Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056237 Posts in 42892 Topics- by 34842 Members - Latest Member: smoofano

October 22, 2014, 07:03:39 PM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeAudioNeed Feedback and Help!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Need Feedback and Help!  (Read 598 times)
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 01, 2013, 08:23:07 AM »

Hey guys!  Grin

I recently uploaded a new track on my SoundCloud "Alone". You can listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/musicore-studios/alone

I just wanted some feedback on my piece, as it is the first piece in my independent album "The Clouds".

Another question: How do go about buying new samples? The leading music sample providers like EWQLSO are EXTREMELY expensive, and I feel like the samples I use in my music are getting repetitive. Any help?  Undecided

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 08:32:28 AM »

Hey guys!  Grin

I recently uploaded a new track on my SoundCloud "Alone". You can listen to it here: https://soundcloud.com/musicore-studios/alone

I just wanted some feedback on my piece, as it is the first piece in my independent album "The Clouds".

Another question: How do go about buying new samples? The leading music sample providers like EWQLSO are EXTREMELY expensive, and I feel like the samples I use in my music are getting repetitive. Any help?  Undecided

Right away I can say that the volume is way too soft. The melody is nice, from what I can hear, though.

As for samples, have you looked at Zero-G? They do have some titles worth only $30. Another good place to go, albeit for electronic sounds, is Sampleism; I've almost never seen stuff sold there in excess of $20.

petertos
Level 3

I like to dance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:40:14 AM »

I agree, volume is too low. Doesn't happen in other compositions from you. Use a compressor filter to boost it up to the perfect volume.

On samples, I don't know what software you use so it is difficult to suggest anything.

http://pliski.com/ - Serious Entertainment
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 02:23:32 PM »

Thanks so much for the feedback - I'll definitely increase the volume. The beginning was meant to be soft. If you can, use headphones and see if the volume output and atmosphere is recognizable.

I am currently using FL Studio 10, which is pretty rare, but I really like the interface and its easy for me to use.

I am currently looking for good quality solo string instruments. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks again for responding!

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Muuurgh
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 02:59:16 PM »

Thanks so much for the feedback - I'll definitely increase the volume. The beginning was meant to be soft. If you can, use headphones and see if the volume output and atmosphere is recognizable.

I'd say that with headphones, yeah, it's fine, but turning the beginning up a liiittle more wouldn't hurt what you're going for.  Without headphones, though, I didn't know anything was going on at first at a pretty high volume on my laptop speakers.  Granted, I'm not the best authority on volume level because I'm having similar issues when listening to my pieces... Using headphones, my work sounds good at a normal volume level, but then listening on my MacBook Pro speakers, I have to crank the volume and the sound isn't acceptable.  I don't know what other people suggest (nor do I know if you produce your stuff using solely headphones), but I think finding a happy middle ground is the best way to do it--that way, when others listen to your work, you'll feel more comfortable knowing that it'll sound good despite whatever medium they use to listen to it on. 

... that was a long way of saying toss your headphones aside and crank that part up a bit more so everyone will enjoy it equally  Beer!  Also, I enjoyed the piece.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »

I don't know what other people suggest (nor do I know if you produce your stuff using solely headphones), but I think finding a happy middle ground is the best way to do it--that way, when others listen to your work, you'll feel more comfortable knowing that it'll sound good despite whatever medium they use to listen to it on. 

Thanks for your input Muuurgh.  Grin I also seem to have trouble increase to volumes of bass instruments (cello, bass guitar, etc) without overpowering the rest of the instruments of the piece. I use audacity right now for further compression/amplification, but do you guys know of any other software out there that would increase specific volumes (i.e., treble, bass, mid-range)?

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 05:06:58 PM »

Pretty good track, fits the title.

The one big problem I think, is that there is an inconsistency in regards to the space you're aiming to create. Some stuff has tons of reverb suggesting a large empty space, but other sounds don't seem to share this quality.

Take for example the low piano notes starting around 0:13. They seem cramped and dry compared to the higher notes that came before. It could just be because they're quite rich in bass frequencies but either way its not quite as distant as everything else seems. More reverb and delay should solve that.

In fact I think delay would really help out in a lot of places here, but that's just me.

Oh god this banner is hideous.
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2013, 07:52:57 AM »

Thanks Justsometoast. I know what you mean by the distance in the piano samples. I don't put together individual samples, so I am using a whole piano samples for all of my notes. Unfortuately, this "distance" problem is caused by the piano samples I use(FL Keys). So there is not much I can do but buy a different piano sampler  Sad

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2013, 09:42:44 AM »

You could always load 2 instances of FLkeys and put different effects on them.

You could put more reverb on the low notes while leaving the higher notes intact.

Oh god this banner is hideous.
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2013, 11:02:30 AM »

Justsometoast, that's actually what I had done, but it seems that the tones of a few low tones sound much more distant, than other low notes. I'll definitely keep your comments in mind though when I am creating the other pieces in the album.

I'm also having trouble of how to master my finished pieces. Can anyone tell me how to "master" tracks, and if so give some examples? Thanks!

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Lauchsuppe
Level 2

hruabp

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2013, 12:27:17 PM »

Thanks for your input Muuurgh.  Grin I also seem to have trouble increase to volumes of bass instruments (cello, bass guitar, etc) without overpowering the rest of the instruments of the piece. I use audacity right now for further compression/amplification, but do you guys know of any other software out there that would increase specific volumes (i.e., treble, bass, mid-range)?

You're probably looking for an EQ. Someone on here (or maybe not on here, I'm not quite sure) posted a really good tutorial on EQing a while ago. While it's mainly directed at creating DnB music, most of the important stuff can still be applied to mixing music of any genre. It's really well explained.

What you really shouldn't do is loading your .wavs into audacity and boosting the volume to its limits, this will drastically distort the sound. The same guy also wrote a detailed tutorial on how compression works, you might want to check that out as well.
Also, I'm not all too familiar with FLStudio, but I think you should be able to do all the compressing and EQing within your DAW; you don't need an additional software like audacity for these purposes.
petertos
Level 3

I like to dance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2013, 12:34:11 PM »

Aside from using a compressor, which is totally recommended to boost up and normalize your sound signal, I would suggest another small trick:

Give each note a slight different velocity so it resembles a more natural play, like if it was played live. You know, a live musician won't play every note at the same level.

I use this on my drum tracks, violins, trumpets... everything. Also controling the volume of the signal of each track and playing with it. The whole song will sound smoother and cooler, or at least that's why I think Smiley

Sample:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJVSyEQ2vrs

Lauchsuppe
Level 2

hruabp

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2013, 01:00:08 PM »

Aside from using a compressor, which is totally recommended to boost up and normalize your sound signal
This is exactly what a compressor doesn't do; it doesn't "normalize" anything, it adds (artificial so to say) signal in order to increase the volume. If the inital sound wasn't loud from the start, you have to distort it in order to make it louder. It might not be 100% correct technically, but it's a good analogy to get the basic idea of what a compressor does: Let's say you have an image of 200px times 200px. Now, if you want to make it smaller (while maintaining the same ratio), let's say resize it to 100x100, you won't encounter major issues. However, if you'd choose to enlarge it and make it 400x400 instead, you will notice a huge loss in quality. The picture size in this example would be equivalent to the volume of the audio signal.
petertos
Level 3

I like to dance

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2013, 01:04:39 PM »

I must say two things:

• I don't know exactly what the compressor does.
  • I disagree, I think the compressor normalizes the sound: It boost it up if it is needed, but it lowers it down if it is needed so in the end you have a very standard, smooth and homogeneous sound wave. Like a frankfurten sausage. Smiley

Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2013, 01:13:24 PM »

@Luachsuppe, thanks sooo much for this tutorial.  Grin I'm already learning some things I can do for my next piece. And thanks for your advice on audacity. Right now I open my mp3s in audacity and mainly use the amplification and compression features, but I'll try to compress the sound through FL Studio itself. I know they have a compression feature, I just don't really know how to use it  Tongue.

@petertos, thanks for your suggestions on configuring the velocity. I used different velocities it in my piece, but by no means am I a master at getting the real-life sounds that I want! I checked out your example and I understand for you are going for.

Thanks again for all those who responded. I don't mean to drag this post, but I am also having trouble fully completing my pieces (as in creating a full-length piece with an end). On my SoundCloud, I created a new set labeled "Audio Sketches" where I roughly sketch out my musical ideas in 1-2 minutes of music. You can listen to them here: https://soundcloud.com/musicore-studios/sets/audio-sketches. These pieces don't really have an end, because I don't really know hoe to end them.

I guess my question is how do you bring closure to a piece? Do you leave it loop-able, fade it out? I don't really know how to make an ending, and this was one problem I incurred when making "Alone"

Thanks in advance for all your help  Grin

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic