Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:25:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesfemfreq tropes vs women is out
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: femfreq tropes vs women is out  (Read 11286 times)
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2013, 06:10:38 AM »

women are physically weak and might makes right. i sincerely doubt this girl could beat me in hand to hand combat without cheat codes, and i'm supposed to care about her and princess toadstool out of some kind of egalitarian compassion? my tears are crying before the chewed up steak even drops to the table.
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2013, 06:12:50 AM »

I think this is relevant. You might not like this guy but whatever.

This was a big topic of discussion in Sweden a couple of weeks ago.

CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2013, 06:19:54 AM »

the only way i can imagine why anyone would think to bring up samus is because they interpreted the whole video to mean "nintendo games are sexist"

Well at least you are trying to think and imagine other possibilities instead of just declaring anything and everything that does not align to your world view as "dum".  It's a good start.  Keep it up and with some practice it's entirely possible you may develop an open mind instead of the shallow victim one you are presenting.  This entire video is a trope itself, "I don't like how things are so I'll complain about them instead of trying to do something about it, someone ELSE should fix it, I'm not able to fix it I can just send a message and try to get someone more capable to do so".  The video is a message for someone else to fix the problem, much like princess peach sending a message so someone ELSE to rescue her.  If you don't like the situation make and fund games that you do like instead of trying to make everyone else conform to your view.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2013, 06:21:30 AM »

I like how people miss the "part 1" in the title and the cliff hanger in the end of the video (hey what about subverting and modern era?) If samus must be mention it should be on the second part *maybe*

And at the end of the video series she review GOOD use and offer GOOD PRACTICE!

So judging an incomplete episode from an incomplete series is rather silly!

@Cowboydan
And attacking a women based on ethos rather than logos is another stupid tropes you just use now, and that's pretty stupid.

AshfordPride
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2013, 06:37:53 AM »

The Amazing Atheist

Please no.

Not around eva.

Please, just...

I'm so tired...
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2013, 06:46:52 AM »

Why would I not expect eva to find him to be dum.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2013, 06:53:44 AM »

The amazing atheist = I have no problem with the logos OKAY ATTACK ON ETHOS!!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2013, 07:06:45 AM »

re: the amazing atheist: http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2012/02/scratch-the-amazing-atheist-off-your-list-too/

here's a choice quote from the man himself if you're too lazy to read the article

“BTW, you have to admit, when I told you that I hope you drown in rape semen, you got a little wet, didn’t you? It’s okay. We’re friends now. You can share.”
mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »

I think he has a fair point in this case. I don't really care about him or his eternal feuds. It can just be that she wants to spare her kickstarter contributors endless internet flaming. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 07:39:13 AM by Mono » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2013, 07:57:23 AM »

It's OK to criticize a medium or parts of society without directly working within it yourself.
It doesn't seem immoral or strange from any point of view to me? idgi
What's the deal?

Besides, her kickstarter was about these videos and I'm pretty sure spending them on making a game instead would be some kind of fraud??

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2013, 08:07:29 AM »

I liked the video.

I thought it was pretty basic, but that's okay. I see it as an introduction to the series, as well as for those who were not familiar with the problem or video games in general. And believe me, stuff said in this video is news to many people, even game developers. I'm a member of some AAA-oriented communities, and the notion that maybe games could start being more mature and eschew old flawed tropes is still something heavily questioned there.

What I like the most about this video, is that it speaks about a difficult subject in an accessible and fairly non-confrontational way. I'm used to this debate being all "You ugly feminist cunt!" vs "You chauvinistic male pig!" with the original point lost between the insults, while her take on it is mostly analytical and not dismissive of the medium. It's also clear she did her homework.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:15:14 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »

Amazing Atheist is an utterly reprehensible human being that appeals soley to tryhard edgy teenagers.  But you all knew that already.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2013, 09:40:21 AM »

hello.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »

And believe me, stuff said in this video is news to many people, even game developers. I'm a member of some AAA-oriented communities and the notion that maybe games could be start being more mature and eschew old flawed tropes is still something heavily questioned there.
exactly my point

What I like the most about this video, is that it speaks about a difficult subject in an accessible and fairly non-confrontational way
yup. tbh i think some of the criticisms itt are pretty baseless ("she wants to force her views on others", "she wants videogames to end sexism" etc.) and seem to come more from ppl feeling uncomfortable about "feminist" shit being brought up at all than anything actually said in the video.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:40 AM »

There's another video I remember being posted on reddit awhile back:

I didn't watch the Amazing Atheist one but I assume it's just as bad as this one, which spends 99.9% of it's time attacking the messenger and not the message.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2013, 10:20:16 AM »

i sort of dont see whats wrong with damsels in distress

I mean, if the main character is male, who are they going to care about the most? Their romantic interest, obviously. It's poor writing but it's only as sexist as men liking women is sexist.

The problem isn't with the concept. It's with it's almost frightening over-use. I was a little shocked by the montage presented in the video. I knew this trope was a little tired, but I didn't realize how much.

And it hasn't gone away. Let's not forget the "Dom's Wife" storyline from Gears of War 2. It started off as an instance of Damsel-In-Distress and ended up as Ol' Yeller. Just brutal.

I was impressed that Anita intends to reference Elaine Marley in future episodes. Some people go directly to Samus Aran as an example of an empowered women in games. But Elaine is a much better example for numerous reasons. For starters, the games she features in are much more story-driven than any Metroid title. Moreover, Samus is never really involved in rescuing male characters, which distances here from the whole "Damsel" trope. Elaine's role in the Secret of Monkey Island is a textbook example of spoofing and even openly mocking the Damsel trope.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 10:29:12 AM »

You know what really speaks about the state of feminism in video games industry?

That a completely inoffensive video, that I watched to my morning coffee, where some gal speaks some obvious things about a common trope in video games, can be seen as actually controversial. And that there are people trying to discredit it by basically saying: "What can a woman know about mah vidyagames!"
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 10:56:24 AM by TeeGee » Logged

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Bandages
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 10:38:50 AM »

Dum
zalzane
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

isnt the amazing atheist the guy who stuffed a banana in his ass
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8