Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411433 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58418 Members - Latest Member: Pix_RolleR

April 20, 2024, 07:51:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesLet's Dissect Some MOBAs (LOL, DOTA2, SMITE, etc)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Let's Dissect Some MOBAs (LOL, DOTA2, SMITE, etc)  (Read 11913 times)
Dragonmaw
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2013, 10:36:51 PM »

what is a moba
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2013, 06:38:14 PM »

I just gave AirMech a go...

I like the game in theory but OMG, all this in game micro-transaction bullshit...
Before I even have the slightest clue what the game is about or like I'm being hassled to buy skins and upgrades and flares and wtf!

Why do I care what items are on free rotation?! I don't even know what that means!

Makes me really appreciated the way dota is free in a non-pain-in-the-ass way, <3 Valve

AshfordPride
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »

Yeah, I gave Airmech a go because I really liked the idea of a Moba that was only dependent on two people a team.  But, jeez, if they don't just throw you right into the mess of boosts, ships, pilots, and bases that you don't even feel like it's worth bothering with. 
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2013, 04:58:18 PM »

the robots in airmech are kinda boring
Dragonmaw
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »

Airmech isn't really a MOBA.

It's basically just a free-to-play version of Herzog Zwei (AKA my second fav game ever). If you try playing it like a MOBA you are gonna get stomped.

If you want some tips, here they are:

1.) Bases are captured by setting down an infantry next to it. The infantry will run in through the door, and if they make it all the way it'll count towards capping the base. Once you have four dudes inside, it converts to your team's control.

2.) Units generally follow a predictable power progression. Heavies > Mediums > Lights > Motorcycles > Infantry.

3.) If a unit is stationary, you can attach it to a base (the little circular object on the ground near the base) to make it auto-heal and give it more health. Some units (the moneymaker) have to be put on this spot to function.

4.) Healing units are super duper important.

It's one of the few free-to-play games I've played where the default loadout is actually the best in terms of all-around usefulness. You can tweak it and stuff to your liking, but that starter loadout is a really fantastic set of units if you just want to play the damn game. Can't say that about many other games.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:14:20 AM by Dragonmaw » Logged
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:19 AM »

I wish more people had played Super Monday Night Combat.

That game was superfun.

olücæbelel
AshfordPride
« Reply #66 on: March 14, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »

☑ Multiplayer
☑ Online
☑ Battle
☑ Arena

Is that the siren call of ARTS I hear?

I wish more people had played Super Monday Night Combat.

That game was superfun.

You and me both, man.

I bought MNC on the 360, then the PC, and then played SMNC.  I had two PAX's worth of pre-release celebrations.  I met Mickey Cantor.  I got dozens of PAX skins for SMNC.  Shit man, I think I made a thread about the game right here on Tigsource about it.  I think I even got a Pit-Girl pinup tucked in my closet somewhere...  These games got me so pumped.  Really, I think the game stands as one of the best parodies of professional sports to date.

Just too bad the game was so bobbled.  Do they even care about SMNC now that they got all that sweet, sweet Kickstarter money?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:27:45 AM by Samtagonist » Logged
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 14, 2013, 09:05:12 AM »

Just too bad the game was so bobbled.  Do they even care about SMNC now that they got all that sweet, sweet Kickstarter money?

Seems that they don't anymore. No updates for a while, hardly any players. No reason to do so. Maybe once Planetary Annihilation properly gets off the ground, they'll go back and give SMNC the love it deser--nah, who am I kidding. They'll never go back. :<

According to Steam, SMNC is my most played ever game. (Actually Street Fighter probably takes that crown, but still.) I was one of those few involved in the Saturday Afternoon SMNC games organised on IRC, long after the game was dying. We tried to keep it going, but... Cry

olücæbelel
Blademasterbobo
Level 10

dum

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:34 AM »

☑ Multiplayer
☑ Online
☑ Battle
☑ Arena

are you autistic or what pal

Hand Point Left Hand Shake Left Hand Thumbs Down Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Bro Fist Left Hand Metal Left Toast Left Hand Fork Left Hand Money Left Hand Clap Hand Any Key Tiger Hand Joystick Hand Pencil Hand Money Right Hand Knife Right Toast Right Hand Metal Right Bro Fist Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Down Right Hand Shake Right Hand Point Right
Dragonmaw
« Reply #69 on: March 14, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »

☑ Multiplayer
☑ Online
☑ Battle
☑ Arena

AshfordPride
« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2013, 11:55:37 AM »

☑ Multiplayer
☑ Online
☑ Battle
☑ Arena

Dragonmaw
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2013, 12:41:11 PM »

why are you even in this thread
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2013, 01:05:14 PM »

what i find most interesting about mobas is how angry everyone gets; it's a great place to understand the motivations of players. i think almost everyone would be happier playing these games if they didn't care whether they won or lost, but, strangely, everyone cares about winning, even though they are nominally playing the game for fun and don't actually get anything by winning. personally i think it's more fun to lose a well-fought close game than to win too easily in a landslide, yet, judging by the majority of players i've encountered playing these games, the opposite is generally true: most players care more about winning than anything else. i sometimes wonder if this applies to life outside of moba games -- if so, it'd explain why people in college cared more about good grades than about actually learning the material

related, i also suspect the reason LoL and similar games are so full of trolls is exactly because the kind of people who play those games are the easiest to troll. the more someone cares about winning over having fun, the easier it is for people to take advantage of that. i suspect there's be a much less trolling in LoL if the trolls weren't fed so much in the currency of rage and tears

it's also somewhat alarming how much people care about their kill-death ratios, even though it's been proven time and time again that that isn't what wins games. a 0/7 taric support can be of more use to a team than a 5/1 lux support, and if you compare a champion's win rate to kill-death ratio there's almost no relation, champions with very low average kill-death ratios can have very high match victory rates (an example is amumu) or vice versa (an example is akali). the game as a mechanical thing is interesting if you study stuff like that, but, it seems like the people who most care about winning somehow care the least about actually learning how to win

of course most of what i said above doesn't apply to very good players, they're much more sensible. i'm talking only about the average skill player (anyone below around 1600 elo or so, which is around 90% of players i think).

lately whenever i play i like to do weird builds and use weird champions in weird roles -- support fiddle, jungle nasus, AD singed with manamune, that kind of stuff. i find the game too boring to play unless i spice it up by trying something new like that
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 01:16:30 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

AshfordPride
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2013, 01:32:23 PM »

I think the problem is that these games are a social experience.  You're meant to experience a lot of things outside of the game.  Talking to your friends who play, look at forums and online guides, and basically just learn about the way the game works and the culture it has.  I feel that the 14 year old Peruvian boy who told me 'shut up nigga' over and over probably isn't too involved in those aspects of the game.  These games can't be played in a vacuum or they breed people like this.

And that's another thing.  You could be playing with literal children.  You could just be playing with uninhibited id.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2013, 02:54:21 PM »

super monday night combat was boring

felt like TF2 with creeps. blah.
Mittens
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: March 15, 2013, 04:27:23 AM »

super monday night combat was boring

felt like TF2 with creeps. blah.

Yeah, I wouldn't call it a MOBA, but that game was seriously 'Meh'
To it's merit tho, I did like the tutorial of MNC, it had proper voice acting and established the theme well while showing off some cool animations and getting you very well introduced to the game.
It's a shame that once you're in... the game doesn't feel worth staying around for.

baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2013, 10:31:30 AM »

After putting 200 hours into DOTA2 over the last 2 weeks i still don't feel...

OMFG, this. Is why. I will probably never get into these games.

200 hours / 2 weeks = 100 hours per week.

That's TWENTY HOURS PER BUSINESS DAY.

And this is UNDERPLAYING?! o.o

Fuck. That. "!!".

Landshark RAWR
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2013, 10:35:38 AM »

pfft... casual

ink.inc
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2013, 11:32:13 AM »

casual piggu
deathtotheweird
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »

What does everyone think of Dungeon Defenders 2? The original is a co-cop tower defense game, with each character playing a hero that has a couple of distinct abilities.

But the new one appears to be going the MOBA route. They plan to release with 24 heroes. They don't mention much of their f2p business model, only that they will only sell cosmetics and heroes and they will have a free rotation of heroes every week. Interestingly, they say there is only one form of currency in the game currently. Most games have separate (like LoL with ip/rp), with heroes costing more for in-game earned points rather than purchased points. Hopefully it means we won't have to spend thousands of hours to unlock every hero.

Our take on the MOBA genre is more rpg-esque, with more hero customization, persistent hero leveling, loot and a town square where players can socialize, manage their heroes, shop, trade, and queue for matches. We’ve drastically simplified the item system, to reduce the learning curve for new players and are aiming for shorter total match times.

http://dungeondefenders2.com/blog/

They also plan to have the co-op mode from the first in this game as well, but they seem to be focusing on this competitive mode first.

It seems interesting, I was a fan of the first and this seems like a nice laid-back moba I could enjoy.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic