Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:39:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMAZE (puzzles, death and exploration)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: MAZE (puzzles, death and exploration)  (Read 41821 times)
acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2014, 08:01:07 AM »

Don't know about MAZE's gameplay, but from this new screenshot, I see old school Zelda a little; but the aesthetic, the mood, seems very Below (though zoomed in closer):

Although it could be argued that Below has a fair amount of Zelda DNA...

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2014, 10:14:13 PM »

Don't know about Below's gameplay, guys, but MAZE is not like Zelda, it's pure puzzles.  Shrug

mpolney
« Reply #162 on: October 22, 2014, 06:47:16 PM »

Your art is really cool and I think it's a lot more cohesive than it was previously. However, the criticism from others that it's hard to read the geometry still applies. For example, in the last image you posted it's hard to tell which platforms are on the same level. It can also be easy to confuse walls and floors. For example, look at the bit where the gizmo pops out of the floor in the top-right (circled):

It can easily look like the circled bit is a wall, possibly because the floor tiles immediately next to it are hidden. Parallel projections like this are highly ambiguous, so you need to figure out what the eye is most likely to "assume". For example, the same or similar tile appearing adjacently on screen will tend to be seen as a flat surface. In the absence of more information, a darker tile might be seen as a wall. Etc. I faced some similar problems in Incriminator, as it is drawn in more-or-less the same projection, though it was easier for me because the stages are fairly flat.

One thing to bare in mind is that if things are not anchored together it immediately starts to look ambiguous. Consider the following screens from Komeiji Satori no Jousou Kyouiku:

One
Two

In the first shot you can see a little ambiguity in the heights of the various platforms, whereas in the second there is no confusion (at least, not to my eye). If the platforms in the first shot had been connected I think it would have conveyed the intended heights more effectively.

Finally, a question: do you have any specific influences, puzzle-wise?
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: October 30, 2014, 03:25:33 AM »

Your art is really cool and I think it's a lot more cohesive than it was previously. However, the criticism from others that it's hard to read the geometry still applies.
Agreed with you and thanks for feedback. But, I decided that will handle this problem when I will be sure that the current versions of maps and puzzles are final.

Finally, a question: do you have any specific influences, puzzle-wise?
Yeah, a lot of them. "Final Oddysey" and "Stone Edge" from Amiga, sokoban games, puzzles from "Legend of Zelda", Mole Mania from GB, Quack Shot from Sega MD, Goof Troop from SNES and a few more games, now it's too hard to remember all influences.

Lux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: October 30, 2014, 04:48:04 AM »

I've been admiring this art for so long now. Is this game still being developed?  Beg

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: October 30, 2014, 11:39:02 PM »

I've been admiring this art for so long now. Is this game still being developed?  Beg

Very pleased to read it. Smiley Yes, I resumed development of this game recently. And we are make a demo version now.

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: December 24, 2014, 01:35:38 AM »

However, the criticism from others that it's hard to read the geometry still applies. For example, in the last image you posted it's hard to tell which platforms are on the same level. It can also be easy to confuse walls and floors.

IANAArtist but I think that one problem with this is because there's not enough color/brightness distinction between walls and floor/roofs. Also the shadows do not correspond with the height of the wall. For example the buildings are much taller than anything else and yet, their shadow is so small. And some walls and boxes don't have shadows at all. There are even some shadows that look totally arbitrary (like the shadow of the fork-door-like-thing on the left).

CandyFace
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 22, 2015, 03:37:11 AM »

MAZE looks absolutely gorgeous, i love the artstyle, both your character art and gameplay.
Just noticed it from the GIF thread, please do post more of it, because your game looks great, especially in motion Wink
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 26, 2015, 11:11:03 AM »

MAZE looks absolutely gorgeous, i love the artstyle, both your character art and gameplay.
Just noticed it from the GIF thread, please do post more of it, because your game looks great, especially in motion Wink

Thanks! New & more stuff coming soon c:

Like this trees, grass, clouds that now are animated:

This world is filled with life!

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2015, 04:14:06 AM »

08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW