Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 04:25:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWould you work with guy who don't want to talk via Skype calls? and...
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Would you work with guy who don't want to talk via Skype calls? and...  (Read 3070 times)
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 09, 2013, 10:00:53 AM »

Abstract question - would you work with guy who don't want to talk via Skype calls (he can chat with you), doesn't tell anything about him, but have GREAT SKILLS?

Will you do an exception for the silent man? Or for a talented but very shy autistic?

PS: Maybe I'm wrong with board, in this case, advise the right.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 10:21:56 AM »

Sure, just don't pay him everything up-front! In fact, payment on delivery only seems like a compromise he'll have to make if he wants to work like that.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 10:45:29 AM »

Depends on what the skills are in. If he's an amazing programmer, then probably. Will he still chat over email? But I don't think it would work beyond one or two projects.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2013, 10:55:40 AM »

Sure, just don't pay him everything up-front! In fact, payment on delivery only seems like a compromise he'll have to make if he wants to work like that.

Agreed =)

Depends on what the skills are in. If he's an amazing programmer, then probably. Will he still chat over email? But I don't think it would work beyond one or two projects.

Oh and if he's an amazing artist? You can chat as you prefer - skype, miranda, e-mail, PM on tigsource, but without a voice!

SterlingDee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2013, 11:47:24 AM »

well, I guess I value super amazing programmers more than artists.

Well, he's just nervous about his voice/being socially awkward (or poor english maybe?) ...I guess instant messaging is pretty close to voice chat.

Motion Logic Studios
2D & 3D Art - AAA Experience, Indie-Friendly Prices
Feel free to email me or connect with me on twitter!
lolo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 02:11:06 PM »

I definitely wouldn't because of the way I work but if your tasks are well defined and you are organized, sure and like the others said, with post payment and a serious contract (ownership mainly).

McDROID he had a farm ee-eye, ee-eye-oh.
Moczan
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2013, 03:10:58 AM »

I think it's reasonable, English is not my native language and I also prefer the text chat over voice calls. There are also benefits of chat/e-mail i.e. everything you say is already recorded without having to take notes after each conversation.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 04:58:47 AM »

and you have time to think through everything you say

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2013, 05:06:51 AM »

I have a friend that I worked with for a while once. We were good friends, met at school. He didn't like the phone. We used to hang out all the time. We were comfortable together but he didn't like the phone.

That was tough. Communicating emotions is hard through text. Now I have the skill but then I didn't. I really would have preferred the phone. Ugh. But the chips fall where they do. We also were making product decisions collaboratively, so that was harder - very different from one person being in charge.

It is a bad idea not to chat (on skype etc), but, some people are nervous otherwise - I know I can be. So work your way up to it. Anything can be done in text, but voice helps a _ton_, even if you only do it sometimes and text the rest. You can't tell anything about his skill from his request alone. You have to see his work. Also, play to your own strengths. Text is a skill. You can learn it.

The skill is also a good one to have in general.
clockwrk_routine
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2013, 05:45:59 AM »

I have trouble speaking, skype calls make me nervous, and if I'm in the middle of working, having someone on the line is like having a boss behind my back.  i pick my nose, scratch my butt.  we chat though.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2013, 06:36:46 AM »

Not wanting to Skype and such wasn't the main issue for me. This part was:

Abstract question - would you work with guy who don't want to talk via Skype calls (he can chat with you), doesn't tell anything about him, but have GREAT SKILLS?

I assumed that meant he wants to remain anonymous? That's why I suggested only paying after delivery. But if you know who the guy is, then only wanting to chat isn't that big a deal and shouldn't really influence payment too much.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 06:45:40 AM »

Oh yeah, I misread that part. Pay after delivery. That should be obvious.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 08:16:27 AM »

i wouldn't even mind working with a person who insists on communication only through morse code, but they would have to be *significantly* better than the alternatives

i mean, let's say you have two artists. both are equally good. one insists on communicating only through morse code, the other doesn't. i'd go with the one who doesn't. but if the one who wants to use morse code is a 10x better artist i'd go with that person and bear through learning morse code

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 08:34:05 AM »

I've found that you learn a lot communicating through text. I've used a lot of tracking software for projects. I've worked on one major one in which I had to use it as the main form of communication. Learning to express your ideas in writing is healthy.

Think of the pitch thread on these forums. People try to condense their ideas into a sentence. That activity forces you to understand what is really important about your game, what is _really_ important. Communicating with others through email does the same thing, but you know with a partner.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »

I personally prefer to communicate over emails, that is what I suggest my artists and composers. My experience has been that when I chat many things will not be paid enough care since people have a tendency to lower their attention when quantities of talk are going on.

When you write an email you have more time to think out properly what you want to say. And the receiver will pay more attention reading it. And even then it goes on my nerves when at times my partners do ignore some specs I have explicitly explained.

As of now email is a more efficient way to communicate for me.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
FatBasic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 01:51:52 AM »

It would depend on his skills.
If I had to use unnecessary time explaining stuff over chatting, than I would have used if I could talk with him over Skype, I would reconsider if the time is worth it.

hanako
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:46 PM »

I cannot people. People are stressful. Writing emails is sufficiently difficult social interaction to be stressful a lot of the time. So certainly when I'm hiring folks, if they want to insist on skype communications that's a problem for me.

Many people offer and it's very nice of them to give me their contact info, I appreciate it. I'm still not going to use it, like, ever, unless they stop replying to emails and I need to hunt them down.

(I also dislike text chat programs because they seem to attract people who want to bug me constantly about stuff that does not need an instant response, or just because they want to chat. Don't message me if it's not urgent!)

... Yes, I'm ridiculously anti-social. Ninja
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 10:06:20 PM »

If we're doing the rev share thing, and it's like more than a small project that both of us are really vesting in, I might take skype-averseness as a red flag. I can see where you're coming from there.

Most of the time when I'm working with someone, I'm fine with just e-mail, but that's just me. The skype thing doesn't usually come up and we just swap files over e-mail or dropbox or whatever.

I'm also totally fine with Skype - if it's work-related. I've had people bug me about skypeing before just for idle chit chat - no projects, nothing - and I find that kind of annoying.

Professional stuff - I'd say it's a reasonable thing to do, but that's just me.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
wccrawford
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 03:18:22 AM »

I've ignored a lot of chances for collaboration because they insisted on Skype voice chatting.  I'm a native English speaker and I speak quite well.  I'm not nervous on the phone.

So why do I refuse?  Because most people are horrible communicators and a phone call with them takes 10x as long as it should.  I understand that it's easier to explain something by voice than text, but they insist on adding a bunch of polite smalltalk and then it's hard to close the call, and ugh.  Forget it.  If they can't explain in text, where I can read it at my own pace, on my own time, I won't bother.

In a business setting, I'd be charging them by the hour for that call, so they can waste all their money that they want.  At least I got something for my trouble.  But in collaborations, there's no such reward for me.
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 03:50:06 AM »

Lately I was hiring an artist for a small job and every time I wrote to him anything on Skype he was instantly calling me, it was really awkward especially because half of the time he was talking with his girlfriend, he couldn't simply reply to most basic questions.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic