Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:06:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXI: "Thanks For Playing!" [REVIEWED]
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXI: "Thanks For Playing!" [REVIEWED]  (Read 4898 times)
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2013, 02:03:49 PM »

Hi everyone!

So I've had a quick look through the past challenges to make sure this hasn't already been done and I haven't seen it (apologies if it has, let me know).  I hereby announce round 21 of the Tigsource musical challenge  Smiley

Theme:

"Thanks for Playing!"
End credits music challenge

Description:

The game is over, the boss has been defeated, and its time to bask in the glory of our achievement with an awesome end credits score!

Criteria:

I want you to try and give a sense of Triumph and Resolution to put across the idea that the game is over and you should feel good about it. Try to avoid a sombre mood.

Keep entries below 4 minutes.  They are short credits  Smiley

All entries MUST end with a big crescendo (go big or go home!) imagine that the crescendo culminates with a "Thanks for playing" message

You can be really creative with this as it's fairly open ended, all styles are welcome.

Judging:

Production Quality: It's gotta sound good  Shrug

Crescendo epicness: How well did you set up and execute the big finish?

Theme relevance:  Can you imagine this at the end of a game? Do you give a sense of a good resolution?

Smileability: Your entry should make me smile.  (This isn't too hard to do, I'm easily pleased)

Deadline:
16th March 2013 is the last day for submitting.  Extensions will be considered if you have a good reason and really want to enter.  The deadline expires when it's not 16 March anywhere in the world.

-The song must be a new track made for this challenge.
-You will post your song HERE, in the official challenge thread.
-Other participants will listen to your song. You will listen to other participants' songs. Critique will be had.
-Three runner-ups will be chosen by me.
-A winner from amongst the three will be chosen by votes on the forum, in a new FINALS thread (with awesome voting tech and all).
-The winner will host the next challenge.

Looking forward to hearing what you all come up with!

BONUS FUNTIMES: Please post spurious job titles and names with your entries/comments and if I have time I will make an actual credits sequence with the winning entry.

Have fun  Grin

-Steparnicus
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:24:09 PM by Steparnicus » Logged

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 02:07:13 PM »

Sounds like great fun! If I don't enter the competition, I will surely vote.  Coffee

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

Whooo, fancy hosting! :D

Great idea too! Not sure if I can find time to enter though.
Would love to hear a lot of entries!

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013, 03:22:17 PM »

Cool theme, I can already imagine a track in my head.
VDZ
Level 4

My post is there read that instead ->

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013, 05:02:12 PM »

I want you to try and give a sense of Triumph and Resolution to put across the idea that the game is over and you should feel good about it. Try to avoid a sombre mood.
But what if the game doesn't have a happy end? My all-time favorite "credit roll" (actually an epilogue roll),

, has a very somber mood due to how the story turns out (they lose the game with the witch and everybody dies), but it totally fits the resolution and crescendo requirements.
PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 07:12:16 PM »

Well, finished the bulk of my own submission to this contest. Smiley Not submitting it, yet, though, in case I can think of ways to improve it later. Was pretty difficult for me, personally, given my specialty involves minor and/or chromatic scales. XDD

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 07:21:22 PM »

Man, I'd love to write an actual "outro song" with lyrics. That'd be awesome... Hopefully someone does!

Great theme, and nice banner! Grin
Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013, 04:05:11 AM »

But what if the game doesn't have a happy end? My all-time favorite "credit roll" (actually an epilogue roll),

, has a very somber mood due to how the story turns out (they lose the game with the witch and everybody dies), but it totally fits the resolution and crescendo requirements.

I wanted part of the challenge to be to make something more major and upbeat as I think its more difficult to pull off.  Also, there has previously been a "Lose Game" challenge so I wanted to make sure there was no crossover.  Really its also down to my personal preference, I would prefer to listen to happier tracks than sad ones  Cheesy

Well, finished the bulk of my own submission to this contest. Smiley Not submitting it, yet, though, in case I can think of ways to improve it later. Was pretty difficult for me, personally, given my specialty involves minor and/or chromatic scales. XDD

Can't wait to hear what you've come up with!

Man, I'd love to write an actual "outro song" with lyrics. That'd be awesome... Hopefully someone does!

Great theme, and nice banner! Grin

Haha yes something like a Portal or God Hand ending song might end up winning by default  Big Laff Hope you'll be taking part!

Oh and thank you, I can make a blank version of the banner if anyone would like to use it in future too Smiley

PythonBlue
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013, 09:20:02 AM »

Finally submitting my piece. Smiley

https://soundcloud.com/sgtyayap404/mission-accomplished

One of the seemingly-dead projects I'm on is a WWII-style mod, so I guess the influence got in there. XD

Python Blue - composer for NeonXSZ
Official Website
Bandcamp
Tejas Shroff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »

Awesome theme - and easy to relate to!  Hand Thumbs Up Right NICE!!  Grin

MusikTrack
Get On Track
www.musiktrack.com.com
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013, 06:16:10 PM »

Here's my entry. The evil monster is dead, the princess is saved, so it's time for the Victory Parade & End Titles!
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »

Here's my entry. The evil monster is dead, the princess is saved, so it's time for the Victory Parade & End Titles!

I could totally hear this being in a Dragon Quest game, good job!

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:07:29 AM »

Hey, there's such a high level on the shown compositions above! It is discouraging!!  Sad But I have to recognise that it is also teasing me to submit my pick! Congratulations on those creations!

Question to 8th Mode Music: Do you play WOW? I can feel two of your tracks on Soundcloud could be influenced by WOW music: Legends of War, Valley Song. I love these tracks, BTW.  Smiley
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 03:22:04 AM by petertos » Logged

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 01:21:46 PM »

Thanks! I've flirted with the idea, but have never played it, or any kind of mmorpg actually! Epileptic
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 01:23:17 PM »

LOL. Those two tracks remind me of some WOW music. BTW, your entry for the contest is great, it's the one really discouraging me from present mine, I think it's very good, congrats.

Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2013, 01:50:14 PM »

@Python & @8thMode  -  I'll be saving my official comments til the end but a sterling job done by both of you! Thanks for taking the time to enter Gentleman

Hoping to see some more entries pop up soon! (Mono? petertos? MusiCore? sublinimal, Moritz?)  and don't forget you can post silly names/job titles in this thread even if you can't take part musically.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 02:04:03 PM »

I might just make something serving multipurpose for my game. Smiley

christianc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2013, 06:03:16 PM »

Hey everyone! New poster to the board, but currently working on a game, and I use the board as a resource quite a bit, so I figured I'd register and contribute. This seemed like a perfect opportunity for a first post.

Anyway, here's a song I created for the game we are currently working on. Not sure if it fits anymore, but I still like the song, so I figured I'd post it for fun.

https://soundcloud.com/cc0919/newgamesong2

8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

Welcome Christian, love your piece, that piano sounds so tender!

Also, I want my credit to be "Chief Vice Intern of Pancake Developement" Hand Fork Left Giggle Hand Knife Right
christianc
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 06:41:00 AM »

Thank you kindly! Mine only works for certain types of games, whereas yours would work for nearly any. Great work! I wish someone would develop me some pancakes right now   Sad

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic