Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 02:33:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 315260 times)
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1340 on: October 29, 2014, 05:15:36 AM »

it's sort of weirdly motivating.  just make a box for each area ...like...shore_1, shore_2, shore_g1, etc...make it orange if you statr it, yellow if you have a lot done, green if done. it's fun to watch it progress.

Josiah - for me, each box is a song the game needs, colors corresponding to above. blue is if it's one but i decided i want to revise parts .

For anyone curious about mixing mastering - I do a bit of mixing if I'm having trouble with it sounding okay, otherwise i'm fine with occasional muddiness. as for mastering, I don't really bother. I've just listened to a song I felt was at the right levels (I'll just play a FEZ song), try to get one song close, and then aim for that level of loudness with the rest. I barely did any of this for anodyne and no one noticed!

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1341 on: October 29, 2014, 07:04:55 PM »

lol sean that graph is confusing but yea

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1342 on: October 30, 2014, 02:56:57 PM »

ok. made my own progress document. my brain has been kind of foggy lately. i feel like i might try to make a small game this weekend? not sure.

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1343 on: October 31, 2014, 02:41:50 PM »

had been a little stuck on an area, the imagery is starting to click into place... the style of rocks and grass

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1344 on: October 31, 2014, 02:52:30 PM »

worked on a few songs today. well finished up some and then took a really old one and split it into two for a specific use in the game...spoilers..
this one i redid
http://tindeck.com/listen/gdzq

games

i also signed up for gamefly for $25 for 2 months. It could give me a free month, but I only get 1 game out at a time and then the next month is $17...and the way gamefly works is you cna't really pick what you want if you want high-demand games...so you have this queue and sometimes you get a game and sometimes you dont depending on how in demand it is. figured I could save a couple $100 since i don't want any of these games super badly. I picked SM 3dworld, pikmin 3, and some hunting game plus a bunch others...we'll see! also finished bayonetta and tried out No More Heroes which I found used. NMH feels a bit more fuzzy in the combat and also has that really annoying Wiimote flicking around stuff from early Wii games...er anyways.

Working on Anodyne 2! https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=65359.0 Made Anodyne, Even the Ocean, All Our Asias
melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1345 on: November 03, 2014, 10:23:53 AM »

Did a song over the weekend real brief.

progress:

There's a few unfinished near the top b/c I'm not 100% sure we'll use them or not. So I'm focusing on what I know we will use.

I also started nanowrimo this weekend b/c I was curious about writing. It's fun so far, fun in the same sense as how carefree making your first games can be, before you learn (or don't learn...) exactly how ineffective your communication through them is. Dunno if I can fit in the 1-2 hours of work it requires each day, but we'll see, I have an okay outline...

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1346 on: November 05, 2014, 11:41:19 AM »

on music preview:

https://soundcloud.com/seagaia/even-the-ocean-ost-si-preview

er, one.

realizing that if i'm playing a new game(s) when i usually procrastinate i seem to be more productive. been trying to 'procrastinate' by playing games/reading/writing instead of watching videos or reading news...weird.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1347 on: November 06, 2014, 09:37:55 PM »

Neat music. That progress chart is impressive, looks like you did a lot in only a few days.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1348 on: November 06, 2014, 09:51:51 PM »

more wii u stuff
Thanks! Dropping in at a weird hour.   A lot of those songs were short / I used old mostly-finished songs and re-did them/modified parts to fit them in, so that made things fast. OR, they were ambient songs too which are easier in general.

I decided to return 3D world. Well I'll return it tomorrow. Played for abt 9 hours..binge played. I got to ...the part where the next 20 stages are just remixes and decided to call it quits...I found3D world to be more enjoyable than 3d land (I died much less and it seemed easier to jump around / maybe less floaty), but like with 3D land and other mario games, I'm never finding myself having much fun...just curious in looking into all of the design things they hae there. and they have a lot. Some cool stages were Star-2 and Star-3 , respectively the ones with the slowly flipping platofrms, and then the rollers...they foucsed so much on those tough mechanics ...really frustrating but it's interesting, the proression.

meh...too lazy to write more thoughts. overall good if you're into it.  glad i didn't shell out the $60...getting DK tropical freeze and pikmin 3 via gamefly, soon.

------

ok talking abot ETO
As for game, just did some songs today and coded a thing.  songs even clsoer to done ~~ yay ~

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1349 on: November 08, 2014, 06:38:39 AM »

yesterdayi coded a particle system and the metadata subsystem for it that lets jon create layers/animated particles for any mapw ith differing movements/behavior. I also worked on an old song that hopefully i'll finish soon. it's one of those with a fast-ish tempo that's sorta complex so it takes a long time to write.

---

I also played more pikmin 3,then my demo ended Cry . hopefully gamefly gets notified of my 3d world return so they send out pikmin 3. for somem reason they sent me dk tropical freeze earleir, which is fine.

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1350 on: November 10, 2014, 05:14:51 AM »

Lost a few days researching some stuff. Getting a new computer because my current one has been really slowing down. Another advantage of getting a new computer is that i'll be able to use a drawing tablet monitor for the first time! I think that might speed some aspects of the process. Wacom's Cintiq line are totally BS expensive. Looking at a Yiynova model. I've wanted one of these things for a really long time, but my computer doesn't have the inputs for extra monitors, and also they're really expensive. But I think I'm at a point in my life where it makes sense--I know exactly how I'll use it and I'll be using it a lot so it'll be worth it, and for commercial work so it'll work to pay itself off, so to speak.

Also, I've done some animation here and there and I kind of like it--but it's reallly hard to do frame-by-frame with a traditional tablet. So much of it is getting angles just right which makes that disconnect between hand and screen really hard to deal with.

Getting stuff done. Last week I was trying to wean myself off constantly listening to podcasts and stuff. Tried to do several silent "pomodoros" before allowing myself to listen to stuff while working and it was unsurprisingly good for productivity. I have to do more work in order to not be bored when I'm not listening to anything. Eh.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1351 on: November 10, 2014, 09:31:14 PM »

finished off a few songs that i started over the weekend / last week. finished normal mode on bayo 2. absurd story...but generalyl more polished than bayo 1 and slightly more accessible. at some point i'll finish w101 or no more heroes, maybe. but i just got Dk tropical freeze int he mail and pikmin should be coming on thursday or friday. DK seems average so far. idk how much it will hold my interest. the tevis thompson review of dk TF has a funny quote... "has no good reason to exist". sad...

anyways, getting into the teens for how many songs are left. weird. also slowly weaning myself back into programming so once the songs are done i can start going fast through the final cutscene programming and the other million God Damn Bugfixes that will pop up

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1352 on: November 12, 2014, 02:46:29 PM »

worked on some irritating songs today. well i like them but working on them was irritating

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1353 on: November 12, 2014, 07:10:57 PM »

Done a lot of work over the past few days really trying to bring a lot of elements together and try to get a vision of how areas in general will really feel with all the parts in place. It's easy to get stuck in a rut of polishing every little thing and I could literally spend infinite time paying attention to every pixel, but I'm constantly trying to back off and get back to the big picture.

Also trying to cycle through multiple areas instead of finishing one 100%. Helps with perspective, and I learn a lot working with the unique visual challenges of each area... figure out and try to grasp what the consistent style of the game is. Anyway CANYON area is looking pretty good, I'm confident that the rest will flow, so I'm moving on to the beach, i think. Even though the recent re-do of the beach graphics was done before the final decisions on the drawing-whole-areas style, a bunch of the assets I made will actually work pretty well, I think, so definitely not starting from scratch there.

Ultimately, I just can't wait for people to experience the whole thing all together... it's gonna be something!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1354 on: November 13, 2014, 05:01:20 AM »

Hey Sean how did you get your name changed? I think I might do that too.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1355 on: November 13, 2014, 01:13:48 PM »

Yay progress

Almost done

Purple means I'm not 100% sure I need the song so I'm going to pass on it for now. They're from little optional areas that idk if we'll get to

Well, some of the songs left are kind of hard ... some gauntlet stuff...

---

and lucas it's in the profile settings somewhere i believe you can set it yourself.

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1356 on: November 16, 2014, 12:44:36 PM »

please retweet this if you are reading the thread !! Smiley https://twitter.com/EventheOcean/status/534041966422790144

It's from an early area.

---

State of the Ocean

Jon sent a few e-mails - nailing down details of final areas gameplay-wise, locking in the final detailed structures, which is exciting. Since I'll be finishing the music this week (!) I can move onto finishing the event scripting, entity updates, level designs, testing, sound effects, putting in sprite animations and other little cutscene things...and the game will be done!

sean stuff
Realizing that I'm not as excited by 2D platforming level design as I was whenever we started...oh well. By excited I mean I'm not that good at it and I hardly feel motivation to get better at it. Er, that sounds bad for the game but I think I'm motivated enough to try to do a good job for ETO. But after this never again!!!

ETO is a great game, unique, worthwhile of many peoples' time. I think I can guarantee that even though it's not done. The way the movement feels in the different types of level architecture feels weirdly nice and contextualized into the game's narrative.

working on the game, or maybe htis is jsut growing up - learning the designs i like to do/don't like to do, figuring out sociopoltiical topics i care about more, getting into other hobbies too.

pikmin 3
I Got pikmin 3! it's fun...i like the dyanmic difficulty. multitasking, etc, the ways you can go at a level nonlinearly and sorta-at-your-pace thanks to the dynamic difficulty with the fruit juice stuff (game is harder if you try to finish faster.)

minor complaint with story mode (confusing to tell when i will permanently lose - other than running out of fruit juice - like when rescuing the girl character the 2nd time).

boring ranty stuff

conventions

ugh...conventions. I hate exhibiting at conventions. this has been nagging at me for all of development. i just don't like socializing in that environment. it is nice to (briefly) socialize with fans. but...the set-up, waking up, standing in place, ugh

If I want to sell my game, let it be through my ETO twitter caricature. god, they are so stressful. all I think back to is after day 1 of PAX, jon and I were sitting on some sidewalk in who-knows-where in Seattle(?) at night. it was just the worst. I never get the feelign of 'why am i doing this to myself' when working on games. I get this feeling when I am at conventions, less so when not exhibiting.

i don't feel like i'm in the in-crowd with games. i feel like i've been distancing more and more from them. like not 'gamers' but the indie games community and how insular it feels. idk. i often catch myself thinking 'i really hate games' but of course i don't ! it's complicated. there are good-intentioned games out there and good games. agh

Playtesting

I should do this. But at the same time I don't know. I feel weird about it. You universally hear that you should playtest a game...but like...I hate doing it. It's just the most fucking boring thing for me. Maybe I shouldn't be a game designer. Jon is really good at catching things that don't communicate well, so once those things get fixed I think the rest of the game is fine.

i guess i'll do it a little with full beta tests...just in case, down the line. playtests do help some.

obviously i'll bug test.

business

i'm glad I don't get business advice. here's my business advice. platforms. here's the key to the future: consoles. that's my saving grace for not doing this playtest/convention stuff. get onto consoles, you get some nice base of sales for a couple of years. that's what i'm doing this time around.

idk and twitter i guess.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:19:22 PM by Sean Hogan (seagaia) » Logged

melos han-tani
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1357 on: November 16, 2014, 01:33:16 PM »

playtesting is valuable. I think...that for me I feel like jon and I's intuitions are good enough to make the game a good experience. it could possibly be made better with testing, but i don't know how much it would improve it. plus we'll learn plenty from LPs and reviews and feedback when the game's out. I just don't like working towards some ideal 'eto'...not a huge perfectionist

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1358 on: November 16, 2014, 06:19:08 PM »

Playtesting and Ego Stuff
I like late playtesting and playtesting mostly focused on obscure bugs and order-of-events stuff. I don't like early playtesting for design feedback. Not saying that isn't good, but I just hate it, hehehehe... I like to give it to other people but I try not to because I personally hate it and I don't want to inflict it on others unless they really want it.

The problem with early design feedback is that most of the time, I'm like, "I was gonna go back and fix that!!" but now it's someone else's idea and there's less satisfaction. And you start to second guess more, and it's harder to just take something and run with it. I agree with not being perfectionist... this game just needs to get out there, and if we try to make it "perfect" from all perspectives we might lose some of the design weirdness/energy which we personally are bringing to the table? Although... that might be BS, I'm kind of a perfectionist. Working on EtO is helping me not be, though, because of the scale.

I've talked about this kind of thing before on the devlog... there are a bunch of weird stances I have to take as a designer that are basically rooted in ego... but like... ego is really important artistic fuel. Like I don't know how anyone could make art without ego being a significant part of the motivation. So because of my quirks as a designer, there's motivation in thinking that this is MY thing or OUR thing (just Sean and I) and that helps fuel the development, and early design feedback chips away at that in the back of my head. I'm not really proud of that, but... at the end of the day you just kind of have to know yourself and get stuff done however it takes... as long as it's not like evil or something. hm.

kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1359 on: November 17, 2014, 04:52:42 AM »

Oh yeah well... there's different kinds of playtesting I guess. Watching people play a really early build at PAX was pretty good, because we could see what they were doing on our screen and they were playing on a different screen so they didn't feel like we were looking over their shoulder but we could still see what was happening. That was useful information. I guess the kind of playtesting that gets under my skin and kind of bugs me while I'm working is written feedback to early/placeholder design choices.

Work Update
I was kind of hesitating around various things last week, trying to start more area art but realizing the framework wasn't all there yet. So I'm going back to writing/structure design again... probably for the last time in terms of the main areas (in terms of structure, anyway, I'll keep revising the writing and adding little bits). But there are just a few more areas and we've started to pin things down over the weekend. Now I'll try to do that writing.

PS: if you have given feedback, I appreciate it, and I'm not mad about it or anything! I think we're just saying we don't like going out of our way for early design feedback for our own weird reasons. Don't take it as advice or anything... just trying to honestly pick apart the peculiarities of our own workflow.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 01:00:18 PM by kittakaj » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic