Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:26:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitions7DRL Challenge 2013 - 3/9-3/17
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: 7DRL Challenge 2013 - 3/9-3/17  (Read 6939 times)
jonbro
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 11:23:29 AM »

Here is mine.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2013, 11:47:27 AM »

Argh. I'm in a huge hurry, but I'm satisfied with the design and want to see it as a playable game. Better get cracking.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 12:01:40 PM »

here's mine

24killers

Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2013, 01:43:35 PM »

I just had a massive panic attack for about an hour when I discovered that every single turn the game was leaking a buttload of memory, so that by the time you got down to the lower levels everything ground to a halt.  It ultimately turned out that I wasn't disposing of the textures that I was creating for Bitmap fonts properly, which is a bit of a rookie mistake but in mitigation I was working in a rush and let the whole 'Java has Garbage Collection so I don't need to worry about memory management' thing go to my head.

@toipot: Thanks man!  Yeah, I've got a much simpler (and much better) combat system in place now.

For those who aren't following the 7DRL Blog with rapt attention; I had a bit of a change of heart and completely changed my game plan halfway through.  The game now looks like this:

Nearly finished, just a little more polishing to go...

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2013, 03:07:17 PM »

I think I am actually going to make it, even if it takes a breakdown or two.

Basically, it's about reading and implanting fragments of ideas in creatures' minds to craft spells that allow you to recalibrate the attunements of the cavern and summon the forbidden beast while subdividing the collective space of your egos into psychological defenses to keep valuable psyches from being broken by better telepaths. But I'm sure that much is obvious from the image.
Paul Jeffries
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 05:06:27 AM »

Success!

You can grab it here, if you are so inclined:
http://www.vitruality.com/2013/03/rogues-eye-7drl/

www.vitruality.com | SPARTAN - Small Pixel Art Animator and procedural tile generator
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 09:58:45 AM »

Here's mine (play online, no download required) http://slashware.net/rodney

I wanted to make a simple fun and accesible game this time; I think I at least did better than last years. Give it a go! Smiley

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2013, 10:13:18 AM »

Swift Swurd, a swashbuckling roguelike:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/29654821/swurd.zip

unusualcadence
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »

I had a go at this last week, and succeeded! Or at least it felt like I did. I think I've managed to remove all the showstopper bugs now, so behold The Caverns of Shrug! Play it in yer browser at www.unusualcadence.com

It's a sort of action-shooter variant on the roguelike, with the usual trappings wrapped in a real-time adventure duvet. Levels are randomly generated, you can level up your stats at spawn points and merchants, grab loot, kill wildlife, die to unfair traps, etc etc.

The goal is to get through 50 levels and retrieve the Power of Shrug, whatever that is. This is technically and functionally possible, but I haven't actually managed to do this yet. The balancing of XP growth, baddie growth and all that jazz was total 'best guess' terratory, so I guess I'll poke this a bit depending on if people play it, have fun, and want it to be funner!

That number to dial: www.unusualcadence.com
Enjoy!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic