Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411471 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 10:34:51 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1205885 times)
DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4120 on: September 30, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »

Gettin' froggy in Roggle.

nicked
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4121 on: September 30, 2015, 09:01:12 AM »

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4122 on: September 30, 2015, 10:01:58 AM »

Enemies can now drop powerups in Cold Vengeance

Magurp244
« Reply #4123 on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »

@shellbot
You could try looking at Pyglet which has hardware accelleration, batch rendering vertex lists, multitexturing, etc. Along with maybe Numpy for a performance boost with array calculations.
Areku
Level 1

Well yeah.

View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: October 01, 2015, 09:43:48 AM »

The AA on the edge of the light and gradient on the back wall look really cool to me.
I tend to find rendering primitives really slow in python.

Heh. I'm afraid there's no big trick to what I'm doing with that. The triangle is just a call to gfxdraw.filled_trigon, followed by another to gfxdraw_aatrigon to smooth the outline.

Performance-wise, I actually got a reasonable boost by never actually using alpha values. Instead, I additively blit all light sources to a black surface, then multiplicatively blit it to the game screen. It quickly becomes inefficient at large resolutions, but since the gamescreen is scaled 4x and I have a *lot* of shading it, it still pays off.

Mult-blitting is nice for a scene where only a few spots are lighted, because I can simply "erase" the shadows around them. For a lighter game I'd use something else.
The circular light sources are pre-baked, too. I generate them with circles at startup then just blit the whole result onscreen afterwards.
owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4125 on: October 01, 2015, 10:57:07 AM »

Experimenting with water rendering styles...

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4126 on: October 01, 2015, 11:36:02 AM »

the polygons are beautiful but the blurring isn't

owendeery
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4127 on: October 01, 2015, 12:42:50 PM »

the polygons are beautiful but the blurring isn't

Oh damn, sorry to hear that. This one also has blur.

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4128 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »

I'm diggin' the blur, that looks rad.

shellbot
« Reply #4129 on: October 01, 2015, 06:08:31 PM »

The AA on the edge of the light and gradient on the back wall look really cool to me.
I tend to find rendering primitives really slow in python.

Heh. I'm afraid there's no big trick to what I'm doing with that. The triangle is just a call to gfxdraw.filled_trigon, followed by another to gfxdraw_aatrigon to smooth the outline.

Performance-wise, I actually got a reasonable boost by never actually using alpha values. Instead, I additively blit all light sources to a black surface, then multiplicatively blit it to the game screen. It quickly becomes inefficient at large resolutions, but since the gamescreen is scaled 4x and I have a *lot* of shading it, it still pays off.

Mult-blitting is nice for a scene where only a few spots are lighted, because I can simply "erase" the shadows around them. For a lighter game I'd use something else.
The circular light sources are pre-baked, too. I generate them with circles at startup then just blit the whole result onscreen afterwards.

Thanks for the follow up, I had just learned about the 'aa' functions in pygame so this was nice actually seeing them in use. Gave me a couple ideas too  Grin

@shellbot
You could try looking at Pyglet which has hardware accelleration, batch rendering vertex lists, multitexturing, etc. Along with maybe Numpy for a performance boost with array calculations.

I may do that in the future, but my current project is too far along to warrant an engine change right now. I'm not experiencing performance issues right now, but I foresee it being a problem later on.
dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4130 on: October 01, 2015, 07:39:21 PM »

Very early start to a puzzle game using some pseudo-3D stuff with OpenFL:

Cluster generation:

Come see what I'm working on!

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4131 on: October 02, 2015, 05:16:15 AM »

Cross post from devlog for a new feature I've been working on with time specific animations being revealed in other animations.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4132 on: October 02, 2015, 09:04:34 AM »

I added cheat codes to my game. This one in particular is my favorite.

Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4133 on: October 02, 2015, 02:46:22 PM »

Working on some AI ideas.

Schilcote
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: October 02, 2015, 03:51:44 PM »

You made that in Python!? Using Pygame?

This is made in Python using Pygame too. It's slightly more annoyance than it would be in C++ or similar to do advanced lighting and post-processing and other rendering crap, but it's far from impractical. You don't even really need the GPU unless you want modern 3D levels of prettiness, and at that point you might want to reconsider using Python. Tongue

If I remember right, everything but the base engine (which was Valve's Source engine, from Half-Life 2) of Vampire: The Masquerade was done in Python. It's really not slow, it's just not effortlessly fast.
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: October 03, 2015, 12:46:44 AM »

Working on some AI ideas.

Is that placing path nodes over time and checking simultaneously whether or not there's a direct path to the player (and deleting nodes if there is one?)? Is there A* running in the background?
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: October 03, 2015, 01:02:29 AM »

Looks like checking line of sight from enemy to player and path node(s?) to player simultaneously. Nodes are placed at the last seen position of the player. I like it, looks very clever.

What happens if you create node at a right corner, change direction and run back to the left corner? Is the last node deleted in case there exists a line of sight between the player and the previous last node (without a line of sight to the actual enemy)?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 01:10:48 AM by zorg » Logged
SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4137 on: October 03, 2015, 10:26:58 AM »

lobstersteve
« Reply #4138 on: October 03, 2015, 11:32:18 AM »

@SeanNoonan
great effects on the menu Smiley i really like when devs take care of their menus, makes the game an overall nicer package.
nicked
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4139 on: October 03, 2015, 12:24:01 PM »

Devlog:http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39508.0

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic