Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:47:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioTIGSource Musical Challenge XXI: "Thanks For Playing!" [REVIEWED]
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: TIGSource Musical Challenge XXI: "Thanks For Playing!" [REVIEWED]  (Read 4857 times)
8thMode
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2013, 12:52:23 AM »

*gravelly voice* Kept you waiting, huh?
Steparnicus is back on TIGSource! Wink

Thanks for the critique!
tao-tao
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2013, 03:34:57 AM »

Thanks for the critique Steparnicus! Also, thanks for hosting the challenge. You made very clear what you want to hear, which I think is good for learning (having to work outside the comfort zone and all that...) while still allowing room for different styles.

The lead synth sound and the flow of the composition were actually things I was a bit unsure about, but I had to call it done at some point. Glad you liked the production!

Steparnicus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2013, 04:30:40 AM »

Thank you very much for the critique, Stepharnicus! Smiley Yeah, happy music is not my specialty, and even harder is happy music without a bittersweet element to it. XD

Haha yes I got the impression that you couldn't resist just a little bit of a darker side in your compositions.  If I ever host again I'm going to have to try and come up with a theme that forces you to make something happy clappy  Big Laff

Thanks so much for your critique!  Grin I do agree that my track is a bit shorter than most, but that was partially intentional since I was going for something that makes you feel that you want more...and puts you in the mood of starting a new game.

It wasn't so much that it was short, it just felt shorter due to the lack of progression.  With that said it definitely gives the "one more game" sentiment if thats what you were going for.  I could imagine it being one of those ending themes thats a riff on the opening theme too since the hook is catchy =D

My track made you think of arcade racing games? Interesting, I imagined it playing after a happy ending in some story-based platformer. Wouldn't even be out of place as an ending theme to some FLCL-like show if it were made with rock instruments, heh. For the record,

and the

are my favorite chiptune ending songs (not only because they're good tracks, but specifically because they're fitting ending tracks for their mood), so you might hear a bit of those in my composition.

Yeah, I think it was due to the tempo and the driving rhythm you had going.  It evoked the end of Outrun to me, where its just driving down the road occasionally pausing to reveal credits on road signs.  I can definitely see the Capcom influence, but they tend to be a little faster in tempo, same with Popular Potpourri (which is an absolute choon).  Also, whenever I think of Megaman endings I instantly default to Megaman 2, so thats why it wasn't instantly obvious to me what you were going for  Cheesy

About the ending, I guess I should've played the last bar of the chorus bar twice - first as part of the chorus, then just the triumphant three chords without drums, to punctuate it better. Would've made the transition back to the bass smoother too.

Yeah exactly, everything was in place to finish it with the chord progression and such but it just wasn't right structurally imo.  What you've described here should work fantastically though.  I'm following you on soundcloud now as well so I'll be keeping an eye out for the remix  Smiley

*gravelly voice* Kept you waiting, huh?
Steparnicus is back on TIGSource! Wink

Thanks for the critique!

Big Laff

Thanks for the critique Steparnicus! Also, thanks for hosting the challenge. You made very clear what you want to hear, which I think is good for learning (having to work outside the comfort zone and all that...) while still allowing room for different styles.

The lead synth sound and the flow of the composition were actually things I was a bit unsure about, but I had to call it done at some point. Glad you liked the production!

No problem! thanks for taking part! I was a bit nervous about providing feedback and whittling down the entries to just 3 because there was things I liked about everyone's entries and I didn't want to discourage anyone.  Hearing the range of styles was great too, and made it even harder!

As for your entry, that lead synth wouldn't have been a problem if the whole track had that fully stripped down feel to it (like a PC speaker composition).  However, the synth that comes in at 33 seconds (which sounds much more textured) and then the nice bass sound that gives it that low end makes that basic synth sound out of place.  So it would have been better if you'd gone totally monophonic or just made the lead have a smoother and more textured quality to fit with the other sounds.  Either way though, musically it was so charming and the main melody is brilliant =D 

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic