Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 07:24:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1193449 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2013, 07:33:48 AM »

SOFTWARE FOR MAKING GIFS
GIFCAM
LICECAP

Just had this pointed out by Dacke for linux users.

also here is a guide on how to make gifs under linux, i use byzanz with the byzanz-record-screen script http://askubuntu.com/questions/107726/how-to-create-animated-gif-images-of-a-screencast/107735#107735

Have been seeing lots of great gif posts of games people are working on lately, so thought it would be great if there was a place to find them all.

I'll start this off with one I just made the other day for the game I'm trying to finish.

Also better thread title suggestions would also help, so feel free to suggest a new title
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:36:23 AM by C.A. Sinner » Logged

Rykuth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 09:17:04 AM »

I really like this idea. I love seeing these screencap gifs and I haven't seen any collection of them in one place. I can think of a few good examples that I've seen from other people, but it seems like bad form to repost other people's images. I do have one of my own that I can contribute.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 09:24:44 AM »

i'll post an old one's
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 06:25:30 AM »

I can think of a few good examples that I've seen from other people, but it seems like bad form to repost other people's images. I do have one of my own that I can contribute.
Nice Rykuth, I remember seeing yours awhile ago and liking it, so good to see it here.

Also can think of a few people who have posted some great gifs on these forums but don't want to repost other peoples work. Hopefully they'll find their way here.

i'll post an old one's
Softchange that looks great. Did you use your drawing program for the art? seem to remember seeing this, so not sure if it was to much before you started your program.

clockwrk_routine
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 09:08:18 AM »

thanks! it was before - it's actually part of the reason why I made the program.  my workflow was build and animate vector shapes in blender, export to spirtesheet, mask shapes, paint underneath.  kind of time consuming.  it might be ambitious but I would like the program to be everything I need to make 2d art and animation for games, with elements that allow for experimenting between them like this project.  I think currently there's only a few options for animating game assets, a lot of painting programs with no animation features, and no program that is specific for 2d assets for games. some come close but so much more can be done.  I would like to see more games using various methods and graphic styles.  I'm ranting, but I think this project was kind of the seed for this program.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »

It's from a previous Screenshot Saturday. I haven't recorded a more up-to-date one yet, but it's illustrative enough, and I already pressed the Post button, so there.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 04:27:52 AM »

thanks! it was before - it's actually part of the reason why I made the program.  my workflow was build and animate vector shapes in blender, export to spirtesheet, mask shapes, paint underneath.  kind of time consuming. 
Can definitely see what you mean. I have found the same thing when doing my own work. Always seem to end up using photoshop or flash to draw assets but each can be really time consuming. Even just trying your program the first time it seemed to work really well at creating animations at a fast pace.

It's from a previous Screenshot Saturday. I haven't recorded a more up-to-date one yet, but it's illustrative enough, and I already pressed the Post button, so there.
Nice sublinimal, liked it the first time I saw it posted and have been following your devlog for it. Interesting mechanic. Have wondered what the objects in the bottom half of the screen you drop into are. Looks like little guys with red pants and grey shirts?

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:37:37 AM »

Have wondered what the objects in the bottom half of the screen you drop into are. Looks like little guys with red pants and grey shirts?

T-they're obviously spears! Don't tease me.

Also, this thread needs a sexier name to draw more attention. I want this to be as successful as the mockups thread, since .gifs are always great.
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 04:45:43 AM »

Obviously teasing Grin looking forward to your next update on it.

And yeah completely agree about the name. I'm just horrible at names so am happy to hear suggestions from anyone cause I really do want to change it. Took me awhile to start this thread just cause I was worried about what to call it.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 04:55:55 AM »

I like the idea of this thread, here's mine (it's little old tho)

GaldorPunk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 06:07:33 AM »

Great thread idea, I love seeing all these game gifs.

(new version from one of my updates from last week)

edit: I felt I should add a gif showing some more gameplay-ish footage
« Last Edit: March 10, 2013, 06:39:11 AM by GaldorPunk » Logged

Empyrean Frontier (indie RTS)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 06:36:01 AM »

@GaldorPunk - that explosion is beautiful!

Here's a go-go club from my work in progress (it still needs a lot of work):

Sam
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 08:35:12 AM »

This is my simulation/building game, showing some of the water physics and the ability to "slice" the view so the player can see stuff that's otherwise hidden underground. If you make a flinging kind of gesture when dragging, you can get rid of that section of land on a longer term basis, and do building etc. on the exposed area.
There's also a horizontal slice, but that doesn't look at neat in a GIF.

My plan is to put up a devlog in the next day or two once I get vegetation working. Was hoping to have it done today, but ran into some problems with aquifers. It'll probably be called Strata.
Rabbo
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 03:54:10 PM »

@GaldorPunk - that explosion is beautiful!

Here's a go-go club from my work in progress (it still needs a lot of work):

I love it. Pretty loveable for a strip club. Not that strip clubs aren't loveable
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 03:56:34 PM »

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2013, 03:19:19 AM »

Poor kitties Concerned

thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 05:07:19 AM »

Posted this yesterday on my devlog.

Placeholder graphics, just showing some mechanics (well, interface is my work) :D

[only after I posted it I noticed that this is the art board and maybe I should post only when art on the gif is mine. Should I delete this post? Sleeping less than 4 hours/night confuses me]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 05:12:43 AM by thersus » Logged

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2013, 05:18:36 AM »

it's fine I think, gifs are art too  Grin

ForceDevice
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2013, 04:05:37 PM »

Yeah, I suck at making GIFs.

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 02:21:54 AM »

Yeah, I suck at making GIFs.

Use LICEcap. Someone recommended it in the Screenshot Saturday thread, it's an excellent piece of software. Does only what it needs and does it well (such as cropping layers on .gifs with few moving parts, resulting in small images). Should probably be linked in the OP too.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic