Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

998225 Posts in 39148 Topics- by 30559 Members - Latest Member: TinyAngryCrab

April 18, 2014, 07:40:12 AM
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsTower Master
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tower Master  (Read 1218 times)
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 05, 2013, 04:11:21 AM »

Ready to save that princess again? No youíre not. Youíre going to die. Over and over again. Please donít blame us, blame your friends!
A 2d multiplayer platformer with user created content:

Play the prototype! www.protocannon.com

Hi guys! We are Triangle Studios, from the Netherlands!

Triangle Studios started in 2006 and has since developed many titles for Nintendo DS, Wii, Ipad, iphone and pc. Last January we decided to go on a little adventure to the world of indie games. We launched a new project that we like to call Protocanon. Protocannon means that, every other month, we set aside everything we're doing and, like a proton cannon, focus all our energy into building a working prototype. The name of the first prototype that came bursting out of the barrel is Tower Master, which this topic is all about.

So the goal was to build a working prototype for a game that is fun to play. As it turned out, it works just fine and we love playing it! We see a lot of potential in the core aspects of the gameplay: you build your own boobytrapped tower in which you and your friends try to be the first to save the princess. And so we decided to continue the project. This is where you guys come in: one of the most important aspects of the development process is feedback from players. We won't waste more words about the matter: just head here to experience it yourself: www.protocannon.com. Download the prototype for free, round up some friends and let us know what you think! Also, we use crowdfunding for development, so if you like the game back us by donating!   Beg

Goals

- Continue development from prototype to finished game. Donations are vital.
- Have a game that is easily accessible: being able to quickly join a game in your break or on a lan party. With easy controls and a small learning curve. The difficulty depends solely on the difficulty of the towers people create (which can be gruesomely difficult). An ideal game to enjoy with a beer and some friends!
- Create a community that creates and shares it's content.

What is Tower Master?

Tower Master is a 2d multiplayer platformer with user created content. It's currently for PC and Mac. The game has an intuitive drag-and-drop level editor(a 5-year old could work with it) that allows you to build your own medieval towers. First you place a starting point, where all players will start simultaneously. Secondly, a finish where the a gorgeous princess will be waiting for her handsome knight. And in between? In between you build an obstacle course/maze, as difficult as you want. There are various boobytraps to use, like: falling rocks, swinging axes, trap doors, etc.

What do we have?

- online multiplayer working.
- multiplayer lobby (host and join)
- very easy level editor
- specating after you finished or died

What do we want?
- A princess (It's just a finish line now)  Facepalm
- All the bugs gone
- A lot of gameplay tweaks
- rankings(speed records, best towers, points, etc)
- Browser for towers
- Online community
- character customization, new traps, etc

Screens

Save the imprisoned princess

Try not to die while doing so

Congratz, you lucky bastard!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 06:51:20 AM by Steven87 » Logged
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »

Hi guys, let's open a beer and play Tower Master together Beer! We'll be hosting some games every Friday: Tower Master Friday! There is also in-game chat! Time: TBA (GMT+1)

Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:38:40 AM »

Hi guys! It's been a while but we've got some news to share with you. Version 298  is now available for download! In the newest version we basically smoothened the rough edges on Tower Master.  We sharpened the spikes, polished the woodwork, oiled the hinges and placed some windows here and there to get some natural light in. The result is a game that offers amazi.... Well, why don't you find out for yourself? :D www.protocannon.com And as always: pay what you want.  Well, hello there!

Changes and fixes:

• Trap doors work better.
  • Side-bumping into a falling stone no longer kills you.
  • Buzz saws now look more awesome.
  • We actually placed more windows.
  • Start and finish are now 1 tile instead of 2.
  • The 'lift trap' no longer has to be triggered.
  • Building blocks and some traps are now topped with a wooden floor.
  • Map editor improvement that allows you to place traps on top of platforms.
  • Collision area of spikes are now smaller to make the jump easier.
  • Removed the falling rock trap (it was buggy as hell).
  • Added the randomness of level props.
  • Changed some menu buttons.

We would also want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for your feedback and support.  Also, we'd like to see you during Tower Master Friday (host name: TM Friday).

Laitch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 12:33:35 PM »

Just tried the prototype briefly and heres my feedback:

Great concept, I didn't play it with any friends but I'm sure it's a lot of fun racing each other to the finish line. The visuals fitted the theme of the game very well and the controls where straight forward. One thing I would implement as soon as possible is checkpoints, it's extremely annoying having to start from the very beginning when you fail at the last trap. I also think it would encourage players to take more changes if they know they don't have to start from the beginning if they fail. It's probably funnier racing people that take changes than if everybody is careful.
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 08:28:56 AM »

Just tried the prototype briefly and heres my feedback:

Great concept, I didn't play it with any friends but I'm sure it's a lot of fun racing each other to the finish line. The visuals fitted the theme of the game very well and the controls where straight forward. One thing I would implement as soon as possible is checkpoints, it's extremely annoying having to start from the very beginning when you fail at the last trap. I also think it would encourage players to take more changes if they know they don't have to start from the beginning if they fail. It's probably funnier racing people that take changes than if everybody is careful.

Thanks for the feedback! As for the checkpoints, the main concept of the game is to build a tower that can make as many kills as possible. And we haven't thrown that idea in the bin yet. On the other hand, you are right it can be annoying to die just before the finish(however some people like these kind of games, i.e. Dark Souls), so we are thinking about other ways to 'help' players. For example pick ups that allow you to start from where you died or bonuses with the same effect that are granted when you finish 1st place. Anyway, it's an interesting problem that applies to a lot of games.  Gentleman
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:36:18 AM »

Today is Tower Master Friday so everyone is welcome to join our game (and give delicious feeback)  Toast Left  Addicted Toast Right
Games Inquirer
Level 4

I love video games.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 08:29:35 AM »

This is the best thing ever!

Check out my amateur blog in Greek or English.
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2013, 11:48:12 PM »

This is the best thing ever!

Cheers  Beer!
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2013, 07:40:15 AM »

Awesome we've got Tower Master running on Ouya!! Why not release it  Who, Me?

It's running smoothly and cross platform multiplayer with PC and MAC works.  Hand Metal Left Hand Metal Right
Atrus
Level 0

Terrifical

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »

Great job guys  Gentleman looks very nice for multiplayer game. One question, is there any interaction between players?(Pushing for example)
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 01:10:09 AM »

Great job guys  Gentleman looks very nice for multiplayer game. One question, is there any interaction between players?(Pushing for example)

WTF That's a great idea! In the latest version players go right through each other ( i.e. like in Minecraft). Right now we're working on getting it ready for submission to Ouya though.  Gomez
Steven87
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 03:47:01 AM »

New version available! Game sessions no longer stop when other players join or leave. Download version 0.1.0.319 here: http://bit.ly/Xys7Wb

Gomez
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic