Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:05:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesfemfreq tropes vs women is out
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: femfreq tropes vs women is out  (Read 10872 times)
feminazi
« on: March 07, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »

this thing is out now if u remember backing it or watever.

Damsel in Distress: Part 1 (23min)

tl;dw anita examines the most common gendered cliche "damsel in distress." it starts with what happened to starfox adventures development, then looks at dozens of old games where the trope is used as well as popular examples from mario and zelda series. part 2 is going to look at modern games and games that "flipped the script"

--

--

--

FAD(frequently askd dums)
wat is it???
it's a video

why is it abotu women???
idk. why are u writing essay on vanila icecream and not strawbery icecream???

why dont they leave my video gams alone???
cos video gams r dum

whys she whining???
cos free speech

whys da coments disabled??? anti free speech???
cos u whine a lot

i heard it a scam???
and i heard redditors are pedophiels

wats da point???
wats da point of a utube video, o idk. to watch it.

why u create this thread??? it sounds liek ur exploiting attention or something cos u kno its going to get people mad!!!!
now thats a fun idea

y u create a strawman faq!!!
for comedy. don't wory about it
poe
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »

Anita is so dis-likable as a person. She sidestepped around Samus in her nintendo character list too. Watching her video she sounds like she expects games to end sexism, which is just a silly idea in general, that said I'll be watching her videos as they come and and I'll keep an open mind. I disagree with her but I will listen.

Someone on reddit pointed out that the Krystal/Fox thing was more likely due to wanting to use an established franchise over some random characters.

Also if Samus is sexist my apologies, I've never played metroid but from what I hear you don't even realize that she's a girl until the end, you just think it's some absolute badass.

tl;dr you should think im dum
deathtotheweird
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 05:21:02 PM »

video is boring. she doesn't really say anything new, and most of the things she said have been said better by other people. she spends wayyy too much time repeating herself and others. makes me dread to watch future episodes, if this is any indication of the length and intellectual depth of these videos.

the extra credits ones are much better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqFm1ei6mjo

these videos are much more in-depth and relevant to modern games and trends, and at the same time offer constructive criticism rather than damning accusations.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 05:27:38 PM »

video is boring. she doesn't really say anything new, and most of the things she said have been said better by other people. she spends wayyy too much time repeating herself and others. makes me dread to watch future episodes, if this is any indication of the length and intellectual depth of these videos.
i dont think the videos are meant to be particularly "deep" lol. in the kickstarter vid i just watched she says sth about wanting to raise awareness of gender issues using examples from pop culture or sth like that (which ofc backfired because "gamers" chose to get their panties in a wad instead).

so yeah, it sounds like it's meant to be "entry level" more than anything, and taken as such it was p decently put together.
AshfordPride
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »

I think she really missed the mark when talking about Double Dragon.  If I do have to pick my biggest gripe, it'd be this.  The way that scene plays out is SUPPOSED to be jarring and absurd.  It's supposed to be silly to see something that we've otherwise moved beyond in gaming, an intro where a woman is punched in the gut and slung over someone's shoulder and carried off without a spoken word of dialogue or explanation.  Just, THEY TOOK YOUR GIRL.  Billy/Jimmy even sighs a 'not again' when they discover that she had been taken.  Double Dragon Neon is entirely ironic with nearly everything it does, and everything it presents is done in an entirely tongue in cheek manner.  You even fight at the end of the game to decide who gets to be the one she shacks up with.  In fact the whole reason she was stolen was so Skullmagedon could date her.

What bothers me is that none of this absurdity tips her off that it's not genuine.  I don't know how she says that games that use this trope aren't exactly bad games or used in bad ways, but then Double Dragon Neon is 'regressive crap'.  In fact I'm kind of bothered that she seems upset that Sonic CD and Double Dragon still seem to be relevant, that they're being re-released instead of put in this ring of shame for us to look back on and reflect.

Another thing.  Can people talk about SMB2 without mentioning how it used to be Doki Doki Panic?  I get Irate Gamer flashbacks.

I really liked the little montage of HELP MEs that she strung together, I felt that that was probably the most powerful bit to further the case she was trying to make.  She also kept the 'look at the camera and look like you can't believe how sexist this is' face to a minimum.

It's hard to say what to make of this without the part two.  As it stands, the trope mentioned is a relic that only pops up because it's become a tradition of the franchise that has lasted since it was more popularly used.
feminazi
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2013, 05:35:49 PM »

damning accusations.
oh no she looked at a video game and pointed out examples of the trope!! accusations!
feminazi
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2013, 05:39:23 PM »

as for double dragon, idk. every game might as well be ironic considering how dum they are
AshfordPride
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »

Yeah.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »

I thought overall it was a pretty good start, although I feel like more of the meat of the argument ended up in the planned talking points for video 2 (current examples and examples of games that reverse the trope [Beyond Good and Evil comes to mind]).  Anyway, it made its point pretty well and served as a good introduction into the topic, and it didn't seem as combative as you guy are saying.  Hopefully it'll go a bit more in depth in future episodes.

(PS. Someone should make "Damselball")
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 06:08:27 PM by Alec S. » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2013, 06:16:08 PM »

- Yo this is insensitive and sexist
- Okay i heard you, we keep the scene and made it ironic, fine?
- Huh? uh? dum!

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »

that's god hand

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
AshfordPride
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 06:27:04 PM »

- Yo this is insensitive and sexist
- Okay i heard you, we keep the scene and made it ironic, fine?
- Huh? uh? dum!

If you take irony from me, I'll have nothing left.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 06:41:05 PM »

It was mildly interesting, but didn't seem like anything all that special to me. She focused a lot on classic games and the sequels to and remakes of them. I'd like to have seen more about how/if things have changed since the 80s and 90s.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 06:46:51 PM »

Wait for the other part, that's the intro, it's only when all part are released that we will see if it's in depth. There she define and limit the tropes, show example and explain why it's a problem, then open to subversion and modern version.

People complaining about not seeing samus is missing the point, you don't see her because it is not a problem in the limitation of the subject. The complain will be valid once we past subversion (even if she is another tropes).

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 06:47:52 PM »

Do we really see this trope used often in modern games except for Nintendo series? Obviously a big part of why the "damsel-trope" was so overused is because it's simple and easy to convey. I guess it's just a retrospective look at games.

Dragonmaw
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 06:52:39 PM »

i don't really care much about this video but i stopped on a really good frame

feminazi
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 06:56:28 PM »

dum
Muz
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 07:13:27 PM »

Tbh, I don't like the damsel in distress trope. I hate rescuing women. They should get off their ass and rescue some guys for once.

But women absolutely love it. It's a standard in a large majority of romance. It symbolizes unconditional love.

So idk.
HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2013, 07:23:07 PM »

women liking it doesn't make it not sexist either

unconditional love is cruel love

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Uykered
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2013, 07:26:39 PM »

Stop watching that and watch this one instead: http://youtu.be/5JD6ejmlpa8?t=19s
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic