Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:49:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallSkullpogo iPhone - New Version! (1.1)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Author Topic: Skullpogo iPhone - New Version! (1.1)  (Read 63036 times)
ChevyRay
« on: October 09, 2008, 11:58:50 PM »

Version 1.1 is now in the App Store!

Whoa, it's been a busy couple of months!

S K U L L P O G O

Coming Halloween, October 31, 2009!
Also, keep updated on new versions, contests, etc.

www.skullpogo.com

The downloadable PC game I released here in 2008 has been completely remade and souped up for the iPhone and iPod Touch! Kiss Not only is this my first iPhone game, but it's my first commercial game ever.

Of course, since I'm such a big-time amateur, this was only made possible by a couple of indie vets. These guys are creator of the iPhone/TIGCompo masterpiece Enviro-Bear, and the fantastic musician behind Bonesaw and The Spirit Engine 2.

I did nothing to deserve working with such awesome folks, so I'm wetting myself with excitement!

WizardJustin Smith
www.enviro-bear.com
Programming Wiz Hand Any Key
    NinjaJosh Whelchel
www.jwmusic.org
Music Ninja Hand Clap
    CrazyChevy Johnston
www.properundead.com
Graphics & Game Design Hand Pencil

The game features:

• More (awesome) powerups and several different enemies
  • 3 control schemes: Tilt, Seek, and 2-Button
  • We worked our asses off on polish & special effects.
  • Online highscores, and achievements
  • Come on, what other games can you drop nukes on Vampire Pigs?
  • It'll be cheap <3

Some extra ramblings for who it may interest:

Skullpogo is basically my efforts to create the ultimate coffee-break game. It is all about the gameplay, and thus offers no cinematics, no flashy cutscenes, no RPG elements, and no lengthy loading screens. When they've got 100 Apps on their iPhone, I want people to choose Skullpogo because it's: 1) Quick to start up. One-press and you're playing! 2) Fun in premise, easy to play, yet skillful to master. And 3) I can't think of an excuse not to want to battle hordes of the undead with nothing but a pogo stick. Really. When your friend leans over your shoulder and asks what you're playing, no summary or explanation of Skullpogo should have your friend leave that interaction without their interest piqued.

In a market full of clones, movie-based titles, novelty beer-drinking apps, and largely (though not wholly) uninspiring creations, I hope I can bring something fun and interesting that people can come back to again and again, whether they're bored, in-between chores, or looking to rock some  :shrug2:major combo chains. Not just play for two minutes and then hit up the App Store for something new.

Support the INDIE MUSIC CANCER DRIVE. Skullpogo does. And Skullpogo is COOL.
Become a fan on FACEBOOK, or apply as an ARTIST!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 04:03:16 PM by ChevyRay » Logged
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 01:00:56 AM »

wow...just WOW.
watched the little youtube clip and after 1-2 seconds of watching i was sure that this is a fun game.
and i was right.

damn thats polished!
love the controls and feel of the game, the combo action, the powerups (sometimes skullpogo got wings...yeah :-D jumping on bats, pigs, powerups...massive combo...  Grin
love the graphics and animations.
the PIGS... (great how they fly away)...then the big piggie...cool cool.
so much fun.  Grin
the character design itself. very good.

after first try i got 49.575 points.

truly awesome game!  Gentleman
so next try. lets see what hi score i can get this time  Wink

but first i play through the tutorial. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 01:06:44 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
jstckr
Level 7

ilu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 03:48:56 AM »

Great game, could only repeat what AuthenticKaizen said.

Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2008, 03:51:45 AM »

Fuckin A! This is really playable and polished. Should get it hosted online, and watch it become an internet craze :D

first try- 38,300

Renton
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2008, 03:58:09 AM »

This would be a fuckin' internet sensation had it been a flash game on Newgrounds.
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2008, 04:08:33 AM »

Renton has a good point.. if you get someone to recode this into flash, im sure you could get it sponsored for around $2700, and it would have literally millions of plays all over the internet.

Its actually like a more polished version of Indestructotank or whatever that was called.. an that game got huge!

ChevyRay
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2008, 04:26:26 AM »

Renton has a good point.. if you get someone to recode this into flash, im sure you could get it sponsored for around $2700, and it would have literally millions of plays all over the internet.

Its actually like a more polished version of Indestructotank or whatever that was called.. an that game got huge!
That's the exact same thing Cactus told me! (about looking into getting sponsored+recoded, not indestructotank)

You guys really thing it could be that popular?

You guys are too kind. Just because of that, I'm gonna give you all a special feature right now. Smiley

ONLINE HIGH SCORES
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:31:52 AM by ChevyRay » Logged
ChevyRay
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 04:39:26 AM »

Okay! New downloads are up with online-score compaitibility! Everybody, download it again. If you want to keep your highscores so you can submit them online, just transfer the "SCORES.dat" file over and the game will automatically load up your scores from it.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2008, 04:50:39 AM »

Ha, fun game! Grin

44619 on first try. Something seems a little strange with the online highscore though; I hit Submit, and my score seems to be on the online highscore table, but it doesn't yet show up in the game when I hit Refresh.
ChevyRay
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2008, 05:06:04 AM »

I think it might have something to do with a cache or something like that. Because I programmed it to wipe the online score record clean and download a new one when refresh was pressed. I'll have to look into it more. You can get it refreshed if you quit the game and open it up again (for some reason). The online list is always updated, though.

I'll have to fix that refresh function.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2008, 05:36:40 AM »

I think you mean MB instead of KB in your first post there... o_O

Whoa what the fuck.  The transparency for the sprites is just uhh not working for me, and everything has a big ole white box around it.  Weird.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 05:40:02 AM by xerus » Logged
ChevyRay
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2008, 05:40:49 AM »

Did you extract the files?

And yes :D I did mean MB.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2008, 06:00:01 AM »

i think that too with flash + sponsoring...   Beer!

i say to you chevyravy: this polished game has real potential, so believe in yourself and your project and check it out.  Smiley
good chances to get sponsored and get some money for your brillant effort.  Gentleman

i myself prefer downloadable versions but hey they are hordes of people out there who love flash games...and i think they would appreciate such a quality game.

btw
my new hiscore 56.564
(waited every level until the timer was nearly over and only then i collected the level up thing.)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 06:05:04 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2008, 06:08:29 AM »

Oh, one small thing: it might be nice to have the option to turn off sound and/or music separately within the game.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 06:22:38 AM »

So, here's some feedback that I went over with ChevyRay during the beta phase, but would like to convey to the public for thoughts:

• Separating the good powerups from the bad and having them spawn separately, so that you don't end up getting the "reverse controls" and "rain" powerups four times in a row.
  • Add a timer which shows the duration time of the powerup that is currently active.
  • Add time to the timer after each hit in a significant combo- IE, adding a bit of time for each hit after 20 that you make.
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 06:43:36 AM »

So, here's some feedback that I went over with ChevyRay during the beta phase, but would like to convey to the public for thoughts:

• Separating the good powerups from the bad and having them spawn separately, so that you don't end up getting the "reverse controls" and "rain" powerups four times in a row.
are the powerups not randomly generated?

• Add a timer which shows the duration time of the powerup that is currently active.
the idea is good but im not sure if it looks confusing.

• Add time to the timer after each hit in a significant combo- IE, adding a bit of time for each hit after 20 that you make.
rewarding the massive combos is a good idea that adds motivation to the game.

policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2008, 06:45:23 AM »

awesomely addicting superfun.
ChevyRay
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2008, 06:46:22 AM »

I don't think #2 is a good idea. Throwing another timer on the screen isnt' something I'm like to do, and keeping mental track of where the things are on screen and how long they've been there is part of the skill Wink

I still might entertain the idea of having combos add to your time, but then we'd have a multiplying effect, and I tried to avoid those in this game as much as possible (everything has an up AND a downside). Everything.

@Muku, you mean an option for the pause-screen? That could probably be arranged Smiley

(waited every level until the timer was nearly over and only then i collected the level up thing.)
Aha, you're learning, my friend Wink but you're not at the 90000s yet!
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2008, 06:54:15 AM »

@Muku, you mean an option for the pause-screen? That could probably be arranged Smiley

Not necessarily on the pause screen, the main menu (or a new options menu) would do. Currently you can change it only at startup, and even there sound and music are coupled. Sometimes I want to have my own music playing in the background but still enjoy the game's sound effects.

One thing that bothers me after playing for a bit more: I find it very hard to figure out what all the powerups do. The shining white halo? The rain? And then there's this monster face thing which seems to prescribe a certain combo via the flashing icons at the bottom of the screen, but even if I complete this combo there doesn't seem to be any obvious reward. So you might want to include instructions as to what these things do, or telegraph their effects in some way if possible.

But otherwise it's really fun!
AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2008, 06:56:30 AM »

Aha, you're learning, my friend Wink but you're not at the 90000s yet!
yeah...the good old learning curve  Grin
« Last Edit: October 10, 2008, 07:00:13 AM by AuthenticKaizen » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic