Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:13:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsroguelike platformer [7DRL]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: roguelike platformer [7DRL]  (Read 1849 times)
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2013, 08:18:44 PM »

Ok, trying this.. let's see what happens.

I'm going to make a game for the 7DRL compo this coming week (3/9-3/17).  I will probably not be working on in the entire week because of sleep, eating, exercise, an MRI scan, and probably some final touches on Daedalus Cube.

I might have some art help on this, although this is not entirely yet confirmed. I guess as a fallback I'll either find or make up some placeholder pixel art.

Not sure what I'll do with this after the week is done. I'll try to do the whole thing within the week. We'll see what happens.

Here's what I do know about it right now (all very conceptual at this point):

- it is a roguelike game. in the strict sense of the word, according to wikipedia this means:
 - randomly generated levels
 - permadeath
 - turn-based movement
 - bubbly potions
 - takes place in some kind of dungeon with monsters and stuff
 - dynamic lighting / visibility, presumably using some kind of raycast algorithm

- it is a side-scrolling platformer.
 - D-pad moves around a character that you control - left, right, maybe look up and crouch too.
 - there's a jump button
 - there's a button to attack things
 - there might be another button to use an item that you have
 - real-time movement

- also:
 - there's stuff to collect - piles of gold, treasure, trinkets, etc

that's all i can think of for now. i'll post more as i get into actually making it.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 02:18:46 PM by TomHunt » Logged

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 05:39:43 AM »

I think the Berlin Interpretation is the standard to which roguelikes are held. 

good luck
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 05:54:28 AM »

Thanks for that. I think we can do just about all of those, except for the turn-based thing and the ASCII graphics.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 02:18:37 PM »

What am I looking at?

The results of a test created for the purpose of informing and driving development of a tileset generation system.

Using a tileset consisting of 15 base tiles, a set of 256 macro-tiles (some redundant) are constructed by forming a bitfield from the occupancy status of the 8 adjacent tiles. These are then scaled to the base tile set for use in the game.

Each group is formed from a 3x3 array of ints. The center value (1,1) is meant to be the actual test case. Cells that are out-of-bounds are automatically treated as solid.

It's f*$#ing Thursday! Why did this take so long!?
At first I was going to write a more elaborate platformer system where you could jump up through certain platforms, etc, but since we have to create all the assets used for this this week, matwek had to draw up all new tiles, and these lent themselves more to a basic bounding-box-style collision system. So, on the plus side, there's less to do since there isn't this custom sprite physics to deal with, but I still wasted a good day or so working on this code that we're not going to use.

I've also been dealing with and seeing doctors about something going on with my lumbar spine that is causing something called radiculopathy in my right leg, which really fucking hurts like a toothache going all the way down the leg, especially when I am sitting or standing for extended periods of time.  Not trying to make excuses here, but constant nerve pain is a little distracting. I'm able to relieve the pain for a bit through an elaborate 1 hour stretch routine that I do, and sitting cross legged in a padded chair with a cushion supporting my back seems to help.

Aside from that, the usual debugging issues that come about when writing procedural content generators.

Anyway, this bit is now pretty much done. Time to get a basic room generator up (easy enough, right? Smiley ), and get a little character running and jumping around. Also, I will need to draw the character animations, so they will probably be pretty basic and hopefully not too programmer-art-y.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic