Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:04:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)GIFs of games being worked on
Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 297
Print
Author Topic: GIFs of games being worked on  (Read 1204818 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: October 11, 2015, 10:08:59 PM »

I very much like this simple look you have

Chip
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4161 on: October 12, 2015, 12:39:50 AM »

3 months and I still don't know what this is going to become

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4162 on: October 12, 2015, 01:27:44 AM »

Chip: It looks sorta like the "end" scene in Banjo Kazooie when the bikini girl serves them and Banjo is relaxing on the beach. At least I think. I've never played the game and only saw the final boss+last scenes YEARS ago. And Wind Waker of course.

Jimym: Thanks! Working on replicating a sort of Yoshi's Island style but also trying to not completely copy it. Wanting to make it look like it was drawn/sketched in crayon or color pencil. And each world the aesthetic changes a little bit to match a different art theme (Like Crayon, Water Painting, Acrylic, Pixels, etc.)

Pinqu!
Level 1

So it has come to this

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4163 on: October 12, 2015, 02:49:09 AM »

Here I've finally came up with an "alright" method for traversing abstract syntax trees non-recursively and this means a couple of things:
1. No more crashes due to stack overflow. As such, user code level stack overflow can now only occur if you literally run out of memory, which should usually take quite a while.
2. Since the approach taken allows to pause execution at any given moment, this can be made use of for debugging of some curious features, such as semi-asynchronous execution:

Here, each time the wait() function is called, script execution is paused for the given number of frames (the rest of the program continues working meanwhile), and later resumes with all local variables intact. While not ground-breaking, this allows some code to be written differently (and with less trouble) than it would usually be.

As an extra, JavaScript-like exception handling:

Okay, what are you doing with GML and GM and real time stuff here? Please explain from the start! Curious. Shocked

Parakeet 2?

http://parakeet-ide.org/

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4164 on: October 12, 2015, 06:09:58 AM »

More menus, this time leveling up! Pretty simple but it means all my exp / leveling stuff is also working. Also a slight menu recolor.

dustinaux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4165 on: October 12, 2015, 08:09:10 AM »

@AMT That's looking really great, nice snappy UI!

Come see what I'm working on!

YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4166 on: October 12, 2015, 01:01:26 PM »

Parakeet is cool too but won't magically grant you realtime code execution. Shown editor is just Notepad++ with custom highlighting. The game reloads the code when the file is changed.

Jesus YellowAfterlife, Halloween isn't for another few weeks and you're already looking like a wizard Wizard

Please explain more!
Okay, what are you doing with GML and GM and real time stuff here? Please explain from the start! Curious. Shocked
As you may know, GameMaker: Studio does not allow for dynamic code execution (moved from interpreter to bytecode\LLVM).
Additionally, since you currently can't quite get an address of a GML-defined variable\script, use of existing solutions (e.g. Lua) would be quite problematic.
So I've designed a scripting language that specifically makes use of GML and allows to expose the existing game code to the scripting layer quite easily.
It also bears some resemlance to the actual GML, covers a decent subset of language's features, and adds some new features on top (compile-time checks for variables, named function arguments, asynchronous execution...).
While not exceptionally fast at the moment, should be good enough for the purposes.

Extra: More messing around with wait() function.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: October 12, 2015, 02:46:18 PM »

You should be working at YoyoGames. For real though, that is super rad. I want that! How did you even put that inside of Game Maker!?

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: October 12, 2015, 04:10:21 PM »

Very cool, reminds me of ZGE Wink

All game creation tools should do / support this.
Rat Casket
Level 10

i can do what i want

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4169 on: October 12, 2015, 06:23:42 PM »

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #4170 on: October 12, 2015, 07:11:12 PM »

Is that sub zero and ermac?

EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4171 on: October 12, 2015, 09:00:45 PM »

More menus, this time leveling up! Pretty simple but it means all my exp / leveling stuff is also working. Also a slight menu recolor.

I love this except the stock Dawnlike tiles. I like to use them for mocking up roguelikes but I think your game would have more of its own identity without them.

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4172 on: October 13, 2015, 05:07:41 AM »

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4173 on: October 13, 2015, 07:58:51 AM »

I love this except the stock Dawnlike tiles. I like to use them for mocking up roguelikes but I think your game would have more of its own identity without them.

It's true that it would have much more of its own identity with original tiles, but I am not an artist. I'd rather have a finished, presentable game than a project that never gets off the ground because I'm stuck trying to art. Once the game is complete I might look into getting someone to do original art, but finishing the actual game takes priority.

I've made lots of good progress on the menu, here's a gif of it in its almost complete state:

Torchkas
Level 10

collects sawdust

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4174 on: October 14, 2015, 09:05:25 AM »

As you may know, GameMaker: Studio does not allow for dynamic code execution (moved from interpreter to bytecode\LLVM).
Additionally, since you currently can't quite get an address of a GML-defined variable\script, use of existing solutions (e.g. Lua) would be quite problematic.
So I've designed a scripting language that specifically makes use of GML and allows to expose the existing game code to the scripting layer quite easily.
It also bears some resemlance to the actual GML, covers a decent subset of language's features, and adds some new features on top (compile-time checks for variables, named function arguments, asynchronous execution...).
Don't forget to work on the game as well!

EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4175 on: October 14, 2015, 12:51:58 PM »

3 months and I still don't know what this is going to become

These colors are so tight! I want to chill here 4 days.

Here's a swordsmith

DangerMomentum
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4176 on: October 14, 2015, 02:59:23 PM »

The amount of movement on what I assume is the main character is kind of awkward. His clothes bounce every time while his hat kind of waves around like an elephant trunk or something. It's stressing me out, he looks like he just can't stop himself from moving. The blacksmith looks great, though.

EDIT: It looks like he's doing jumping jacks inside his cloak

EricSmack
Level 0

@DokoRokoGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4177 on: October 14, 2015, 10:04:01 PM »

Yeah, you're totally right. I think the problem might be the clothes and the hood being on different looping cycles. It was the first animation I did for the game. Think it's time for an update!

chriswearly
Level 3

prince slugcat

View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: October 14, 2015, 11:32:55 PM »

Here's a swordsmith

Uhhhh, oh, looks like the character from Heavier Than Air by compostface.

NicolaiGD
Level 0

Might be making games

View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: October 18, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »

Starting a devlog: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=50968.0

Pages: 1 ... 207 208 [209] 210 211 ... 297
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic