Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 04:12:48 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMatwek's Collection
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Matwek's Collection  (Read 2476 times)
matwek
« on: March 10, 2013, 06:59:17 PM »

I have a few Dev Logs on this site but I never bother to keep them updated as ideas and concepts often merge into each other making topics confusing or I just end up repeating myself in different topics.
So what I’ve decided to do is put all my game ideas into one Dev Log. I intend to update the first post when a game is finished or a new one is started, and hopefully gain some feedback in the process.

You can also check out my freelance pixel work here...
http://www.facebook.com/matwekpixel

Finished Games

Xurge
Space Invaders inspired shooter combined with a little rhythm action gameplay. The premise behind this game was to bring back the retro styled games of the past where they had no ending as such; the game just gets more frantic as you progress.
In an attempt to capture and emulate that retro feel the instructions are shown via a demo played at the title screen, which lead to a lot of people not knowing how to play properly as they just skipped it.

http://itunes.apple.com/app/xurge/id461718872?mt=8

My pixel art has improved a lot since I first made this game so I’m actually looking to do a sequel if anyone is interested in programing it? I had a lot of extra content that never made it past the idea stage and I would love to see it given a chance

Blossoms
This second game was more of a concept test than a full game hence why it was released for free. The plan was to make something people would play to pass the time rather than compete for high scores.
Players use their fingers to cause gusts of wind to blow the leaves around. The aim is to get the coloured leaves to fall into the water, whilst simultaneously keeping the black ones out. Changing seasons and music convey to the player how well they are doing as the number of points they get allow them to pass onto the next ‘season’.

http://itunes.apple.com/mt/app/blossoms/id478676125?mt=8

Almost finished

Cannons and Cargo
This is a pirate themed game heavily inspired by Bomber Man. The player controls a ship that moves around a maze like environment, the aim of the game is to find loot, collect fish and destroy other players for points. The player can only shoot perpendicular to the direction of travel so getting into a good position is crucial to winning the game.
I’m hoping to have a playable build soon from the guy I’m working with so people can check it out. In the meantime here’s a mock up…

Octopodes
This game is made specifically for the iPhone. The player controls an octopus by tilting the mobile to move, the player can then dive to catch fish by holding the screen and rise back up by letting go.
The aim of the game is to catch small fish whilst avoiding the larger ones, although it’s a little more complex that that with different fish having certain capture criteria.
Again I’m hoping to have playable build in the near future for people to give feedback.

Space Game, not sure on name. I kind of like ‘Torino Scale’
This game was designed when I tried to design a series of games for classic eras of gaming, this one feel into the 80s arcade category. Whilst it designed the look and feel to be like an early arcade game I didn’t always stick to the limitations of the era.
The aim of the game is to avoid rocks and collect minerals, the problem is that the more minerals you collect the longer the trail of gems behind you gets. You then also have to avoid this ever increasing tail like you do in ‘Snake’.

Game concepts I’m working on

I’ll be updating this later with all the extra bits and pieces I’ve been messing about with. There are two ideas that I think have potential but aren’t quite games yet. One is a Chess style game but with a scoring system and the ability to design your own team setup. I do have a prototype of the game but at the moment its not quite playable.

The other is a simple to learn but tricky to master card game inspired by Final Fantasy’s ‘Triple Triad’. Art is just a placeholder at the moment.

When I get more time I’ll update this section with some sketches and diagrams to explain how the games work

All types of feedback is welcome
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:21:44 AM by matwek » Logged
cragwind
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 07:36:39 PM »

Great pixel art and diversity!

In your Chess-like game, is there any particular reason you chose to mark the pieces with symbols rather than designing full figures? I've gone that route for a similar kind of game, but that's just because my art abilities are rather limited.

matwek
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 02:14:34 PM »

Great pixel art and diversity!

In your Chess-like game, is there any particular reason you chose to mark the pieces with symbols rather than designing full figures? I've gone that route for a similar kind of game, but that's just because my art abilities are rather limited.
I do plan on having figures for the full game but at the moment I've stuck with symbols to prototype with.
The symbols do mean something and will hopefully help the player remember what moves that unit can make, I'll post up what they mean at some point.
matwek
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:05 AM »

Making some progress on the card game, nearing a build for people to play.

Also been updating the art for my old game
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 12:32:24 PM »

I like this a lot.

matwek
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 11:02:20 AM »

I like this a lot.
Thanks. Heres a shot of a working build.

The sprites are just place holders at the moment, I should hopefully have some new sprites soon so I can build a proper deck of cards with different stats.
matwek
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 03:30:54 AM »

Mock-up of a section of the world map. This is where you meet people to battle against.
Character sprites aren't my own work and I'm yet to add any objects or decoration so it looks a little bland at the moment.
matwek
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:39 AM »

Not really worth starting a new topic for this as its only a small game.

I've got together with a programmer to knock out a few fun and simple games in between some of my larger projects. As a sort of practice run we thought it might be a good idea to take one of my simpler designs and get it up and running on both iPhone and Android. This is the result...
http://www.rootllama.com/kuiper

As its just a practice run the game is up for Free.

Its gone through a few different changes from what I started with when I originally seeked help with the game, as seen earlier in this topic. Most noticeably, a name change.

So give it a try and be brutal with your feedback as it was supposed to be a learning exercise, and if you like it, why not pass on the link *hint hint*

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic