Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:38:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1197175 times)
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3060 on: November 19, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »

That CRT effect is way too exagerated and in my experience doesn't really gimmick how real CRT TVs looked anyway. Simulating (even somewhat inaccurately) composite artifacts would be a much better idea probably (also pixels weren't really as sharp as people make them out to be).
rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 20, 2014, 09:25:46 AM »

looks really fun, but you might want to change the name since it sadly exists a game called

and those names are really, really, similar
Savick
« Reply #3062 on: November 20, 2014, 09:31:46 AM »

Rough walking animation of my protagonist for Dragonoir.
James Edward Smith
Level 2

Mover & Shaker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3063 on: November 20, 2014, 04:52:01 PM »

That CRT effect is way too exagerated and in my experience doesn't really gimmick how real CRT TVs looked anyway. Simulating (even somewhat inaccurately) composite artifacts would be a much better idea probably (also pixels weren't really as sharp as people make them out to be).

Well, one of the points of that filter is to make the pixels a little less sharp so I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by your in parenthesis comment. Do you mean they should be even less sharp? I agree completely that composite artifacts would make this a lot better though.

What about it do you find is too exaggerated though? I thought the bloom and the blur were both too instense back when that gif was made and have since toned those down a little along with some other things since.

looks really fun, but you might want to change the name since it sadly exists a game called

Screw them, damn it, I've been working on this game since 2011! It's my name! Tongue

Yeah I dunno, Pike & Shot is a pretty generic term for combat in that period so it was only a matter of time. There's tons of table top games that already have the name, probably part of why Mount & Blade called their expansion that depicts part of the period "With Fire & Sword".

I dunno, I'm a LITTLE worried about confusion between the two games, even though they are so different. But at the same time, I really like calling it Pike'n Shot to ape on Ghosts'n Goblins, the look and era of which I'm trying to aproximate (mid 80s arcade games). I might rename it "Condottieri", "The Tercio", "The Blue Company", "Free Lancers" "Fire'n Steel" or something like that though.

Pike `n Shot  the first pshmup ever made. Twitter:@JamesEdSmith
Sik
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3064 on: November 20, 2014, 06:15:23 PM »

Well, one of the points of that filter is to make the pixels a little less sharp so I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by your in parenthesis comment. Do you mean they should be even less sharp? I agree completely that composite artifacts would make this a lot better though.

They still look like they have hard edges to me, when on a CRT TV you outright can't tell where the edges are. I guess if you have a CRT PC monitor and are running at low resolution, but in those there are almost no artifacts for starters (I think maybe scanlines at low resolutions in early ones and nothing else, unless it was a composite monitor).

What about it do you find is too exaggerated though? I thought the bloom and the blur were both too instense back when that gif was made and have since toned those down a little along with some other things since.

OK yeah, the bloom was the worst part (I never saw any actual bloom on a CRT, though I did see a bit of persistence when there's a sudden brightness drop). Although I'll admit to have never seen scanlines on a CRT either (only with really dark colors they're noticeable, at least in the case of a TV).
vaaasm
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3065 on: November 20, 2014, 07:44:05 PM »

This is for RADON, a high-caliber stealth racing game I've been working on for the past couple of months. we're going to show it off at a gamedev exhibition at my school this Friday. Should be fun!

side note: I have the spritesheet for this animation saved as "deathsplosion.png"
i am in love with this colorful art style  Kiss

bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 20, 2014, 09:51:37 PM »

swang song was cool

having the character as a sprite that just insta rotates when you aim instead of shuffle around to properly move (e.g. mass effect or any other third-person game) makes it feel really nice

i like that wall tile a lot Smiley

rosholger
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: November 21, 2014, 08:00:36 AM »

Screw them, damn it, I've been working on this game since 2011! It's my name! Tongue

Yeah I dunno, Pike & Shot is a pretty generic term for combat in that period so it was only a matter of time. There's tons of table top games that already have the name, probably part of why Mount & Blade called their expansion that depicts part of the period "With Fire & Sword".

I dunno, I'm a LITTLE worried about confusion between the two games, even though they are so different. But at the same time, I really like calling it Pike'n Shot to ape on Ghosts'n Goblins, the look and era of which I'm trying to aproximate (mid 80s arcade games). I might rename it "Condottieri", "The Tercio", "The Blue Company", "Free Lancers" "Fire'n Steel" or something like that though.
I just wanted to inform you  Wink, i personally think Fire'n Steel sounds great! Coffee

EDIT: ofc its your game and you name it whatever you want!
sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3068 on: November 21, 2014, 09:17:27 AM »

i am in love with this colorful art style  Kiss

Thanks! We're going for a kind of arcadey 80's high-contrast color palette. Lots of oranges and purples. Glad you like it!

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3069 on: November 21, 2014, 10:33:41 PM »

#IndiesVsPewDiePie Jam. Theme is humor + fun-to-watch/fun-to-play.

Kyle O
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3070 on: November 22, 2014, 11:42:01 AM »

No idea where i was going with this.

my twitter. my itch.io page.
Pinqu!
Level 1

So it has come to this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3071 on: November 22, 2014, 01:30:16 PM »

shameless #screenshotsaturday crosspost

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3072 on: November 22, 2014, 02:00:17 PM »

looks cool but maybe try 100% less screen shake

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3073 on: November 22, 2014, 04:20:35 PM »

My game for the #indiesvspewdiepie game jam this weekend is turning out weird as expected:

Come see what I'm working on!

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 22, 2014, 06:55:12 PM »

I'm not gonna be able to finish this for the pewdiepie jam, spent too much time tweaking the flying. But at least it feels good now :p

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3075 on: November 22, 2014, 07:00:55 PM »

My #indiesvspewdiepie entry is basically done at this point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-E8z2ygZo&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhwdwT-NYL4&feature=youtu.be

Eendhoorn
Level 6

Quak

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: November 22, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »

I saw this in the activity feed, looks cool Smiley
So are you going to add stuff in the remaining day you have left?

Pinqu!
Level 1

So it has come to this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3077 on: November 23, 2014, 03:48:18 AM »

looks cool but maybe try 100% less screen shake
Thanks! The screenshake thing is a little overdone atm. If there were more enemies, it would become unplayable Tongue

sqrbt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: November 23, 2014, 04:30:49 AM »

All these #indiesvspewdiepie games are looking sweet!
I wish I had known about this jam earlier, would've liked to participate myself.

@Zack
Does the stuff always break in the same way?
Maybe some randomly chosen variations could make things a bit more unpredictable, & would add to the fun.

Pixelgent
Level 1

Pixels and Polygons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3079 on: November 23, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

Blagh, not at all happy with dashing yet but I'm working on it.

Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic