Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:38:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessIMVGM: The International Movement of Video Game Marketing
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: IMVGM: The International Movement of Video Game Marketing  (Read 2237 times)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2013, 06:45:09 AM »

You're a marketing company asking for fundamental advice from strangers on how to present what your company does?

Giggle

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
G1ynn3
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2013, 09:02:01 AM »

Hey man, thanks for the question.
We're making sure the content and the tone of our offering fits with the world view of our target audience, indie developers Smiley
It's all good and well having a service which can help people, but if it's framed all wrong no one will know to care about it.

I like to think that if Mojang hadn't put their game in the hands of strangers, to help fine tune fundamental elements of game design, we wouldn't have got the Minecraft we have been blessed with.

I hope this helps.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2013, 09:10:56 AM »

It's all good and well having a service which can help people, but if it's framed all wrong no one will know to care about it.

This is pretty much the essence of marketing, and I just find it slightly amusing that you seem to be having difficulty doing it for your own company. Especially if you're a team of people with "knowledge, expertise and experience" in the field... Roll Eyes

Laserbrain Studios
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »

Whatever recalls attention is fine for a marketeer. Even if it makes no sense.  Hand Metal Left

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2013, 09:33:01 AM »

Tru dat. Grin

Laserbrain Studios
G1ynn3
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2013, 09:41:29 AM »

And this is why no marketing company self-markets.

A great parallel of this inability for one to self analyse can be seen in the literature world.
Now, I write a fair bit of poetry: glynnejohnowen.tumblr.com
& no matter how many times I read through it, there are always some hidden spelling mistakes or gramatical errors which stop it from being perfect.
Our minds can only pick out so much self-criticism.
So, I speak with my friend who just so happens to edit for a living & he tells me that he finds 3 mistakes which I couldn't see.
With neutral eyes, especially a stranger's eyes, we gain an open and honest insight.
There's no pre-existing relationship to bend or shape the honesty of the critique & thus the content becomes that much more complete Smiley
petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2013, 09:52:27 AM »

I assume Glynne that you are starting with the whole thing, and in addition to marketing your company you are gathering some info at the same time. One interesting thing to point out are past successful stories of games you have marketed.

At the same time I see that you have great skills on processing and explaining what the situation is, but you don't solve anything. You get where we are but can't tell us where should we go. This leads on not meeting expectations of the listener as you set the problem but don't solve it, and leads on frustration of the listener too.

My advice is that you should think of something to come up with after you have told us the thrilling indie gaming situation we're in. If you succeed in doing that, then you get the client!  Hand Money Left

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

And this is why no marketing company self-markets.

Bullshit.

Laserbrain Studios
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2013, 11:01:23 AM »

Well he kind of has a point. Therapists don't treat themselves. They go to other therapists.
G1ynn3
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »

What makes indie developers so unique is the fact we* have completely different motives for making games, we have completely different goals for our creative vision and we want different things for our companies.

For me and my team to build something based off the back of our own experiences in the industry was not enough.
The accumulative world view of the indie movement is so complex that we sent out a questionnaire to 25 fellow local indies, from which we received 10 completed questionnaires, who were all at different stages of business development.
Questions included "what keeps you up at night?" which was most commonly answered with money & the uncertainty of their games making any, having to seek additional work, mainly outsourcing was the 2nd highest response.

We learned that we had to build a framework which would be flexible and help remedy the common needs of indie developers, which could be completely customisable to the requirements of each specific task.

What we found, when we posed our tentative offering to them, was that they all saw and interpreted different things.
So, we decided the best thing to do was to crowd source a consensus on what the overview should highlight Smiley

*my company is an indie developer which has put its game on hold to help our brothers and sisters out in the industry by creating a new marketing infrastructure which is not exploitative, which does not miss inform, but, which is based on the values of honesty, respect, responsibility and caring (the core values of the YMCA camp association in USA, as that is where I learned that I wanted to make games for a living) if we can carry these values into our work then we will build a much stronger more open relationship with our audience & thus a more fertile, more vibrant industry.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »

Well he kind of has a point. Therapists don't treat themselves. They go to other therapists.

False analogy. When a therapist seeks out another therapist, his customers are out of the loop. When a marketing company needs to market itself, it's doing so to its potential customers.

Most marketing companies acquire new (big) customers by either approaching them with unsolicited ideas for campaigns or through competitive bidding. I've never heard of a marketing company using another marketing company for their own marketing or when approaching new potential customers. As a potential customer, why would I choose a marketing company that needs another company to do the exact thing they're trying to convince me they're good at?

But, please, if anybody can point to examples of marketing companies employing other marketing companies to brand and market themselves, I'm all ears...

Laserbrain Studios
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2013, 12:11:11 PM »

I didn't mean you didn't have a point too. I'm just saying perspective helps.

The idea falls into controlled perspective. Lawyers are represented by other lawyers so the client can focus on his duties and the representation on theirs.

Sometimes when 2 people have a problem in a group of friends or family someone from the outside of that relationship will help smooth communication. That person remains impartial.

I don't know what actual marketing companies do. I'm just thinking this through for whatever reason.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2013, 12:16:02 PM »

Sure, I understand where you're coming from with the analogy. I'm just saying it's not really applicable. A more valid analogy would be a therapist trying to get new customers by offering free sessions, but another therapist will provide these sessions.

Laserbrain Studios
G1ynn3
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

If you'd like to try our service, we are currently running trials with local indie developers based on a satisfaction guarantee*.
So, if our service fails to meet your expectations, we will not expect a penny.
Let me know what you think.
Why not even drop me a message over at [email protected]
And we can discuss the requirements of your project.

Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »

To me, the biggest problem an indie dev faces when launching a game is blog coverage. Do you guarantee quality blog coverage? If blogs trust you, you could make some sort of 'indie game label', you kind of pick up projects while the studios also pick up you, it's like a dance, then you put in your knowledge and your contacts and split revenues.

It's been a year since I launched my last game and I'm thinking and thinking about a new game but I never publish it...  Hand Any Key

petertos
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2013, 01:19:18 AM »

And I'd like to add more: Yesterday I was thinking about something, and it is the total eradication of the mainstream; this has been said by the guy who wrote the 'Long Tail' book available on Amazon, for instance; he published an article on wired circa 2004.

This affects video games, like video. I think there are going to be niches, there's not going to be such as AAA titles everybody knows. So the current state of chaos on gaming is going to get worse. As there are more and more games to choose, only good games will prevail, no matter if there is much blog coverage or not. Because everything is going to become viral, if it becomes. Whatdya think?

Besides, if you could provide some blog coverage for my games I would do this:

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2013, 09:09:46 AM »

Well the supermarket is still 30% junk food. I think marketing is slowly changing to accommodate quality. As the cliche says, indies who bitch about marketing usually make bad games.

Selling your wares will still always matter. Minecraft is more naturally viral than other games. That's because of its design. Not all games can be like that. Social features are hard to build.
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2013, 11:38:53 AM »

If you'd like to try our service, we are currently running trials with local indie developers based on a satisfaction guarantee*.
So, if our service fails to meet your expectations, we will not expect a penny.
Let me know what you think.
Why not even drop me a message over at [email protected]
And we can discuss the requirements of your project.

Can you please explain what the service is? You say you are running trials with local developers: can you provide examples of your work?

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic