Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:49:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLife Goes On - A game of life, death and puzzles
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Life Goes On - A game of life, death and puzzles  (Read 7156 times)
eviltaco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 02:42:39 PM »

wow looks cool
Pidroh
Level 0

Pidroh Super Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2013, 02:52:02 PM »

This is really amazing, ambience, level design, art style, all very good!

One flaw I spotted, though, is that the controls feel a bit loose, wish they were tighter :x

erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2013, 09:49:29 AM »

One flaw I spotted, though, is that the controls feel a bit loose, wish they were tighter :x

Do you think you could expand of this, or maybe give an example of what you would change or what you didn't like?

Thanks.

Life Goes On - Use your dead bodies to solve puzzles and make progress.

Feedback Thread
FloatingCoder
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2013, 11:34:42 AM »

Just played through the whole thing, love the concept, art and atmosphere!

I too noticed the controls where a bit loose, specifically when running one way, then jumping another. I don't remember which level it was on, but you have to spawn, run to the left up a little ramp, then jump to the right onto a platform. It *seemed* like if I didn't come to a full stop before jumping the other way, I was still skidding to the left and so couldn't jump as far to the right. Does that make sense? Not a huge deal, just something that made me go "geesh, missed that jump again..." (But i've got issues like that to fix in my game too... Smiley )

Love the credits and the ending!

For me, it deemed like you had to kill too many knights. Getting across the spike conveyor, I must have thrown 15 - 20 knights on that thing. Perhaps I missed something and used way too many, but it felt repetitive, and not so enjoyable to kill so many in a row. I'll also agree with other comments, it feels like it needs some sort of indication of how many I should need to kill. Perhaps a maximum amount of corpses on the screen at once, and then the older ones fade away? For instance, if you think I should be able to get across with 5, limit me to 8 so I need to be more creative then just filling the whole thing up with 20 bodies. Not sure, just thinking through the keyboard.

Anyway, great game! Hope mine looks that nice someday!
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2013, 11:32:01 AM »

I really enjoyed this game! I always die a lot in puzzle games, so I naturally love the idea of it being OK to die! Even needed! Great game and I hope to see more levels. I made a little let's play video if you'd like to check it out.

volando
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2013, 02:30:48 PM »

Why is he wearing a sword if he can't use it? Smiley
ChaoticBoredom
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2013, 08:58:15 AM »

So that he can fling it away wildly when he dies. Grin
Jupiter_Hadley
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2013, 07:29:17 PM »

So that he can fling it away wildly when he dies. Grin
It is just so he looks manly in case he sees an enemy.
Zoe Coleman Music
Level 1

Composer based in Brighton, UK

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2013, 03:20:23 AM »

Just played through this and really liked it a lot - totally up my street with the sense of humour! Its a really cool concept and I can't wait to see more of it! :D

Also regarding music I think an ambient track would work quite well or perhaps a really well to do mock-classic/tudor/royal piece that picks up on the style of the game and complements the humour of it. Don't know if you've found someone to do the music yet, but as a composer myself its a game I'd love to work on so get in touch if you're still looking! Smiley

Also the way the credits were done was very cool (and sadistic haha) - overall just really enjoyed it! 

Website | Soundcloud | Twitter |

erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2013, 05:29:17 PM »

...I made a little let's play video if you'd like to check it out.

Cool!  Thanks for posting this.

Don't know if you've found someone to do the music yet, but as a composer myself its a game I'd love to work on so get in touch if you're still looking! Smiley

We are in the process of trying to figure out what we want for music, and dealing with trying to put together a budget and all of that sort of stuff, and we haven't gotten very far with it.  But thanks for the feedback and the input.  It's appreciated.

Feedback Thread
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2013, 02:35:44 PM »

We have a fairly major new build, incorporating a lot of the feedback we got from the community. There are also new levels and new mechanics.  Please check it out!

Steam | Windows | Mac | Linux

Feedback is always appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 05:09:31 PM by erik » Logged

Feedback Thread
Deebezee
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2013, 01:14:11 PM »

The presentation is actually quite good. Bonus to the Humor.
beck
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »

I'm just going to thought dump a bit on this while I play it, I hope you find some of this useful Smiley

- The audio on the intro screen is a bit fuzzy, I like the tone of it but there is some sharpness that sounds a bit odd on my headphones.
- I love the intro, at first I was like WTF? and then it made sense. However it says Jump to Respawn but I didn't know how to jump :O
- There is something strangely satisfying about jumping on your previous corpse's head to complete a mission!
- The lighting and shading in some parts make it difficult to gauge the environment. In the third level I struggled quite a bit to grab onto the that ledge because I couldn't really see where it was.
- I like how it shows the goal before the level starts, but I wish it showed a bit of the level as the camera panned back to the player. I feel like I am no better off figuring out what to do, with how fast it moves.
- I love how the spawn points are a dynamic gameplay object, that adds a lot of life to the concept.
- That credits screen was rad!

Overall I really enjoyed it, I think theres a lot to be tightened up but the concept itself seems sound. I think the biggest thing that bothered me was the sort of "soft edges" phenomenon, where it was unclear whether I was going to make a jump because of the art. In platformers it feels really uncomfortable when the parameters of your movement are unclear, and there were a couple times while playing this that that happened.

Good job! Smiley
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2013, 12:33:52 PM »

Thanks for the detailed feedback beck.  It's definitely useful.

Regarding the "soft edges" that you found troublesome, do you think this is a matter of the art not making it clear where the contact points are?  Or does it have to do with the physics engine being a bit loose about how the character and platform interactions are handled?

Feedback Thread
sunnder
Level 0

Scorch Arena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2013, 05:50:03 PM »

I really enjoyed playing this. The concept is one that I've never seen before and it's a refreshing break from traditional platformer gameplay, mostly because it forced me to think in a way that I hadn't before. Graphics were great and I would play a whole game of this if I had the time.

My only complain was that the movement felt a little underpolished but I have a feeling that was intentional (the momentum in the air didn't feel very responsive). Otherwise, great job!

"In any case you mustn't confuse a single failure with a final defeat." - F. Scott Fitzgerald
snipercommand
Level 0

why not?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2013, 02:15:14 AM »

this game is really good =)
I like the graphics, the humor and the gameplay
Good job!
The environement is already good, but maybe it can be even better with some work.
iforce2d
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2013, 09:47:56 PM »

Runs nicely on Linux32 and looks great. I liked the concept of using previous 'lives' in that way, and overall enjoyed it quite a bit. It would be nice if I could go back to the main menu without losing my progress.
jquave
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2013, 07:53:33 AM »

Game looks great, an impressive level of graphics polish, so congratulations on that! I also like the overall gameplay concept of using your prior corpse to proceed through the level. I had worked on a prototype that had similar puzzles that I never released.

Here's what I would say could be improved:

- Needs some audio work, the levels are all over the map and occasional a very loud sound shows up and is very grating. I recommend pulling all the sounds in to a DAW and getting everything compressed and around the same levels.
- Needs some background music, you can find some free tracks online, or pay for some on soundrangers
- The concept for the puzzles is fun, but the puzzles could use some more imagination. I kind of felt like I was solving the same thing over and over, instead of feeling like new challenging ways to think of the puzzles were being presented.
- Movement could use work, are you using a rigidbody character? I've had some success using a rigidbody and controlling it by changing the velocity every frame. The game would be significantly more fun if the movement felt more fun.

But otherwise very good, I really an impressed by the visual fidelity. Look forward to seeing more!
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

Runs nicely on Linux32 and looks great. I liked the concept of using previous 'lives' in that way, and overall enjoyed it quite a bit. It would be nice if I could go back to the main menu without losing my progress.

I'm glad to hear it's working well under Linux.  We are using Unity's standard export, and I've been wondering if we need to do anything more than that.

- The concept for the puzzles is fun, but the puzzles could use some more imagination. I kind of felt like I was solving the same thing over and over, instead of feeling like new challenging ways to think of the puzzles were being presented.
- Movement could use work, are you using a rigidbody character? I've had some success using a rigidbody and controlling it by changing the velocity every frame. The game would be significantly more fun if the movement felt more fun.

Any suggestions for what we would need to do give the puzzles more variety in how they feel?  Do you think that there isn't enough variety in the mechanics?  Or is it more that the levels aren't using the mechanics in different enough ways?

We are using a rigidbody character, and we have heard a few times that we don't have the movement right yet.  This is definitely something we will be investing more effort in.

Thanks for the feedback!

Feedback Thread
erik
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 05:43:20 PM »

We have a trailer online now!  Feedback on it would also be very welcome.

Is there any way to embed youtube videos in the forum?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:34:00 PM by erik » Logged

Feedback Thread
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic