having any repercussion you simply restart the level. The game (as planned currently) will be very short and easy. Players will want to play to see what happens next, not because of any feeling of fast paced intensity or being rewarded with feeling clever.

During my stay in the hospital my mother would talk to me. She wasn't sure if I could hear her or not and after the fact I let her know that I couldn't hear anything - I didn't even know I was there for more than the night. This game plays on the notion of "what if I could hear what was going on and that gave me my reason to fight?", when in reality the situation wasn't so dramatic. I couldn't hear anything and although I was in intensive care the doctors induced the coma and they had control over the situation, not me.

That's what Dreams of Sand is all about.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:28:15 AM by xoorath » Logged

xoorath
Level 2

I make things.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 09:26:49 AM »

Update : Version 0.0.1.x

Hello again friends,

I've reached another chapter in the Dreams of Sand development. It's been a Month since I last talked about what I was up to, I wasn't planning a one month milestone but things happened to line up nicely with what I've accomplished.

The latest build is available in the first post and a new video is up there as well showing what the game looks like. I'm sure some of you are familiar with how frustrating video recording a game is when lag gets in the way of your input. Never the less I promise the game runs much smoother on modern machines, I'll be testing it against my MacBook air tonight to make sure it performs well.

Some of the cool new things I've been up to include making a build server for both windows and mac. Now when ever I want I can trigger a build remotely and within a minute or so a zipped up build will appear in my dropbox. The game is also much closer to being playable (the next milestone). I've designed the high concept of the levels that are going to be in the game but I haven't sat down and thought through how fun or engaging they are, just the emotion I want to convey.

I'm frequently battling my ego and concerns of selfishness in the game design. I think I have my head on straight but it's hard to know until I get other people playing through it which will hopefully happen by this time next month. Making such an emotionally personal game that's based off of real and tragic experiences that I wasn't awake to experience has my stomach doing back flips. Are people going to care about my personal experiences? Do I care if people care about my personal experiences? I had no idea when I was starting that this was going to be the most challenging part of making the game happen. We'll see where it goes soon enough.

xoorath
Level 2

I make things.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »

Update : Alpha 5

Hey guys,

It's been a little while now but I'm back with new changes and a new build up. Only for OSX right now. My build server is down for now because I'm in the process of moving to Montreal for a very not-indie gig (working at Ubisoft on Watch_Dogs). So without the build server we're going to get builds a lot less consistently because it's a pain in the ass to get the versions to sync and be well tested.

Aside from switching my versioning to a simple "Alpha #" there are some pretty neat new changes. The game now has textures, broken physics, some back-end shader shit and it runs smoothly on iOS and BB10. I'm not against supporting android I just don't have a device so I'll do that whenever I get some cash to burn on a new a tablet...

The design work for the menu flow is also worked out and I have a strategy worked out for payment. Here's what I'm thinking...

First you get the intro animations / title and then you go straight to the tutorial. When you complete the tutorial you go to a screen that asks you how you want to pay for the game. You'll get the options Pay what you want or share with your friends.. The share option will be entirely trust based, Im just going to throw open a browser with a preset tweet or facebook message and you choose to send it or not. I wont keep track of you sharing it or not, but I'll make it easy to do if you want to. This will make the game really easy to steal as I'm going to put zero effort into making sure you "pay".

My idea behind this is to make the game as easy as possible to help you without putting any DRM or anything in your way. I also don't want to force anyone to accept app permissions that I would only use right then to share. My hope is that if the game is very honest and straight forward that more people will be willing to pay. I also don't care at all if I make money on this game - it's mostly an expressive project and I'm not even sure I'll be allowed to publish it (any other Ubi indies here with insight?).

Anyways, that's it for today. Thanks for reading guys.

Jared

eigenbom
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 06:20:43 PM »

Amazeballs! Smiley

xoorath
Level 2

I make things.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »

Update : Unity

Hey guys,

I recently switched to Unity, that's the biggest news I have for now. I made some change to the game design including character development and flushing out the level structure some more. I still haven't really designed a level yet so I'll have to make sure the challenges are interesting enough to keep players inside the world I'm building for them.

I really wish I could post more on everyone else's devlog but I can't access it from work without going through some BS. So I just silently lurk in the shadows, loving you guys from a distance. So hopefully those who know me don't think this is just a selfish duplicate blog where I just paste it hoping for +x sales when the game launches. I really do want to be invested in the community more but when I'm home I really like to focus on code and that's it. Work is where I have 30+ minute compile times and hour+ code syncs to browse during.

Thanks again for reading, I'll have some real art to show you guys soon. Smiley

Jared

FamousAspect
Level 1

some day you will die

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:46:40 PM »

Just scanning through your updates. It is terrible that you were in a coma for two weeks, but if you are able to use it for inspiration to make something great that would be amazing. I didn't try out any of your builds atm but I am intrigued by the concept. I look forward to seeing an update with the art that's coming soon.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic