Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:03:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHammerwatch, beta/demo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hammerwatch, beta/demo  (Read 19355 times)
Hipshot
Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
« on: March 06, 2013, 03:22:07 AM »

Hammerwatch, has an beta/demo now, of act1

Download here, 30MB:
http://www.hammerwatch.com/builds/hammerwatch_beta.zip

I would love to hear some feedback about this! Difficulty, monsters, graphics, health, minimap, what's good, what's bad, issues, well everything. Only a few people have played the game so far.

Features:
    • Entire Act 1, with a boss, secrets, vendors, bonus level, money, vendors etc
    • Survival level, this is a prototype and not balanced and also very short
    • 3 of our 4 classes
    • Coop support for up to four players, local, Lan and online
    • Controller support

Missing:
      • The game above Act 1, it's like 75% of the game missing
      • The Warlock class
      • Editor
      • Much more

There's also some issues, probably more than I'm writing here, but anyway...

Sound, if you can't hear anything, you are probably missing OpenAL. There should be a message displayed when you start the game about it.
      OpenAL can be downloaded here: http://connect.creativelabs.com/openal/default.aspx

Found that some controllers can't assign all buttons in the game, this can be done manually in the config.cfg  file for now (360-controller seems to work fine, except for the analog triggers).

Some built in graphics cards have issues with not showing the minimap.

Netsu
      Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 03:28:38 AM »

Will there be a Linux version in the future? I'm having trouble with wine-mono so I'm still to try it  Hand Any Key

rakettraktor
      TIGBaby

View Profile
      « Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 03:26:39 PM »

Will there be a Linux version in the future? I'm having trouble with wine-mono so I'm still to try it  Hand Any Key
      second that but for Mac Smiley
      Sami
      Level 0

View Profile
      « Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 04:28:03 PM »

Really like the game, great job! Got some inspiration for my own pixelart Smiley

What bothers me so far, the unlockable doors look kinda weird, more like dirt and the paladin animations are little "simple". But that are only some minor things.

Online Multiplayer don't work for me and my friend.
      pluckyporcupine
      Level 9

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 05:11:11 PM »

Some feedback from my girlfriend and I playing. Just some minor stuff real quick.

What bothers me so far, the unlockable doors look kinda weird, more like dirt
      Glad we're not the only ones that think that. xD

- From time to time, death feels a bit sudden. Like you're doing well and then boom. So, in certain situations where there are a lot of flashy effects and sounds, it can be hard to tell you're getting hit really hard.

- In co-op, when you have two people to tear down the waves of enemies, we're not often finding a lot of use for the secondary skills, especially given how much mana they consume. And this is just with two people.

- A bit curious how the "Wizard" and "Warlock" classes are going to differ.

- The level design feels a bit...odd. Things that really stood out to me:
      • The actual layout of the level feels just a bit thrown together. There are parts where the wall is smooth on one side and then on the other side, the pieces that put it together stand out in squared groups. There are places where There are a bunch of empty holes in the wall that are spaced unevenly. Little things like that.
      • There are times when you fight a ton of harder enemies and get pretty much nothing for it. Maybe 3 mana crystals. Then there are times you fight relatively nothing (maybe even just a swarm of bats) and get a ton of mana crystals.
      • Everything seems a bit too "clustered." There's a group of enemies here. There's a group of enemies there. There's a group of enemies down the hall. There's a group of mana crystals across the way. It doesn't ever seem like there's a sparse amount here and there (other than apples). Just big groups together and, often, at junctions and/or crossroads.

- Since mana regenerates and health doesn't, it's a bit odd that there are so many mana crystals in proportion to how many apples and ankhs there are.

- I like the idea that you'll have to go up a level then come down another level to get to certain areas.

- The controls feel really natural.

- The two classes I've seen (Wizard and Ranger) have abilities that nicely complement each other (in regards to themselves, not other classes) and it feels natural to mix and match strategies.

And that's it so far.

Salamel
      TIGBaby

View Profile
      « Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 04:06:47 AM »

Is there a version for mac to test ? Blink (i'm far away from home)
      This game look great and i realy would like to participate at his developement !

thank
      toborprime
      Level 1

You're luggage - *blam*

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:29 AM »

Wow - there is a lot to like about this game so far...

The overall feel is very much like a cross between Gauntlet and the first Diablo - kudos!
      You guys nailed the mowing down streams of enemies faster than the enemy spawner can pump 'em out, a la Gauntlet.

The controls provide for some "smarter" gameplay than said titles; using the walls and environment to control the streams of enemies is good fun. Controls also allow for a more stick and move approach to the melee, which I enjoyed. Telegraphing enemies (maggots) is always a plus!

I like how the entire area feels like one big puzzle, with smaller puzzles peppered throughout.

I actually like the locked "doors", or color coded walls, requiring a key of a corresponding color.

Artwork is gorgeous and cohesive. The music has a nice progressive feel to it.

I played the game with the Paladin, and without infinite lives made it to the third floor. Also toyed around with the Wizard a bit. I enjoyed both classes.

Dislikes:

It was initially hard to tell what exactly I was picking up when items are obscured by walls more in the foreground, but getting used to the audio cues gradually changed that.

Slow going after you've covered a lot of ground - an item that allows you to fast travel between checkpoints, or some similar mechanic would be welcome.

Health is hard to come by when playing solo as the paladin.

All in all, awesome game so far. I look forward to trying it multiplayer. You guys definitely have my Steam Greenlight vote.

Thanks for the opportunity to play!

Myran
      Level 0

View Profile
      « Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »

What trouble are you having with mono? It should work on both mac and linux when using mono.
      Netsu
      Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 11:54:33 AM »

I'm having trouble with mono itself, not the game Smiley It didn't compile, haven't got the time to investigate yet.

pluckyporcupine
      Level 9

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 03:41:33 PM »

More feedback:

- Silver doors, especially ones that are oriented vertically, are really difficult to discern from walls.

- The secrets are great. I didn't even realize there were any for a while.

- Not readily apparent what the letters do, exactly.

- I keep having this nagging feeling there needs to be some form of saving mid-level.

- There needs to be a recovery timer. Too many times have I died during co-op because I'd resurrect right next to a spiky bug and it would kill me instantly or something similar. Especially as the mage at a low level. That makes it really, really difficult to play without infinite lives.

- It's the doors activated by button that look like they don't fit. Made up of several pillars instead of a solid wall.

EDIT: Even more feedback:

- Well, my girlfriend and I beat it finally. Using two crutches: Infinite Lives and Regenerating Health. Honestly, the Regenerating Health barely did anything. On the other hand, it would have taken us literal AGES to beat it without infinite lives. It took us 2 hours-ish WITH Infinite Lives, though there was a bit of backtracking.

- That was a really anticlimactic boss reveal and fight. It was a bit of an uninteresting boss in general, it didn't move, and most of its attacks weren't done by it. It was, at the same time, really really difficult because it felt more like you took every aspect of the previous 3 floors and threw them into one room with a new one, which did not make for a very good boss fight, in both of our opinions.

- Not a whole lot of enemy variation yet, I noticed. Started to wear on us a bit towards the end there.
      « Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:55:30 PM by johnki » Logged

mason
      Level 1

View Profile
      « Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 08:36:00 PM »

I got this error when my friend tried to connect to my game.

Code:
      ----- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION -----
      System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
      Parameter name: index
         at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
         at ARPGGame.GameBase.ClientDisconnected(Int32 peerId)
         at ARPGGame.GameBase.OnDisconnect(Int32 peerId)
         at TiltedEngine.Networking.Network.Update()
         at ARPGGame.GameBase.Update(Int32 ms)
         at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnUpdateFrame(FrameEventArgs e)
         at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseUpdateFrame(Stopwatch update_watch, Double& next_update, FrameEventArgs update_args)
         at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
         at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args)
      -----

Very cool game though. It's very polished, and I love the graphics.

Hipshot
      Level 2

GOTTA GO FAST!

View Profile
      « Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 01:48:04 PM »

I got this error when my friend tried to connect to my game.

Code:
      ----- UNHANDLED EXCEPTION -----
      System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
      Parameter name: index
         at System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException()
         at ARPGGame.GameBase.ClientDisconnected(Int32 peerId)
         at ARPGGame.GameBase.OnDisconnect(Int32 peerId)
         at TiltedEngine.Networking.Network.Update()
         at ARPGGame.GameBase.Update(Int32 ms)
         at ARPGGame.ARPGGame.OnUpdateFrame(FrameEventArgs e)
         at OpenTK.GameWindow.RaiseUpdateFrame(Stopwatch update_watch, Double& next_update, FrameEventArgs update_args)
         at OpenTK.GameWindow.Run(Double updates_per_second, Double frames_per_second)
         at ARPGGame.Program.Main(String[] args)
      -----

Very cool game though. It's very polished, and I love the graphics.

You need to stay in the lobby when you are connecting to each other. There's no drop in join in the game at the moment, might never be either. But, the game should of course not crash if you fail to join a game!

Boysano
      TIGBaby

Dev with Game Maker Studio HTML5

View Profile WWW
      « Reply #12 on: March 15, 2013, 09:22:51 AM »

Very exciting game, I love the graphics and videos...unfortunately I cant download it since it keeps stopping at 20mb, stupid slow internet  Screamy

Inspiring to see you make such a polished game for such a small team, motivates me to do the same.

Indie Game Dev for Win & HTML5 with GameMaker Studio.

See his epic rants at http://boysanoindiegaming.blogspot.com/
      dhenniga
      Level 0

View Profile
      « Reply #13 on: March 15, 2013, 04:51:23 PM »

Hipshot, that is a great game.  I've always loved Gauntlet but hated the constantly decreasing  health and I also love bullet-hell games so both boxes are nicely ticked in this game.  I would like to see more made of the secret areas (possibly leading to new sections that contain bosses and vast amounts of gold).  The pacing at which new monsters are introduced is good but I would like to have more single monsters (not a swarm)

A monster that is tough as nails to defeat but very slow so that it is almost constantly following you around the level.

Or a monster that runs from the side of the screen and if it makes contact with any player it steals some gold (like the thief in Gauntlet 2).  If it is hit before it makes contact it runs off-screen. 

Anyway, keep up the good work.
      TestTrek
      Level 0

View Profile
      « Reply #14 on: March 16, 2013, 06:34:48 PM »

Interesting Game. The bomb effects were a nice touch.

Ranger too good.

Grossmond
      Level 0

View Profile
      « Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 09:21:24 PM »

A few friends and I noticed that when we were playing Gold was 100% shared, as in when picked up and when spent, is this a feature that is set to stay or will it be changed up? 
      Pages: [1]
      Print
      Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic