Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:35:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGrotto Quest (working title)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Grotto Quest (working title)  (Read 24693 times)
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 09:05:40 AM »

I want to keep the story simple and just focus on combat. Kind of like a Cave Story less focus on the plot. The botanical idea seems like it could be a good theme. Maybe the hero ventures down the caves to retrieve a rare herb to cure his sick wife or something similar?

Some cave themes I might use:

• Earth/Underground jungle
  • Crystal/Water
  • Ice
  • Lava/Hell

Progression will be rather straight forward though. I'm just now starting work on enemies. Wish me luck!
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:14:20 AM by Mono » Logged

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:51 AM »

Do the bats look good so far (visually)?

Ant
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »

Ya it looks decent, though could maybe do with more of a bobbing movement when flapping and perhaps a bit of a mouth animation. But personally I try not to worry too much about getting the sprites perfect early on, priority is getting the gameplay and areas in.  Hand Thumbs Up Right
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 10:50:26 AM »

Ya it looks decent, though could maybe do with more of a bobbing movement when flapping and perhaps a bit of a mouth animation. But personally I try not to worry too much about getting the sprites perfect early on, priority is getting the gameplay and areas in.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Thanks! The player sprite is totally temporary as well. Everything is possibly up for change.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 11:02:57 AM »

They remind me of mouse heads.

Flying mouse heads... Which are decapitated.
 Huh?  What the hell is wrong with me?

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 12:54:39 PM »

Are bats not basically flying mice?

I was inspired by this guy:

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 02:16:14 PM »

Looks very pretty! What are you using to capture the screen?

poe
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »

Hmm, it might look better if there wasn't black on the outside of the map, maybe if it faded out or it was filled with tiles?
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 02:25:48 PM »

Saw this in the mockup thread, glad to see you're actually developing it.  The tiles are looking lovely and the movement is looking nice and smooth.

The bat sprite looks nice, but I agree it should bob up and down more.  Also, bat enemies are the traditional "annoying" enemies in games, so you might want to take advantage of your horizontal attack mechanic and make the bat's behavior such that it rarely ventures into the player's "danger-zone" where it can be hit.  Right now the bat seems to line itself up with the player so the player can get an easy hit on it.

Anyway, good luck on the project, it's looking really nice so far.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 05:02:07 PM »

Hmm, it might look better if there wasn't black on the outside of the map, maybe if it faded out or it was filled with tiles?

I'll keep that in mind. So much I have to code right now so it's kind of a low priority. :/

Saw this in the mockup thread, glad to see you're actually developing it.  The tiles are looking lovely and the movement is looking nice and smooth.

The bat sprite looks nice, but I agree it should bob up and down more.  Also, bat enemies are the traditional "annoying" enemies in games, so you might want to take advantage of your horizontal attack mechanic and make the bat's behavior such that it rarely ventures into the player's "danger-zone" where it can be hit.  Right now the bat seems to line itself up with the player so the player can get an easy hit on it.

Anyway, good luck on the project, it's looking really nice so far.

Thanks a bunch! The enemy behavior is basic right now both because haven't had time to work on it and also just because I'm a newbie coder. Just getting enemies in the game so I can start working on the health system etc.

TNERB
Level 5

gamez stink

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 06:57:18 PM »

I like the way the bat looks it's pretty unique. A suggestion I would make would be to have him remain more air born and not get at the same ground level as the player, it looks like he follows the players coordinates maybe just having him follow a coordinate slightly above the player would add some interesting gameplay. This all looks very wonderful so far I hope you do finish it! Is the game going to be composed entirely of single screens like this? That would be sweeeeeet.

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 10:36:21 PM »

This looks great, though I read the bats mouth as two eyes. Tongue It looks fine either way, I suppose.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 01:43:06 AM »

I read 'em as eyes too. Could darken them a little, or just the tops of them.
siskavard
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »

I think you should just name it 'Grotto'
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »

Alright! I just finished a basic health system and also figured out a good way to link rooms together. Health will start at something like 3 hearts (6 hp) and be upgradable. I think of either using ammo or a recharging gun. What do you think?

Now I guess I have to start the level design process. It feels good to have a lot of figuring out stuff behind me and more creative work ahead.

This looks great, though I read the bats mouth as two eyes. Tongue It looks fine either way, I suppose.

Isn't that is the magic of low-res sprites?

I think you should just name it 'Grotto'

Yeh, that could be cool I guess. Smiley

Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 03:08:34 PM »

ammo or a recharging gun

recharging eliminates the need for ammo pick ups/various types of ammo. nobody will be upset if there is no ammo.

also, "Grotto" is a cool name

poe
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2013, 03:10:26 PM »

Recharging is good unless you'll also have melee weapons or at least one weapon that recharges.

So when you say you figured a good way to link rooms together, is it procedurally generated or something?
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »

recharging eliminates the need for ammo pick ups/various types of ammo. nobody will be upset if there is no ammo.

It's an either-or situation. I have a feeling that recharging might work better for this game.

So when you say you figured a good way to link rooms together, is it procedurally generated or something?

Nah, nothing like that.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:51 PM »

What do you think of this look? Obviously it lacks detail right now.

poe
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:17 PM »

Make the background parallax and add some details and ti will look amazing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic