Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:20:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318097 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: April 14, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »

hey Devlog! missed you devlog this weekend

was busy this weekend
jon did some stuff though!!

we can't show you though..

It was WORKING ON A LEVEL. Oh yeah and I WORKED ON A LEVEL too I will do more today. NPC stuff and all that jazz.

Oh I thought up 4 entities too the other day! Ineed to program those

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1021 on: April 14, 2014, 06:44:35 PM »

Working on some writing. Like I was complaining about earlier, trying to keep together all the threads of trying to make everything relevant and make sense despite not knowing the order of everything or whether or not people read or remembered all the stuff.

Basically I try to get every bit of text to
1) Advance the themes of the area OR the overarching narrative (both occasionally)
2) Build/describe the character speaking
3) Be a little surprising or at least not super predictable

If it doesn't meet all three of those things, i usually try to rewrite/rethink. And I think in terms of building/describing character, it can be easy to fall into ruts of kind of giving characters a shtick and having them blatantly interpret any situation through their shticky personality. The opposite problem is not making anyone distinct enough by trying to make everyone complex. Maybe what I should be trying to shoot for is that characters deepen or surprise you a bit if they have enough dialogue to get there. There are some NPCs that just say one thing. But trying to have at least 1 or 2 in each area that are a bit more developed.

I dunno, we'll see how it goes. I reallly want the dialogue to be good and worth reading.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: April 14, 2014, 08:11:01 PM »

Ambient NPCs and Melodic NPCs

It's good to have those 3 things in mind. I'm writing for a few areas (yay) and well...it is hard. Ambient NPCs feel easier since you know they're not being developed too deep, and thus if they fit alright with themes you're good. It's more of if you have good thematic planning and coherence, then they work pretty easily. (Like ambient music...if you have strong ideas going into it and don't have too much trouble finding the correct sound palettes, you're usually good to go...) melodic is harder...structure is harder..metaphors...can't make this metaphor work...

~music analogy~

~NPCs are the vital connecting forces for thematic material~

They make concrete ideas from the
PARKOUR
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/04/14/parkour-and-recreation-even-the-ocean/
and
Recreation
aspects of the game.

As well as lend a better framework for listening to the music and looknig at the art. Probably. 

Read jon's post it was better

play hydlide 2
MallowyGoodness
Level 0

Service Games, they make the hedgehogs.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1023 on: April 15, 2014, 11:25:44 AM »

"The fruits of a cursory glance suggest that the game is a lo-fi platformer with survival and crafting elements – a genre most of us are intimately familiar with, whether through exploring Terraria or bounding between the stars."

Whoever wrote this article sees a 2D platformer and thinks it's Terraria? What?
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: April 15, 2014, 11:28:29 AM »

IIRC later he mentions that's not the case (i think he was jsut mentioning what he thought from looking at a picture? which, as goes for games in general, visuals don't tell much about specific gameplay). I thought that at first and panicked a bit.

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1025 on: April 15, 2014, 01:34:14 PM »

I feel like most of the press gives a lot of sorta strange explanations of the game which is fine because the whole 2-games thing is confusing and there's a lot up in the air still. I think it's fine to be sort of weird and confusing and once people actually play the game I think it'll make more sense and seem a lot simpler than it sounds.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1026 on: April 16, 2014, 10:38:48 AM »

I just made a small NPC. It "smokes"...sort of.

Just a reminder: Even the Ocean will corrupt your children
does it vape

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1027 on: April 16, 2014, 10:44:13 AM »

I feel like most of the press gives a lot of sorta strange explanations of the game which is fine because the whole 2-games thing is confusing and there's a lot up in the air still. I think it's fine to be sort of weird and confusing and once people actually play the game I think it'll make more sense and seem a lot simpler than it sounds.

I like this anyways, hard to describe is a nice trait for games in general.

The Even and The Ocean thing really is best described sort of like a Side A/ Side B thing of a tape. Even if that's not the best metaphor it's a nice metaphor  (..analogy?)

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1028 on: April 16, 2014, 08:20:50 PM »

http://tindeck.com/listen/cwrc

Musicc

Migrated from github to bitbucket because FREE today. renewed EVENTHEOCEAN DOMAIN
worked on LEVELS and CODED THINGS
AND MUSIC

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1029 on: April 18, 2014, 04:44:19 AM »

Whoa I did not post an update yesterday

Added some dialogue Jon wrote for...I guess I'll just say Area 2. I'll jus tnumber these by the order we've been finalizing stuff, not necessarily the order you play them in The Ocean.

I spent a bit too long in the morning listening to hip-hop/rap from Chicago , which actually is pretty nice. The hard part about it is there are always multiple producers on songs so you never know who did waht, like with this song it's hard to tell whose idea was the for the main dark atmosphere. Kind of like small indie games which is interesting now that I think about that...

https://soundcloud.com/wscsounds-1/nicki-minaj-chiraq-ft-lil-herb

Anyways I feel like this sort of stuff might work well for a song in one area (just that sort of dark energy, the area won't really be totally dark but...anyways)

I restructured An Area's Gauntlet and also worked on Another Area .

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1030 on: April 18, 2014, 06:26:10 AM »

I was going to do more music stuff at night, but I took benadryl and then also ate mcdonalds and then passed out for a few hours..then had to go to bed

play hydlide 2
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1031 on: April 19, 2014, 11:23:08 AM »

I like that post

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1032 on: April 19, 2014, 08:32:22 PM »

im programming dialgue box

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1033 on: April 22, 2014, 06:58:22 AM »

i hate programming , but it's necessary. so meh

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1034 on: April 23, 2014, 09:10:29 AM »

http://tindeck.com/listen/vyeo

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1035 on: April 24, 2014, 06:44:57 AM »

hey go reblog and like this on tumblr for me eh

http://seagaia.tumblr.com/post/83719943130/just-hanging-out-in-this-power-plant

play hydlide 2
William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1036 on: April 24, 2014, 12:30:30 PM »

These new industrial areas seem to be a lot darker in tone compared to the earlier nature scenes. I, for one, am intrigued.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1037 on: April 24, 2014, 10:09:28 PM »

I love those industrial backgrounds.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: April 25, 2014, 06:57:25 AM »

All will be revealed!

That GIF looks darker in tone than the actual area b/c of the context it's missing, visually (it's at night in that area). The industrial parts do have a different tone than the nature parts though!

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: April 25, 2014, 11:52:44 AM »

http://tindeck.com/listen/jkda

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic