Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1038355 Posts in 41961 Topics- by 33586 Members - Latest Member: VitruvianNick

September 02, 2014, 03:44:28 PM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsLiege - a story driven, tactical RPG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Liege - a story driven, tactical RPG  (Read 5223 times)
johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »

Man, this looks fantastic. And it's an RPG to boot!

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 07:23:11 AM »

Thanks johnki!

CODA GAMES | WEBSITE | FACEBOOK | TWITTER | EMAIL
hube
Level 1

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2013, 07:09:25 AM »

wow - saw this in the ScreenshotSaturday thread. Amazing art. Following.

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2013, 03:19:09 PM »

Thanks Hube Smiley

Also, if anyone else is here at GDC, let me know! Here for the first time all by my lonely so would love to meet up with some of you to chat  Toast Right

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2013, 12:26:52 PM »

Quick update: I've been working away at the combat engine for the last few weeks and will be demoing the latest build at the NY Gaming Meetup on 4/30. For anyone in the NY area, come by and say hi! Eat some pizza! Drink a beer!

I'll be posting a video update with lots more details on the combat engine soon after the meetup, but in the meantime, here's a screenshot of the WIP combat UI:

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 12:42:35 PM by jrhee » Logged

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 02:39:01 PM »

Hey! So here's some concept artwork of the playable cast. They're still a bit rough, but they'll do as an intro for now. I may share some more details on each of the characters over time, but I'll probably save most of that for you to discover in the game  Wink

Also, here's a bit of (very poor) video from the 4/30 meetup which shows some recent progress and a basic example of the combat engine in action. Excuse the video quality (filmed/cropped from an iPhone)... will try to get some better footage up with more details soon.

Coming up: a new (castle) environment!

Stay tuned!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:11:52 PM by jrhee » Logged

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2013, 12:11:59 PM »

Hi! Big, late update today from my devlog:

Now that most of the core code is in place, I've switched my focus toward putting together content like new environments, character sprites, weather/day/night presets, etc. There's too much to list in full detail, but here's a whole bunch of screenshots. Enjoy!

I've really begun to make full use of the character sprite generation pipeline I mentioned in an earlier post. Here's a high res of some character animations generated using the process (click for full resolution):

I've also been putting together an official reveal video trailer for the project that I'll be sharing early next week, along with a Kickstarter campaign for the project! With the reveal and campaign launch, I'll be sharing much more in-depth info on the project, including details on what I'm aiming for with the story and combat system.

The next week should be filled with lots of updates- follow along on by liking me on Facebook and following me on Twitter!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 12:48:11 PM by jrhee » Logged

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2013, 12:27:31 PM »

Lovely stuff. Although I'm not entirely sure however, do the characters have perspective based skewed proportions while the environments don't? That's kind of a weird decision. But I don't think it looks bad or anything, I only really thought of it after starting to write this. Lovely, really.

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2013, 08:01:56 AM »

Thanks Alextended! Yep, the characters have some perspective while the environments don't. I wanted to keep some perspective on the characters since it allows for more pixels on their faces, but I haven't figured out a way to add perspective to the environments without breaking collision detection, etc. Plus I think maybe my eyes just got used to seeing big heads from my early jRPG days...

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2013, 06:31:38 AM »

Hey, put together a little video teaser trailer thing. Check it out!

http://youtu.be/ID3VwZ4ZRRA

Also, put together a little Kickstarter. Check it out also!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/codagames/liege

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2013, 11:44:55 AM »

Great animations, I like that you have cut scenes using the in game graphics. It makes me think of the awesome little sprites backstabbing each other (literally and figuratively) in Final Fantasy Tactics. But yours are of higher fidelity and not SD. Awesome. I can't back it though, Kickstarter has banned me for linking to another site that provided background information of a scammer that started a project there despite the fact I had backed like 10.

johnki
Level 9

Invisi-wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:23 PM »

I'm really iffy about Kickstarters because of the excess of time that passes between most Kickstarters and a tangible product.

When would closed beta be? That'd be a big factor in deciding whether or not I want to back the game. It looks great but I'm not one to put money towards a game I can't play for a year or so.

Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 04:03:16 PM »

Well, the point of kickstarter is to fund projects to actually get developed (even if many these days use it as just for marketing and don't need the funds to make the product) so what you're iffy about is basically the whole point of its existence. Games take time (and sometimes money). You can wait and buy/pre-order the game proper I guess.

jrhee
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 05:45:58 PM »

Hi Johnki, your concern's understandable. Personally I only back Kickstarters if I either feel its a safe bet from an established studio that I support, or if I feel like the developer is sincere and in need (with the understanding that some risk is involved). As far as the beta, my plan is to share playable builds by Q4 of this year. I hope to have something ready to submit for this years IGF deadline, meaning sometime before October. The full game won't be there, but there will be a completed early segment showcasing the core mechanics.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »

Well done on the Kickstarter! I can see from the video that you and I have followed a similar vein of thinking on how to distill tactical combat, but your solution is clearly more elegant. Can't wait to play it!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic