Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 06:27:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDog Sled Saga
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Dog Sled Saga  (Read 1790 times)
dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 04, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »

Lisa and I have been working on Dog Sled Saga since December 8th, 2012, and I thought it'd be good to put it up for some feedback from other devs. I've done a lot of lurking and a few false starts on these forums, but now that I have a game coming along, I'm apt to jump back in.

We're up on Kickstarter! We're pretty proud of the video we made for it.

We are a duo: I am doing programming, game design, sound, and music, and Lisa is doing the visuals.

Racing

Dog Sled Saga is about racing a team of variable size, whose speed is determined by their hunger, which you suppress by lobbing a limited supply of treats to them. The rate at which they get hungry is randomized. We're trying to make it hard to spam food at a set interval--the dogs give signals that they're getting hungry before their speed actually dips.

A number of environmental hazards make this difficult. Current set:

• Trees will deflect your throws
  • Wind will make your aimer less predictable
  • Boulders need to be jumped over--failure results in a hit to speed
  • The distance between restock points is the core challenge

In the long run, the parameters of each race will be randomized, but for now we have a preset race list (object placement within a race is randomized.)

Team

The other half of the game is managing your team, which is where I hope is the area where we can make the game feel really rich:

• Races win you money to pay monthly dues for non-beginner leagues, hire new dogs, possibly buy some consumable items, gear, etc.
  • Your dogs will have a skill arc that improves with good races, and will deteriorate if they are left idle or let to get too hungry during races. If their condition gets too poor, a scenario may arise where it's better to take them off the team.

This part of the game is still in the planning stages--we're focusing on making the races fun and good looking first.

Design thoughts

It's easy for me to want to compare it to Pokemon, but I have a lot of XCOM:EU in mind, regarding attachment to your team members and their individual emergent stories. In the future, there will be more varieties of dogs to give them more of an identity (probably just harness color at first.)

I'm also striving to make as many of the game's systems be indicated by the dogs' behavior, rather than UI, as often as possible. I'm hoping that will make it feel more like having a real pet whose signs you need to learn to read.

A recent revision of one of said signals

Right now, there's some scenery, but the world is pretty sparse. We're taking the setting (in-race and overworld) pretty seriously in our plans. We also want to pepper the game with little context-aware cinematic screens that will last five or so seconds.

We won't be holding any gameplay ransom behind microtransactions.

Things we've posted

Lisa and I have a devlog on our site, and we're trying to keep filling it out.

I also have a

, but it's pretty dated by now compared to the game's current state. I also posted some drafts of the game's music.

Progress

I'm really happy with the way the game is coming along. We recently sent out a build to a handful of testers and learned a lot about making the races fun, and we're hoping to send out a new one in a week or two. I don't think the game is overambitious, but I hear every beginner says that.

In terms of release, we had hoped to get a preset-race-only version out early this year, but now we're thinking we'll power through and go straight for "Saga Mode" (managing your team and all that.)

I have a hard time estimating how long it will take to get it done. It feels like it's gonna take a lot of time, but it's within our reach, and we're hooked on working on it.

Platforms

The game is an Air app built with the Starling Framework. It's up and running on PC, Mac, and Android--iOS to come once I buy an dev licence.
--------------------------------------------------

I hope this isn't too much of a messy brain dump--I hope to keep it up to date and hear what you guys think!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:22:33 PM by dorkus1218 » Logged

My audio and video work (mostly game related): http://www.danfitzgeraldav.com/
The game I'm working on: Dog Sled Saga
Devlog for Dog Sled Saga: here
jO
Level 4

Adventure awaits!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2013, 12:04:18 AM »

Wow, that is a really amazing theme for a game!
I can already imagine a lot of the options you have for the gameplay.

You have me intrigued! Also, very lovely dog running animation (where is the tongue?)

Son of Bryce
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:16:28 AM »

This looks great. Creative concept and the gameplay looks fun too! I love the dog animation.

Keep it up!

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 01:41:21 AM »

The animation on those dogs is wonderful. Also, I'm a sucker for good-looking paralax. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out

dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:28 AM »

Thanks folks. I hope I can put a playable preview up soon, or at least some more stuff about gameplay specifics.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 10:48:56 AM »

Cool idea!

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »

seems nice!

Don't know about the idea but it could be cool

GroZZleR
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 08:35:15 PM »

Really unique sounding concept and the art is shaping up nicely.

Linkshot
Level 1

Tricky Tricky

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »

A sucker for racing and a sucker for snow. This has my attention.
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 09:50:49 PM »

Interesting. Will you be able to get things other than dogs to pull your sled? (Dragons, cats...)

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 10:29:48 PM »

Interesting. Will you be able to get things other than dogs to pull your sled? (Dragons, cats...)

We actually had an idea about having a cat that would have a super rare chance of being available for hire. Churning out visuals for all the breeds (and species, as you suggest) is an obstacle, but we also want to keep it expansible post-release, so you never know.

dorkus1218
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 05:22:04 PM »

We just posted the Kickstarter campaign we decided to run! It was a pretty intimidating call to make, but we're excited to see how it does. We worked really hard on our video and designing some physical rewards. Check it out if you please.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic