Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:50:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsEXCOSC game jam Aug 17th-24th
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: EXCOSC game jam Aug 17th-24th  (Read 13139 times)
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 04:52:08 AM »

The template is set up to allow commandline arguments (I think!) but so far I've only been able to test it on OS X. Any testing of exported apps on Windows or Linux would be greatly appreciated.
Hi! Great to have you involved Grin

I had a quick test of your code on Windows 7, and it works fine for me. The only suggestion I have is that my launcher actually passes the command line options to the games in a different order to the one in your code (-lp -sa -sp), so it won't quite work right as it is.

Here's a modified version of setup() that will read the command line arguments in any order:
Code:
void setup(){
        int i;

listen_port  = 4444;
send_port    = 5555;
send_address = "127.0.0.1";

for(i=0;i<args.length;++i)
        {
                if(args[i].equals("-lp"))
                {
                    ++i;
                    listen_port = int(args[i]);
                }
                else if(args[i].equals("-sa"))
                {
                    ++i;
                    send_address = args[i];
                }
                else if(args[i].equals("-sp"))
                {
                    ++i;
                    send_port = int(args[i]);
                }
        }

oscP5 = new OscP5(this, listen_port);
send_to_address = new NetAddress(send_address, send_port);
}

Sam____
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 09:08:34 AM »

Hey, thanks! First time messing with command line arguments with Processing. I updated the file and pushed the changes to Github.
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »

And the jam has started! Grin

You're free to post updates to this thread as you go. Given it's an exquisite corpse jam though you might want to keep those updates relatively cryptic, so people don't accidentally start designing their games to accommodate yours. Unexpected interactions are the best interactions.

(it's not a hard and fast rule though - if you want to talk about your game, by all means do so)

Similarly, if you're having technical difficulties, make a post and we 'll try and help.

Once your game's done, make a post with a link and a screenshot and I'll add it to the first post in the thread.

Anyway, good luck! It's going to be fun Grin

(edit: I'm using the #EXCOSC tag on twitter if you want to talk about it there)

NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 11:36:01 AM »

Thread's a bit quiet; I think all the discussion's been happening on twitter.

Here's a screenshot of my game, it's been going pretty well so far. How's everyone doing?

Sam____
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:21 AM »

Off to a good start here. Going to fold the OSC stuff back in later today.

The current plan is to have it parse incoming messages, use them to set things like goal and spawn location, enemy color, etc., but still allow everything to have a enough agency to be interesting when sent back out through OSC.

So far, so good!
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2013, 02:49:11 PM »

This is a lame post but errrm, I can't seem to get the launcher to pick up any games in its sub folders? Anything I'm missing?

For the record, on Win8 running as admin, and have tried having the OSCAvoid exe in the same directory too and not a subfolder.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 04:37:15 PM by paulmcgg » Logged
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 01:06:55 AM »

This is a lame post but errrm, I can't seem to get the launcher to pick up any games in its sub folders? Anything I'm missing?

For the record, on Win8 running as admin, and have tried having the OSCAvoid exe in the same directory too and not a subfolder.
Oh, oops Embarrassed It seems I forgot to include metadata and screenshot files in the Windows zip for OSCAvoid, and it turns out the launcher ignores games without them.

If you re-download OSCAvoid, I've added the missing files so it should work now. I'll upload an updated launcher later today which will warn when it can't find the metadata and let you launch those games anyway.

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 05:15:03 AM »

That's alright! Cheers.

I have an idea in mind now ('Night of the [something undecided]'), will try to use Unity. Has to be a very short jam for me though, hopefully will find the time tonight and tomorrow night.

In the readme for OSCAvoid I see you list the addresses you use. I'm probably just going to use types (ints, floats) but I was wondering if there was a wider total set of addresses to pull from so it's neither restricted to these specific ones or sending information that's not getting picked up.

It might be a good idea if all the games can run windowed too so you can easily switch between.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 05:23:57 AM by paulmcgg » Logged
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2013, 11:26:14 AM »

In the readme for OSCAvoid I see you list the addresses you use. I'm probably just going to use types (ints, floats) but I was wondering if there was a wider total set of addresses to pull from so it's neither restricted to these specific ones or sending information that's not getting picked up.
The rules for the jam (including addresses) are in the first post. OSCAvoid happens to use most of the same addresses because I was thinking about the initial discussion we had about how to organise this jam (this was before we'd set any dates - I just wanted to see how it would work).

I should point out that the only acceptable type for the jam is a normalised float (0..1). This is to make things as flexible as possible, and means that messages can (potentially) be freely routed to any address without complications. I can't speak for other people's frameworks, but my games will ignore any non-float messages they receive.

It might be a good idea if all the games can run windowed too so you can easily switch between.
If you check the readme for my games, there's command line options to set the size of the window and run them windowed (e.g. -w 800 -h 450 -win).

Hope that clears things up. Good luck with Night of the [something undecided]! Grin

paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 12:46:11 PM »

The rules for the jam (including addresses) are in the first post. OSCAvoid happens to use most of the same addresses because I was thinking about the initial discussion we had about how to organise this jam (this was before we'd set any dates - I just wanted to see how it would work).
Apologies, missed that. That's cool, just so I know what the parameters are to design around.

If you check the readme for my games, there's command line options to set the size of the window and run them windowed (e.g. -w 800 -h 450 -win).
And this! Perfect.

Hope that clears things up. Good luck with Night of the [something undecided]! Grin
Cheers. :D
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2013, 03:02:56 AM »

ok, finally have time to work on this! all day today, hopefully I will have something solid by the end. Hoping I can get the commandline arguments working for unity, I found one post that claims you can do it, but I am not sure.

If not, I suppose I can wrap it in some type of thing to set env vars, or pass them in over some other protocol or something.

Sam____
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 05:24:11 AM »

OK. All OSC sending/receiving is finally mapped and working! Hoping to add some sound before the day is up, but I might just spend some time optimizing the code instead.

We'll see what free time I have today. Regardless, I plan on having everything linked to from here late tonight (US Eastern time).
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 08:43:50 AM »

Just finished my game: Gunpowder's Kiss:

It's a kind of bomberman game with game of life(-ish) rules for the wall blocks. It can get pretty chaotic, so I'm slightly concerned that any OSC input from other games might be indistinguishable from the game itself. Hard to judge from testing the game in isolation though.

Download here

I think I'm going to remove the enemies and make a local multiplayer version when I get a second - the interactions of the blocks could make it a decent party game.

(I also finally uploaded an updated version of the launcher which doesn't ignore games which are missing screenshots/metadata)

jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »

well, I didn't really finish anything. I got a thing that you can interact with, and I think it looks kinda pretty. But I didn't get the OSC in Sad I have failed this jam. Not really feeling great about that.

anyways, if you want, here are some builds:
sprite (windows)sprite (mac)
sprite (web player)

Sam____
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2013, 07:27:21 PM »

Aaaannnd finished!  The game needs to be receiving OSC messages to really be a game, which I realized kind of late. Otherwise, I would have definitely done some things differently to have it work as either a link in a chain or by itself.

It runs in a 1280 x 720 window, which might not be ideal for some people. Apologies. This is something I'd like to address when I have some more free time.

Also, I still need to test it with the EXCOSC launcher, but hopefully there won't be too many major issues. Bug? Oh, yes.

Looking forward to giving things a spin when everything is uploaded.

Download from: http://samsheffield.com/releases/ThisMortalCoil.zip

Source is here: https://github.com/samsheffield/EXCOSC_Game
paulmcgg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 06:52:02 AM »

well, I didn't really finish anything. I got a thing that you can interact with, and I think it looks kinda pretty. But I didn't get the OSC in Sad I have failed this jam. Not really feeling great about that.

anyways, if you want, here are some builds:
sprite (windows)sprite (mac)
sprite (web player)
I utterly didn't finish mine either (and it's in an even less showable state). I got stuck on one of the core aspects of the game and couldn't get it working in Unity. :s This is cool btw, especially when I get a run going (not sure what kills me). I love the delay effect & the sounds are nice. Curious as to what you were going to use incoming osc for?

I look forward to playing all the OSC stuff when done (I *might* see if I can finish mine sometime in the next couple of weeks and I'll upload super late if so).
NiallM
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »

I love the atmosphere of this, though it took me a while to realise it was third person. For some reason I assumed it was first person and was confused about why I kept dying. It's a shame you couldn't finish it - I would have loved to see how you were going to work the OSC into it.

Aaaannnd finished!  The game needs to be receiving OSC messages to really be a game, which I realized kind of late. Otherwise, I would have definitely done some things differently to have it work as either a link in a chain or by itself.

It runs in a 1280 x 720 window, which might not be ideal for some people. Apologies. This is something I'd like to address when I have some more free time.
Nice! I had some trouble with my router so I was only able to test it with Gunpowder's Kiss running on the same machine, which wasn't ideal. I really like how you use the OSC input, I think it works really well. It did make my game freak out a bit (video's a bit unclear - it's worth turning the sound on) which was amusing, but I think that was mainly because I was running them both on the same machine and having to constantly give one of them focus while the other idled.

I'll definitely have another go at hooking them up when I've got my router sorted out, hopefully when I have company so it's not quite so much like spinning plates.

The one issue I had was that on Windows, it complained about a missing 'lib' directory, so I had to run it on my mac.

It seemed to work fine with the launcher, btw (on the mac, anyway).

I look forward to playing all the OSC stuff when done (I *might* see if I can finish mine sometime in the next couple of weeks and I'll upload super late if so).
Please do! Late entries are very welcome.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic