Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:03:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318095 times)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 03, 2013, 06:54:09 PM »

cool. that embedding as music thing works fine. woooooooooo phew ahhhh thank god

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2013, 08:42:51 PM »

didn't do much over the weekend because i did a lot of real ife stuff saturday and then studying sunday. but i got in some small things planned out to implement. soi 'm happy.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 10:30:57 PM »

"Wow sean when are we going to see some art"

not yet..

I found some time to do boring things like camera and song triggers. Which are important in parts. And some design-y things too...also ways in which the game world(s) progress...

vague!

play hydlide 2
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: May 08, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »

didn't do much over the weekend because i did a lot of real ife stuff saturday and then studying sunday. but i got in some small things planned out to implement. soi 'm happy.
GAMES ARE REAL LIFEEEEEEEEE

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 08, 2013, 07:54:42 AM »

Gah, I really do wish I had "something to show", but it would just be colored squares. Maybe I'll make more GIFs. I guess there's level deisgn I could show but I don't want to ruin or spoil things.

Like with Anodyne, we didn't show any of the areas off past the windmill event.

It looks like I haven't even discussed the game structure/story anywhere. I'll do that shortly since Jon and I have agreed upon how much to initially tell

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2013, 09:37:25 PM »

did things today

among them

camera triggers with unlimited entry/exit points -

you add a screen-sized rectangle, and can move regions around in it to specify when to activate and de-activate it.

this can lock the vertical or horizontal or both axes

this is mportant for hiding areas, or for "screen-high" areas where you dont want jumping to awkwardly show other parts

thank god this is over

play hydlide 2
GildedGreen
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2013, 09:17:16 AM »

This is great to see. I literally JUST beat Anodyne a second ago and was impressed to see in the credits that it had been done with Flixel. I've used it, and seen it used, for smaller browser games, but hadn't seen it implemented so successfully in a larger, installable game. Which was one of the reasons I was considering looking into HAXE, and here's a new project being done by you guys in HAXE! This log has been super informative so far!

I'm also kind of amazed that it had never occurred to me to make an in-game editing tool. Even for smaller projects I found it kind of grueling to juggle FlashDevelop, DAME (which is a useful, but kind of flakey program with some weird UI issues), and all of my graphics files and stuff. I can't imagine what a headache putting together the huge Anodyne maps was like.

Anyway, yeah, keep posting. This stuff is great to see. Would you ever consider polishing a version of your editor/tool for folks to use? (Or doing a more detailed documentation of its development down the line?)
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2013, 12:35:20 PM »

Today:
Added ability to establish child/parent link between entities
Entities can broad cast messages to children, entities can receieve messages and act accordingly (useful for having things open gates, having ab utton trigger some behavior on things)

Some fixes with the editor when switching between maps (we store in-memory copies of the CSVs/entities as hashes...I think this might have been an unneccessary abstraction but it's not going to be added to/edited mcuch)

BLAH BLAH BLAH

---
GildedGreen:
Thanks!

Yeah, DAME has some UI issues...I would sometimes lose menus, click something and it would crash, and I felt like it was just sort of slow. One nice feature it had was arbitrary layers for a group of maps, which isn't super useful except for the one case where Jon tiles over my "un-tiled" maps with his artwork. I guess I'll have to do something for that later.

Putting anodyne maps together felt sluggish. Especially with testing enemies, dear god

I don't think publishing my editor would be useful for others' games - the entire point of it is to speed up the workflow for this game, thus, it uses abstractions/file formats for my game (an extended FlxSprite class, etc), and wouldn't work easily in another game. But I plan to make the editor available in game so people can make their own "quests" or whatever.

I'll probably write up sometime on how the editor works and what it does so people can use those ideas elsewhere, but it seems pretty straightforward atm.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2013, 09:56:38 PM »

one can serialize the child/parent relationships, lines show between children and parents, some bugfixes, blah blah boring

it doesn't seem exciting, but now you can basically network entities together. I only ahve very basic uses immediately in mind, but you could do a lot of goofy shit by timing broadcasts of messages up and down the chains

ooh prorrammgin

play hydlide 2
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2013, 07:37:50 AM »

one can serialize the child/parent relationships, lines show between children and parents

Adequate progress for mother's day.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:42 AM »

ABSOLUTELY

yesterday I ddn't do much. was mostly with family. (worked on a level, though)
today I worked on dialoge management things, will hopefully finish thtat lter

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 14, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »

didn't do much with this today, other than having an idea for a level idea and sort of this thing about one of the game worlds...i worked on this small game project for fun for a bit, though

also our power was shut off because of this bullshit sequence of events, so that took away some of my time today....bah.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2013, 09:59:18 PM »

this screenshot is zoomed out at 1x (gameplay is 2x zoom

Epileptic
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:29:20 AM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2013, 10:12:02 PM »

A game in development by
Sean Hogan
Jonathan Kittaka
Who last collaborated on Anodyne.

I think it's best to explain from different perspectives and then combine them - a lot of this explanation will be unnecessary once we have some sort of demo/trailer/pics, but for the time being it'll be a lot of words.

Mechanics
A sidescrolling adventure, where health has been modified to be a sliding scale between two energy types, and the only item is a shield which points in four directions. Reaching 100% of either energy type causes you to die in an amount of time unless you get the other energy, so the areas are designed around this idea of balancing the two types in a platforming context (there is wall jumping). There are no other items or upgrades, but there are some forms of collectibles/hidden thingies (not for story progression).

The game pacing/structure is similar to Anodyne, but broader at each stage, i.e., linear for a little bit, and then there is some freedom at what to do next, story event, opens up some more places, revisit some place,. I don't plan on having collectibles needed to finish the game.

Gameplay takes place in three worlds - a large fantasy reoccurring-dream-world, "real life", and then daydreams/thoughts of the real-life protagonist. The "dream" and "daydreams" have the same gameplay, just level design will be a bit different. Real life is just walking about places for context on the main character/daydream/thoughts sequences. The perspective is all sidescroll except for the world map in the dream.

The gameplay consists of moving about interconnected sidescrolling areas with aforementioned mechanics. Between these sets of interconnected areas is a world map (similar to Golden Sun) used to help us make smoother transitions between the differences in visuals/etc, give a sense of scale, etc.

Story
I'm going to be vague to not ruin too much.

It follows the events of "real-life" character Even, and her reoccuring dream world of (unnamed), a woman who works on maintaining power plants around her world which help to power her town.

Stuff happens to Even and the dream character. Smiley At some level of abstraction even's events influence the ideas from the dream world.

art/music

whatever it takes to convey the feel we want. HAHAHAH VAGUE oaky

we'll let the music/art speak for itself later through relative media or a demo. No art yet, a little music start (see my tindeck or soundcloud).

It'll probably be late-SNES era in terms of general aesthetic feel.

ok

that's the idea. Jon and I have a lot figured out on the world, little details we probably won't explicitly say but are necessary for working on levels and the story. I've been working on the engine stuff, game entities as needed, as well as working on designing some levels. did a little music so far. jon will be ablet os tart working more once he graduates in a few weeks (I'll be graduating too).

our roles are prettty much the same as anodyne, but jon has been helping more with game design/story (where as more of that was in place with anodyne when Jon joined).

out side of the game, it will be moddable for making user-created quests, stuff I'm not sure about is cutscene support  - other stuff - tilesets, areas, dialogue,e tc is supported. So maybe sorta like knytt stories in that respect, but the primary focus is still the main game. game should be relatively able to be easily localized as i've programmed it so far.

-------------

platforms : windows. probably mac/linux if i can compile on them.

WHAT ARE YOU USING: in-house editor, HaXe Flixel, flashdevelop, REAPER, photoshop, GIMP, graphicsgale
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:18:05 AM by seagaia » Logged

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2013, 12:25:11 AM »

okay updated the front post for what the hell this game is.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

more progress. I added info on what the game is Smiley finally, right?

will do more tonite ~~~

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2013, 10:10:01 PM »

insecurities on level design, as usual. I need to try harder with utilizing the core mechancis of the game

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2013, 09:16:54 AM »

thhought of some things, programmed some things yesterday - so okay progress. found out there aren't really many blend  modes with nme cpp target?? guess we'll need to get creative (though i suppose we could do it ourselves at the haxe level but it might be slow?)

play hydlide 2
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2013, 11:39:33 AM »

thhought of some things, programmed some things yesterday - so okay progress. found out there aren't really many blend  modes with nme cpp target?? guess we'll need to get creative (though i suppose we could do it ourselves at the haxe level but it might be slow?)

^^^^^^^ you can always play withthe screen buffer like winnose :~)

the lack of blendmodes made me sad thoughh

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2013, 03:41:21 PM »

^^^^^^^ you can always play withthe screen buffer like winnose :~)

the lack of blendmodes made me sad thoughh

yeah it kind of blows, but i guess this means we get to find creative workarounds? or maybe we'll be okay with small lighting that's hardcoded (though that seems painful..)

was working on this song.

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/cliffredux-2-wip

i like where it's going. might make it less muddy but it's kind of a nice effect. i don't know where it would go yet but it's kind of the mood of the game in my head right now

-----
hopefully will program today~~~

play hydlide 2
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic