Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:14:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1197162 times)
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2580 on: September 01, 2014, 01:51:49 AM »

It's hard-coded with predefined swap axis, each containing the list of other corresponding items. No complicated wizardry here Wizard

}-=\\\',«º> Dev+artblog · Home on the web · @PolClarissou <º».\\\'=-{
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: September 01, 2014, 11:05:49 AM »

@SeanNoonan
Those particles Kiss

@ZackBell
Are you planning on leaving the squishy TF sprite scaling in the singleplayer mode?

As of now, that's the plan. Several people mentioned static player sprites and seemed pleased by the change(s). What are your thoughts?

I personally like the sprite scaling because it feels new and fresh  Tongue
Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: September 01, 2014, 11:22:09 AM »

It's hard-coded with predefined swap axis, each containing the list of other corresponding items. No complicated wizardry here Wizard

Wouldn't be all that hard to automatically identify from which angles two models look identical, though. Or maybe it would. I'm not great at geometry.
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2583 on: September 01, 2014, 03:00:17 PM »

Wouldn't be all that hard to automatically identify from which angles two models look identical, though. Or maybe it would. I'm not great at geometry.

Probs not really hard, but I'm not really into trying clever technical stuff when I already know how to deal with the situation the hard dumb way. I just want it to work basically :I

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: September 01, 2014, 04:27:00 PM »

For me it would only make sense to automate if you're dealing with an enormous or user-generated base of models.

Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: September 02, 2014, 05:05:49 AM »

Probs not really hard, but I'm not really into trying clever technical stuff when I already know how to deal with the situation the hard dumb way. I just want it to work basically :I

Don't be embarassed; there's absolutely nothing wrong with making an application only as complex as it needs to be.
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2586 on: September 02, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »

from the most recent kag patch, small builder defensive buff Smiley

oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2587 on: September 02, 2014, 08:28:34 AM »

@Pol - those 3d thingamabubs are awesome to look at, do you have a devlog? Must learn more!

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
Pol
Level 1

yee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2588 on: September 02, 2014, 09:51:14 AM »

Thanks ! My blog's here > http://polclarissou.tumblr.com/, I don't only post about this project but it's my main thing at the moment so most posts have been about it for the last month.
I should set up a tag specifically for this poject but I lack a title so I don't know what to tag the posts, heh.

Anyway I doesn't explain more really, just show more gifs... Maybe I'll make a real dev-oriented post oneday but actually there's not so much to know outside of what can already be guessed by the gifs. I haven't pushed the "gameplay" very far and the programming is very elementary and straightforward.

Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2589 on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:08 AM »

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2590 on: September 03, 2014, 08:47:14 AM »

Spelunky Guy and III getting smashed by some falling fish. I'm testing numerous items, this being one of the SSB-like Pokeball summons (obviously spamming it, this isn't how it would work in-game  Well, hello there!)

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: September 04, 2014, 08:45:02 AM »

First set of sprites for the rogue class in a tactics game I'm working on. A lot of work still left to do, some of the poses feels quite stiff. I probably should flip the whole sprite set horizontally to get a fresh look at it.

Also the squash and stretch looks a bit wonky. Any tips on how to avoid tearing and keep it as pixel perfect as possible? Or any tips in general how to make it look good? (Looking at Zack Bell Wink )

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2592 on: September 04, 2014, 08:49:16 AM »

Maybe, I'm wrong, but it looks like you're scaling the whole sprite up a bit? In my previous gifs, all I have been doing is choosing x or y and scaling that to 1.33, I scale the other DOWN to 0.66.

Every frame I move the values 0.05 towards 1 (or whatever normal is).

Blambo
« Reply #2593 on: September 04, 2014, 09:40:51 AM »

that seems super finnicky! you can't just make the scaling lerp back to 1 at every step?

edit: actually read the post lol
kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: September 04, 2014, 10:39:45 AM »

Maybe, I'm wrong, but it looks like you're scaling the whole sprite up a bit? In my previous gifs, all I have been doing is choosing x or y and scaling that to 1.33, I scale the other DOWN to 0.66.

Every frame I move the values 0.05 towards 1 (or whatever normal is).

That is correct! I accidentally messed up the values a bit when tweaking, it was supposed to shrink horizontally. However, on the weapons and head it feels better to just scale it up on both for some reason, so I left it that way for those parts.

I wouldn't have though you scale it that much by looking at your screens. When I try those values it looks pretty extreme. My values are tiny in comparison.

that seems super finnicky! you can't just make the scaling lerp back to 1 at every step?

Yeah, I use lerping (Actuate in Haxe), it's really easy to use and flexible. I always bring the sprite back to 1 so it's displayed correctly when it's not animating.

Here is a new test, a bit better I think. I also changed the lerping from "elastic" to "quad", that might have made it a bit less jittery.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2595 on: September 04, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »

That new test is much better, IMO.

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2596 on: September 04, 2014, 11:28:10 AM »

Good! Then I probably leave it like this for now. Thanks for your input!
TautNerve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2597 on: September 04, 2014, 11:32:46 AM »

Here is a new test, a bit better I think. I also changed the lerping from "elastic" to "quad", that might have made it a bit less jittery.

This looks really cool!
I also like the tiles, good job.

Let's tweet together:
@TautNerve
Play my games here:
Itch.io page
Cellusious
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2598 on: September 04, 2014, 11:38:03 AM »

yeah @kruxus that looks great

kruxus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2599 on: September 04, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »

Thanks a lot! Been working on this for awhile without much to show so that's really nice to hear.

The plan is to combine the above with this other test to offer the best customization of characters as possible. The example below uses 4 different "materials" (gradient ids) applied at random. The final game will probably need around 20 per character. I made a mistake when designing the system used above which made the contrast really inconsistent, but that can easily be fixed.

The problem is that it's hard to do good pixel art when you can't see what the final colours will look like, so I think I will put this on hold for a bit.

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic