Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 08:59:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLIEGE - A Dark Fantasy Tactical JRPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: LIEGE - A Dark Fantasy Tactical JRPG  (Read 14412 times)
jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

Hi! Big, late update today from my devlog:

Now that most of the core code is in place, I've switched my focus toward putting together content like new environments, character sprites, weather/day/night presets, etc. There's too much to list in full detail, but here's a whole bunch of screenshots. Enjoy!

I've really begun to make full use of the character sprite generation pipeline I mentioned in an earlier post. Here's a high res of some character animations generated using the process (click for full resolution):

I've also been putting together an official reveal video trailer for the project that I'll be sharing early next week, along with a Kickstarter campaign for the project! With the reveal and campaign launch, I'll be sharing much more in-depth info on the project, including details on what I'm aiming for with the story and combat system.

The next week should be filled with lots of updates- follow along on by liking me on Facebook and following me on Twitter!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:37:00 PM by jrhee » Logged

CODA GAMES | DEVLOG | WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | EMAIL
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

Lovely stuff. Although I'm not entirely sure however, do the characters have perspective based skewed proportions while the environments don't? That's kind of a weird decision. But I don't think it looks bad or anything, I only really thought of it after starting to write this. Lovely, really.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »

Thanks Alextended! Yep, the characters have some perspective while the environments don't. I wanted to keep some perspective on the characters since it allows for more pixels on their faces, but I haven't figured out a way to add perspective to the environments without breaking collision detection, etc. Plus I think maybe my eyes just got used to seeing big heads from my early jRPG days...

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »

Hey, put together a little video teaser trailer thing. Check it out!

Also, put together a little Kickstarter. Check it out also!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »

Great animations, I like that you have cut scenes using the in game graphics. It makes me think of the awesome little sprites backstabbing each other (literally and figuratively) in Final Fantasy Tactics. But yours are of higher fidelity and not SD. Awesome. I can't back it though, Kickstarter has banned me for linking to another site that provided background information of a scammer that started a project there despite the fact I had backed like 10.

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »

I'm really iffy about Kickstarters because of the excess of time that passes between most Kickstarters and a tangible product.

When would closed beta be? That'd be a big factor in deciding whether or not I want to back the game. It looks great but I'm not one to put money towards a game I can't play for a year or so.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

Well, the point of kickstarter is to fund projects to actually get developed (even if many these days use it as just for marketing and don't need the funds to make the product) so what you're iffy about is basically the whole point of its existence. Games take time (and sometimes money). You can wait and buy/pre-order the game proper I guess.

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

Hi Johnki, your concern's understandable. Personally I only back Kickstarters if I either feel its a safe bet from an established studio that I support, or if I feel like the developer is sincere and in need (with the understanding that some risk is involved). As far as the beta, my plan is to share playable builds by Q4 of this year. I hope to have something ready to submit for this years IGF deadline, meaning sometime before October. The full game won't be there, but there will be a completed early segment showcasing the core mechanics.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »

Well done on the Kickstarter! I can see from the video that you and I have followed a similar vein of thinking on how to distill tactical combat, but your solution is clearly more elegant. Can't wait to play it!

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 07:12:04 AM »

Thanks Belimoth!

Process video for anyone else who may be interested Smiley

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:04:36 PM by jrhee » Logged

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 10:33:42 AM »

Hi. Been a while... quick recap:

Kickstarter (funded!)

Greenlight (greenlit!)

Unity port and new art style. Here are screens/vids:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:44:21 PM by jrhee » Logged

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2014, 10:53:11 AM »

The game looks great but I feel like it's too clean compared to earlier screens, earlier ss felt more like a painting which I loved the aesthetic there was also this old nostalgic feeling to them which might be lost because things look more saturated.  Kind of miss the hand painted characters, did you move to 3d because it's less work?  something to consider is rendering the 3d models into a spritesheet and painting over the frames them when you have some extra time.  Find this approach a lot easier/faster than hand painting frames directly and can get as good results.

Still it's a game I would to play : )  keep up the great work!
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2014, 02:48:30 PM »

How couldn't I see this game before? Wah seems like a nice "cross-cultural" RPG between Western en Eastern influences, pretty cool indeed. Follow.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Gregg Williams
Level 10

Retromite code daemon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2014, 04:28:13 PM »

Yeah I agree, think you lost part of the original magic of the old art style. Good luck!

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2014, 10:42:07 AM »

Thanks guys Smiley Will keep working at it and share as we make progress.

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2014, 07:05:11 PM »

Hey, been a little while- just put out a longer, uncut gameplay video. Let me know your thoughts!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:42:03 PM by jrhee » Logged

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 01:40:13 PM »

More info here!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:40:47 PM by jrhee » Logged

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 01:43:00 PM »

Looks beautiful!

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2015, 08:45:42 AM »

Made a ton of changes to our combat system. Instead of traditional turn based combat, I'm switching over to something closer to Transistor or Frozen Synapse, where unit actions occur simultaneously.

Here's a link to the full update:
http://www.codagames.com/big-changes/

Some screens:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:37:38 PM by jrhee » Logged

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 06:07:35 PM »

Hey guys, I'll be at GDC and the Indie Megabooth @ PAX East with a build of the game. If you'll be at either, come say hi and give the game a try!

Also, here's a new trailer:

!  Mock Anger
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 01:32:59 PM by jrhee » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic