Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1056326 Posts in 42894 Topics- by 34847 Members - Latest Member: Monstro

October 23, 2014, 12:45:42 AM
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRichard Gariott back with kickstarter on ultima like game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Richard Gariott back with kickstarter on ultima like game  (Read 796 times)
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« on: March 08, 2013, 12:42:50 PM »

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/portalarium/shroud-of-the-avatar-forsaken-virtues-0
What's your opinion?

ILLOGICAL, random guy on internet, do not trust (lelebĉcülo dum borobürükiss)
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 01:19:45 PM »

graphics look very meh other than that ok. not hyped.

poe
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »

I can't tell, is this an MMO? They mention it's single player, then they talk about how buying real estate will be hard and it could be worth thousands on ebay.
ham and brie
Level 3

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

It's like the stereotype of a big Kickstarter project. Just seems really bland, but name power is enough to get attention.
C.A. Silbereisen
Schlagerstar
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 01:31:25 PM »

yeah i dont get the multiplayer aspect either. to me it looks like its a hybrid sp/mp thing like dark souls or sth.

poe
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

It's like the stereotype of a big Kickstarter project. Just seems really bland, but name power is enough to get attention.

Definitely, but whatever it isn't my money.

yeah i dont get the multiplayer aspect either. to me it looks like its a hybrid sp/mp thing like dark souls or sth.

Maybe, but it would be a pain in the ass if that's the case because then other players hinder the complete single player experience :/
crowe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 02:03:23 PM »

i played tabula rasa so i can't say i have much faith in richard garriott, but i guess he's got his fans and there's nothing actually offensive about the project, so i hope the supporters enjoy whatever they get
Kolba
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 02:22:54 PM »

Yeah, and that especially grates here. There are tons of projects which don't have that name power yet need the money so much more - this is a guy who can afford to spend $30 million on space tourism, yet presumably $1 million is too much to risk on his legacy? Here we get the measure of Gariott's passion and belief in his own pet project.  
SiENcE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 04:35:39 PM »

Why the hell not a nice and small Ultima 7 like game? 2D of couse Smiley. I don't like shit 3d graphics...better good 2d and please no MMO. We need a good story.

Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »

Yeah it's very confusing.

However year of roguelike (and AAA bow) officially finish, we enter the year of wrpg (and naval AAA)

Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 04:48:10 AM »

I understand that it's just a mockup for the video, but those graphics are bad.  Like, really, really bad.  A person using Unity and scrounging around one of the free art sites could probably throw together something that looks better.
Gimym JIMBERT
Level 10

NOTGAMER ludophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2013, 06:23:03 AM »

It's ultima but 3D, grid based and all, the guy hasn't made a game in 30 years it's the natural next jump for him!

from RPS
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/03/08/revealed-richard-garriotts-massive-ultima-successor/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+RockPaperShotgun+%28Rock%2C+Paper%2C+Shotgun%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
“Ultima 1-9 games were all single-player,” he points out. “Ultima Online and its various iterations have all been massively multiplayer. But I actually think there’s a great opportunity for a game that’s neither one of those. Shroud of the Avatar is a game that first and foremost can be played both offline and online, so it’s a very high-quality story-driven single-player game. That being said, if you are online, it will also search for people you know, by whatever means it can, whether you give us access to your contacts list or your social media connections. We’ll search for people you know and automatically bring them into the purview of your game.”

“You will literally be able to see them walking around in the world with you. You don’t have to party. You don’t have to group. It just happens automatically. So it’s not exactly massively multiplayer. We’re not going to bother putting 10,000 people you don’t know on screen in front of you. But if we can’t find anybody you do know, we will put some people you don’t know on screen in front of you, so the world feels rich and full. But it’s in this interesting line. It’s not, strictly speaking, single-player, but definitely not massively multiplayer.”

Basically a facebook game but hardcore
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 06:54:19 AM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2013, 09:23:41 AM »

Richard Garriott is back! Well, not really back, he just won't leave
siskavard
Level 10

FUTUREBEARD

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2013, 07:56:08 PM »

As an Ultima player most of my adolescent youth, I fully support this. BACKED

Pages: [1]