Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:07:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWould you work with guy who don't want to talk via Skype calls? and...
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Would you work with guy who don't want to talk via Skype calls? and...  (Read 3050 times)
HernanZh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2013, 04:04:37 AM »

Could it be...that you're talking about yourself? Wink
I think as long as the communication is frequent and detailed enough, I think that's sufficient wouldnt it?

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2013, 07:49:49 AM »

It depends on what you're talking about - I usually prefer chatting via text for smaller matters and calling for things that need to be discussed in detail. Sometimes I don't even need to talk to the artist in person. But, if I did and they didn't want to talk by phone, that would be a deal-breaker. If you want to be shady like that, then I wouldn't trust you with the art or especially programming.

SF
Level 0

Game Builder Club and 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2013, 12:20:56 PM »

He might have a medical reason for not wanting to Skype (which I can empathize with).

I say look for an ulterior motive. If you can't find one, and it's not making communication significantly more difficult, then it's a non-issue.

It's a bad day to be travelling, but it's a great day to drink it!
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2013, 03:16:45 PM »

Personally I'm hearing handicapped, so I'd far rather interact with fellow team members through text chat, email or in person as appropriate.  Skype would be pretty blood-pressure-raising to try to track someone talking.

Moot point for me since I'm not looking for a game dev team but I think the thing to keep in mind is, everyone has their preferred working style.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2013, 04:06:25 PM »

If you can only interact through skype, that means you're probably a dumb person and I wouldn't want to work with you

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2013, 04:21:59 PM »

As the advices around here are very varied (and I think a lot of very introverted people don't like phones and skype), the best way would be to try it anyway, see how it goes and make future decisions on your experience. If it's a project that is too critical to accept tries, then you have your answer.

cliffski
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2013, 05:55:02 AM »

I've worked with some contractors for a decade, paid them thousands of dollars, worked over many different games, and I've never spoken to any of them ever.

www.positech.co.uk Maker of Democracy Kudos and Gratuitous Space Battles for the PC. owner of showmethegames.com.
tnr
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2013, 06:55:47 PM »

I prefer to communicate almost entirely over text based methods. I use email just for general communication, but whenever I want to have an actual discussion with people I like to set up an irc channel and a time that I can be communicated with. I actually communicate over irc chat near constantly - I spend about 12 hours in chat rooms a day, if not necessarily talking. It's literally the easiest manner to get into contact with me.

I have a bit of an aversion to communicating with phone calls, for instance, because I can't really communicate on the phone effectively. It seems that if I want to communicate with sound, I also need the visuals. I'm also not always available on Skype, because I have a dialup connection at home. That's why irc is the most reliable manner to contact me, although it does help that I'm usually connected to a chat channel anyways.

I would work with a guy who didn't want to take Skype calls, because I'm one of the guys who probably would not want to communicate via Skype. I get it.

It also doesn't help that my microphone makes me sound like some sort of monotone deep-voiced robot.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic