Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1059232 Posts in 43058 Topics- by 35014 Members - Latest Member: dawn.coble2014

October 31, 2014, 03:24:43 AM
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperCreativeGerman expressionist film style
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: German expressionist film style  (Read 2104 times)
KingKyuss
Level 0

You're not alone.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2013, 02:23:22 AM »

During the silent film era, where Germany was at the forefront of Cinema with classics such as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Nosferatu, Metropolis, The Golem and many many more there was a certain artistic style to each of them that was often deeply creepy and unnerving. Has anyone experimented with this sort of style within their own games? I'd also love to hear people's personal views on the topic as well, especially from any artists that we have here.
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:13:20 AM »

You mean like how they forced perspective and did the ol' 'Paint the stage forcing lines and light,' since it is really just a play shot with a camera.

And the telescope circle black outside, image inside thing??  Like the camera's view type thing.  A method of framing.

Some modern attempts at it in film I can think of is Guy Madden's films.  Not a huge fan but he does implement quite a bit of the sensibilities.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
richardjdare
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:32 AM »

I'd love to see games in this style. I have been dreaming of a game influenced by German expressionist painting, (artists like Franz Marc, Ernst Ludwig Kirchner, Max Beckmann)  for about 10 or 15 years now. I've been meaning for years to sit down and start doing the necessary shader experiments.

As an aside, I think that early film is a great resource for a game designer looking to find ways of evoking emotions and ideas with limited means. When I saw The Passion of Joan of Arc, from 1928 I was blown away by just how much meaning the director could evoke using relatively simple shots (simple from our point of view, that is. It was an innovative film in its day)

Just released Antigen (http://antigengame.com) for iPhone and iPod Touch
KingKyuss
Level 0

You're not alone.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 02:19:42 AM »

What I meant was the artistic styling of these films rather than the technology had formed at that time, although that was a part of the limitation that forced these film makers and their actors to use expression and exaggeration (this applies to both actors and stage "architecture") of it to express what was going on within the film instead of having a load of text slides that write out what is going on, on screen.

I haven't really had much interest in German expressionist painting, but I can see what you mean. I could really see a game set in the world of a Kirchner painting. It would be great to see.

I would, if I may, like to show everyone a few stills from Fritz Lang's Metropolis film, just to soak in and maybe understand what I mean:

The idea behind Fritz Lang's film is that there are hugely rich people who are largely oblivious to the suffering and hard working of the lower classes that keep their city running.

I am trying to find some stills from Der Golem (1920) to show off the village and its twisted village architecture, but it's harder than I thought... But if you are interested it is available under public domain over at the Internet Archive.
Panurge
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 02:46:24 AM »

Der Golem is wonderful and Murnau's Faust has a similar feel. Please somebody make a game  with this sort of aesthetic! If I had the artistic nous, I'd be all over it.

mono
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:18:28 AM »

I have been thinking about how I would want to see a game in this style a lot. Would be amazing for a horror game.

KingKyuss
Level 0

You're not alone.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 01:17:15 PM »

I have been thinking about how I would want to see a game in this style a lot. Would be amazing for a horror game.

I was thinking along the same lines myself. I would think that a horror/adventure game would really thrive within this kind of environment, being quirky and twisted it would really add something unique to a game.
Rahrahrah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2013, 09:11:18 AM »

I think if you wind up in a fantastical world, and not an imposing one you would just wind up with a Tim Burton vision.  Most of these images are bleak, stark, and isolating.

A thought however.  Is not using color a requirement??  I know its just because of the equipment these artist had at their disposal, but if there was color does it mean that it would all be orange and purple stripes. 

Regardless, after work I popped on the Netflix to watch some Battlestar Galactica and noticed that Metropolis and The Cabinet of Dr. Calagari are both on Netflix instant.
More than likely I'm watching them both again.. hehehehehe.

I also can't help but constantly see images of Blade Runner in those Metropolis images.  And tangents again, there is color.  Very dulled, but there is color.

Trying more and more to relate less and less to Sisyphus.
peanutbuttershoes
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2013, 09:48:59 AM »

There's a few games that I think almost (almost) fit the bill here.
Not because they're monochromatic, but because of the subject of the game, overall feeling, set pieces, etc...

Memory of a Broken Dimension

The Amazing Flying Bros.

And in some ways, Limbo

There are a few more that are more colorful that I think were obviously inspired or influenced by Fritz Lang and other german expressionists (either directly or indirectly)

Bioshock, Psychonauts, Noctropolis... more that I can't think of.

None of these are very good representation of what a German Expressionistic VIDYO GAEM would be. But they're pretty close to the same neighborhood.

wat a hell

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2013, 12:50:09 PM »

I did some concept art for a game influence by german expressionism, but it wasn't used.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2013, 01:31:06 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik3qg3k7oPs

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic