Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 01:29:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEven the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 87
Print
Author Topic: Even the Ocean (Behind the Art series started!) OUT NOW!  (Read 318591 times)
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1400 on: December 27, 2014, 07:12:43 AM »

I think I kind of understand what you are trying to say in that post, as you make certain tweaks to how the game works (like that The Last of Us difficulty changes example) you can end up changing it towards a different genre.

Might be kind of interesting to actually map out the mechanics/dynamics/aesthetics of different genres to find where the overlaps and possible transition points are.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: December 28, 2014, 08:19:33 PM »

not many updates!!! just posting hi there. Jon and I got to hang out in person today !! yay! in chicago. back to work (maybe) tomorrow. who knwos.... I'll respond abt the mechanics thig...def changes i want to make

Some nice theory in a discussion here off of thoughts from Liz Ryerson  (between me, Llaura and liz)

https://twitter.com/ellaguro/status/548698785207955456

http://t.co/4x3GetMGrL

http://t.co/xJdvyOiar6

http://pastebin.com/rDBA98dV

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:29 AM »

hey look it is us

play hydlide 2
QuadraTron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1403 on: December 30, 2014, 07:09:57 AM »

Howdy! Your game looks great! The concept art on the first page caught my eye. I didn't look at the entire dev log but I did just watch one of your videos where you explain the game. It looks like it has some potentially fun puzzles with your balance mechanics.

Good luck!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: December 30, 2014, 05:12:53 PM »

not many updates!!! just posting hi there. Jon and I got to hang out in person today !! yay! in chicago. back to work (maybe) tomorrow. who knwos.... I'll respond abt the mechanics thig...def changes i want to make

Some nice theory in a discussion here off of thoughts from Liz Ryerson  (between me, Llaura and liz)

https://twitter.com/ellaguro/status/548698785207955456

http://t.co/4x3GetMGrL

http://t.co/xJdvyOiar6

http://pastebin.com/rDBA98dV

Interesting discussion, However I would like to introduce a new perspective through new words, this perspective is no different that what is expressed in this discussion but I think it clarify some element!

I would say it's not useful to think in term of system, mechanics, metaphore or skin. These imply dichotomy between element and don't emphasize the natural synergy that happen between them. They also express a traditional view of video games that is trying to break free from itself but still bog down by traditional convention.

Therefore I would like to introduce notion I found more appropriate such as "behavior" and "stake". The beauty is that it makes no distinction between abstract game and more expressive intent. For example behavior imply system but without dehumanizing and reducing to it. Think about it, in literature there is the advice to "show not  tell", how does that work? well you show a behavior to express the thing you would have to tell, you don't tell a person is selfish, you show him doing selfish things.

You could say that you are building a system where a character have too much and don't share with those who don' have enough, establishing him as selfish, but at the same time it does not convey the same kind of overall closure than a system. Thinking about the system would divert from the character and imply a completeness of resource, behavior can life with simply the implicitness of resource other its completeness.

As such you can more easily establish a "gameplay" situation that isn't bog down by too much thought about the system while not preventing such system to exist, just because you only need to imply the function of the system instead of simulating it completely.

Similarly the notion of stake encompass typical gaming goal but expend on more literary meaning and open experience game. A stake can be winning or losing or trying to understand the mystic of sex by a little girl. It imply character or system interchangeably, it does it through the implicit notion of role, for example in sim city you are a mayor and therefore the stake that ties to it (the goal isn't something at the end of a progression but enact by every decision made).

Through those lens, game like dis4ia, lim or cart life make full sense, it's not that the system are stretch or metaphorical, it's about expressing stake and behavior, ie what is to be in a certain role, cart life don't simulate as clearly as a game like the sims for example, instead it offer vignette through juxtaposition (aka a gaming kuleshov), so does dis4ia, LIM by merrit kopas is even more pure in term of stake and behavior (it has no illustrative element, even in the title unlike the marriage who still fall under the mentality of skin vs system, yet is expressive through its behavior without the need to spell a full system). And role is the ultimate notion that ties behavior and stake, game and literacy.

That make that little game "how do you do it" the perfect answer to that discussion, as it perfectly embody this perspective. It's importance should not be understate.

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: January 02, 2015, 04:01:26 PM »

just workin right now

released a small game on new year's eve

http://seanhogan.itch.io/a-high-fiber-japanese-empire-cereal

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: January 05, 2015, 11:16:35 AM »

i did some cutscene stuff the other day...had a busy weird day today but might do some of htat or work on an essay related to 2014 for ETO

--

G.J. - The notion of 'stake' you have osunds similar to Llaura's "anecdote" - or maybe I'm just relating these two concepts to understand them. There's a notion of trying to understand a Real WOrld System (e.g. capitalism). I think by having the 'stake' thing you mention - you can illuminate aspects of the system? So that's similar to Llaura's anecdote. The terms both get complicated-ish..but I think you both are going towards similar ideas, the usefulness of something in the category of The Marriage or in How Do You Do It.

Anyways I am thinking about the usefulness of small games vs long games. Small seem to be useful in the sense of being able to clearly (or more succinctly) attempt to articulate one's observations from their experience, illuminating an aspect of a Real World System: e.g. HDYDI with child sexuality, or whatever else game....alt games, etc...

the small vs long is definitely a too narrow spectrum. but you barely, barely (if ever?) see "alt games" with lengths over 2 or 3 hours or so. Maybe beeswing exceeds this, not sure - need to finish it

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: January 06, 2015, 09:31:42 AM »

okay, back to home. going to work today on cutscenes (I am finishing the ENDING today!! but it's like i'm working inwards...meaning I've done the first 33% of the game and a bit more, and am working from the end as well. heh ehe

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: January 06, 2015, 09:48:19 AM »

Anyways I counted, there are about 73 cutscene/event thingies. A few are basic things like invisible blockers that stop you from re-entering a gauntlet after you finish it. A few are automatic tutorial pop-ups (How to use the World Map, etc, super simple isntructions for beginner players like wall jumping).

Most of them are mandatory and short cutscenes where there are a few NPCs and Aliph and some dialogue happens. Most of these tend to happen in the City area in-between gauntlets.

A bit over half of these are scripted into the game with dialogue and placeholder NPCs. They're all pretty easy for the most part (I finished my spreadsheet today...) but are kind of boring and repetitive to make at times. However, playing through them in a row is fun.

--

Of course, this is just main story event thingies. Each of the main areas which have the power plants also have a handful of event thingies...which is a bit over half done.

play hydlide 2
kittakaj
Level 1

hello

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1409 on: January 06, 2015, 02:56:02 PM »

I'm finally back to main work stuff. was travelling for a wedding and holidays. Sometimes manga have little self-deprecating author-comics randomly inserted. Like a little chibi-author going "sorry I am so slow at drawing!!" That's basically my role here in the devlog.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 03:28:42 PM by kittakaj » Logged

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1410 on: January 06, 2015, 08:10:44 PM »

I'm finally back to main work stuff. was travelling for a wedding and holidays. Sometimes manga have little self-deprecating author-comics randomly inserted. Like a little chibi-author going "sorry I am so slow at drawing!!" That's basically my role here in the devlog.
pfaha

the level editor is included with the game right? i dont remember (((might be a good use of those old tilesets actually)

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: January 07, 2015, 05:25:13 AM »

I was thinking recently about how too many games are about fighting, mine included. Nice to see some other focus here.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: January 07, 2015, 11:06:40 PM »

G.J. - The notion of 'stake' you have osunds similar to Llaura's "anecdote" - or maybe I'm just relating these two concepts to understand them. There's a notion of trying to understand a Real WOrld System (e.g. capitalism). I think by having the 'stake' thing you mention - you can illuminate aspects of the system? So that's similar to Llaura's anecdote. The terms both get complicated-ish..but I think you both are going towards similar ideas, the usefulness of something in the category of The Marriage or in How Do You Do It.

Anyways I am thinking about the usefulness of small games vs long games. Small seem to be useful in the sense of being able to clearly (or more succinctly) attempt to articulate one's observations from their experience, illuminating an aspect of a Real World System: e.g. HDYDI with child sexuality, or whatever else game....alt games, etc...

the small vs long is definitely a too narrow spectrum. but you barely, barely (if ever?) see "alt games" with lengths over 2 or 3 hours or so. Maybe beeswing exceeds this, not sure - need to finish it

Well not quite, anecdote is descriptive of the art, stake is prescriptive. In fact anecdote as illustrated by Laura is closer to behavior than stake, and even with behavior anecdote is more likely to frame it rather than inform implementation. Anecdote to me is more a unite of "theming" inside a bigger theme.

But it seems that the discussion was tangentially about "the art" and more "the purpose" or "the cultural breadth" of the medium. I'll roll with it anyway Who, Me?

Consider one problem with game, in literature information is presented sequentially there is no problem of "direction" to the player as the direction is the linear unveiling of information fed by the sequence. Game can rely on sequence but that's not the forte of the medium. Anticipation is build through acquiring information that lead to the realization of a revelation will happen in the direction.

Stake allow to have both direction and anticipation by setting up tension, it's not theme as it depend on it and put it in narrative tension, nor anecdote as it isn't of the same nature, nor it is system as it does not describe behavior and ultimately it's not purely narrative as it describe abstract gameplay too (help define lose/win or gameplay pressure) but is not limited by it (help give to define the weight of pure dilemma and other narrative choice as well). So it's essentially a "art of writing" distinction, a useful cognitive tools to help organize and understand narration in game. It allow to find what is significant in a narrative or gameplay system without distinction between the two by framing where tension happen, as such it inform implementation. It's not about length at all.

Consider the following simple setting: a serial killer follow an unaware girl ... it has an implicit stake of survival, as such all interaction will be frame by the weight given by this stake, should the girl talk to someone and it allow the serial killer to get closer, all interaction will be seen by the weight stake put in them (you can have multiple stake).

So you have "direction" and meaning to interactions before there is even a system, behavior is complementary as the way they exist in stake convey meaning, for example the cops in civil prevent the serial killer to reach the girl we know the stake it allow to identify them by behavior alone (even though they might share similar mechanics or even system with the serial killer). All of that happen without TELLING just DOING, that's why Kopa's Lim is so efficient while being completely abstract.

But it also give you anticipation, because there is weight through possible consequence, as the distance of resolution is clearly defined by the proximity of all the elements (here physical with the serial killer to girl distance), it also give anticipation as tension rise as the resolution draw toward closure. This anticipation don't have to be specific to action or physical settings, it also work with emotional or abstract distance.

It also give control over pacing and revelation, let say the serial killer finally reach the girl, the reason we anticipate bad outcome is because we know he is a serial killer, but by using behavior we betray the logic and have the serial killer give the girl flower. Stake allow to understand the flow of information and how it impact the audience by its authored structure.

Now the reason I held "how do you do it" so highly is that it is a perfect demonstration of those effect. Interaction there aren't just illustrative they part of the expression of the stakes, that is the mystery of conception from a children point of view, the system is shallow ( rotate figure and collide them) but perfectly embody the behavior, and what makes it break from mere "illustration" (aka redundant or pointless addition to given information) is that each collision is rewarded with thought snippet and therefore act as a pay off that validate and express the closure of the works. As repeated collision and different poses give different snippet it allow a sens of progression. It work even greater because there is an illusion of progression where there is none and this is relevant to the theme, the little girl remain absolutely clueless even though her thought (imagination) progress on the matter and the audience is embarked in witnessing where she goes (which make the interaction meaningful). The punchline (the mother return) works because the tacit complicity of the audience and the knowledge distance between us (we know how to do it) and the girl (she still doesn't). It's a very rare and brilliant example that sublimate what I demonstrate above and actually show the full mastery of the concept beyond the direct use (as in the serial killer example).

But the pay off can be a dilemma too as in mass effect (the way they expose information during a mission as thesis and antithesis and lead the player to anticipate a choice to be made as the final pay off). Phenix wright also work by using rythm of stake/resolution at different hierarchical level, PT is another brillant demonstration of narrative leading with narrative pay off and tension between progression and anticipation (the player expect bad thing to happen, but bad thing only happen if he progress and make them happen, and progressing rely on understanding the narrative even though it's never clear, and each element convey information that build onto themselves).

To contrast, the small game you released about your asian identity failed to link the interaction with the text, it was confusing in that it was like a bad example of Chekhov gun, engaging with it was thematically illustrative to the message but didn't participate to it nor establish anything significant, it's there because it is introspective thought over a breakfast, but taking bit of cereal don't play with the works closure, it doesn't direct, have redundant meaning and build no anticipation. The actual stake was about asian identity and the tension between cultural heritage, social pressure and individual  aspirations. The text has a clear progression on this and cannibalize everything else.

That's quite the wall Who, Me? I hope you appreciate!

Edit:
Another way to put information flow in game is to look at this diagram of puzzle game, replace the term by appropriate narrative terms and it will complement what I demonstrate above.

Replace:
- problem by stake
- insight by interaction/exposition
- solution by realization
- application by resolution/pay off/punchline

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: January 08, 2015, 09:04:48 PM »

Thanks, that helps. I agree generally with the cereal game...I think that game is useful for me as a jumping point from which to draw material to explore in other games. The hard part for me is coming up with relevant gameplay...I feel like I'm not clever enough. I don't really know the process of making clever things, I guess it will maybe come with time and some people have an easier time with it. I think my being raised on textbook math and science has to do with this...oh well. Felt like I was discouraged from being a critical reader/writer blah blah blah i should jsut work harder

cutscenes
Anyways I've been programming a few cutscenes a day. I've fuond a really helpful technique is developing a general template for each cutscene and copy-pasting that. That's what I also do for entities - eliminating the mind-friction of having to type of boilerplate crap makes things a lot faster.

Boilerplate for entities (obstacles in the environment) are things like - setting up the code that sets properties, initiates the stuff abt the entity, stuff for signalling to children etc.

Boilerplate for cutscenes are - determining what events activate/deactivate it, spawning the necessary NPCs for the scene, setting up trigger regions, annotations. This is made easier by my Organizational Spreadsheet which is easy for reference for what flags things need, etc.

dark soles

I also been playing dark soules, which has been frustrating-ish but is getting a bit easier after figuring out crafting and elemental advantages and stuff.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 08:41:01 AM by Sean Hogan (seagaia) » Logged

play hydlide 2
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: January 09, 2015, 11:54:04 AM »

Wait!
I didn't meant to criticize your work, I was meant to illustrate the discourse in hop it help improve the art!
I understand the context in which it was made, as self expression and exploration!

If that can comfort you my perspective on narration come from dry "almost mathematical analysis" (I talk about distance between element), I had bad grad in humanity Who, Me? (it rely on too many exceptions and vague description).
it's not about being clever as I have devoted a lot of time to think about it in order to produce things something that is reliably provable. If anything I wanted to contribute by offering concept that may help you come with more informed idea about realizing game.

I feel bad because it seems that I hit straight on your identity with my analysis whithout care. I'm sorry!

melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: January 09, 2015, 04:32:06 PM »

Oh it's okay! Your words do help as a framework for analysis, so thanks! - I already knew the cereal game is weak with the gameplay and more powerful in terms of pure narrative.

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: January 13, 2015, 03:31:17 PM »

this is a devlog update

cutscene programminG1

and art drawing

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: January 15, 2015, 07:54:09 AM »

here's another devlog update. i added more cutscene stuff. i need to add more cutscene stuff. we are adding sitting. i need to finish a level today

play hydlide 2
melos
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: January 19, 2015, 10:33:53 AM »

Longer devlog update coming! I participated in a group critique session over the weekend with Willy (of Relativity: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=37314.520;topicseen ), Benedict Fritz and Greg Wohlwend, and Kevin and John from Young Horses (Octodad).

the depth jam!! (the group critique)

The critique had two sessions: the first part was a few days before, where we sent builds of our games + questions related to the games, - e.g. what to look for. In Greg/Benedict and Young Horses cases, they had earlier prototypes and so were looking for possible pathways to the future, things we liked/disliked, comments. In Willy and I's case we were looking for more specific things such as communication through the level/world design.

So on Saturday we met for about 6 hours, spending about 1 hour per group discussing the game. With ETO, I gave a build of only a single Gauntlet area, one of the first ones (the Shore area you've been seeing a lot of).

On EtO design
I mainly asked for general feedback on difficulty and if anything seemed unclear. The most unclear thing was the level design and energy mechanic making it feel unclear whether a player's failure to get through a room was based in a lack of the correct energy or an execution failure on the player's part.

The ideal design of the game is for there to never be a required energy level for any one part, and I made some of the rooms too hard or require a specific energy level. So a solution there is thinking through each room more carefully - if it seems like it's more beneficial to have white energy, I may want to adjust it slightly so there's a way you can use more purple energy, etc, Or i may want to design the room so that neither have a clear advantage, but do this without removing the ideas created by my usage of objects. It's just a matter of iteration and practice to get this right.

And over time we hope that as a player plays Even the Ocean, they gain an intuition of the way their velocities scale- the system of velocity changing is inherently difficult to understand as it is smoothly interpolated - you have a fixed run/jump velocity for the innter 20% of the bar, a fixed exaggerated effect for the outer 10%, and a smoothly interpolated effet for the other30% chunks.

It was unintuitive for the other players, but I think with a good intro level that demonstrates advantages of each energy (without making them required), and more careful level design, the game will not be as unintentionally difficult.

One suggestion was that we make it so that there are only 5 levels of different velocities, but Jon and I discussed it and thought that it may end up leading to make the game feel more puzzle-y, and it may be better to just fix the level design. The reason I think that came up was I had mentioned wanting the player to be able to express themselves through the design of the energy...but it's really only abt that once you master the intuition for where the energy bar is at. And so the smooth interpolation of the energy now is fine as long as we fix the level design.

--

Debug Tools!

also a thing I realized is how useful debug tools are! If you have the programming savvy to do so, MAKE YOUR OWN DEBUG/DESIGN TOOLS!! (Preferably in-game). ETO has the ability to hot-load dialogue, event scripts, level design, animations, etc.

Over thousands of compilations, the ability to instantly iterate on level design makes life much much easier.

--

pictures!

here i am showing ETO

we are eating lunch. i am contemplating the menu

play hydlide 2
Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1419 on: January 19, 2015, 07:19:41 PM »

That critique thing sounds pretty cool, wish we had more people to that with where I live.

Also Sean are you going to upload the Anodyne anniversary stream once you've finished playing?
I wasn't awake at the time so I didn't get to watch it.

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 87
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic